Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hanimex H mount 47mm adapter / adaptor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Hanimex H mount 47mm adapter / adaptor Reply with quote

At some point in the 1960s, Tokina produced lenses with a 47mm thread mount alternative to the standard, Tamron developed 42mm T interchangeable mount. Both mounts have a .75mm thread pitch. And I would think the mount registers would be the same, but I'm not certain.

These 47mm mount Tokina made lenses were sold under a variety of brand names including Hanimex. And Hanimex used the letter H to refer to the 47mm mount.

T mount adapters are readily available at online buying sites, but in my experience 47mm / H mount adapters are difficult to find separate from lenses. So if one needs an adapter for a 47mm mount lens, the best source is probably to buy a lens with an adapter attached. But since 42mm T mount adapters and 47mm adapters appear the same externally, it's difficult to distinguish them without actually checking the diameter of the lens mount. Most of the 47mm adapters I've seen are silver, but some are black.

Fortunately, Hanimex sold accessory 47mm H adapters. And there's currently (2021, January) a U.S. ebay seller with a supply of H adapters for M42 screw mount. And I recently bought one.
In case the adapters sell out, I don't want to disappoint anyone by including a bogus link. So for current and potential future searches, I'd use these terms: "Hanimex H Adaptor Ring". Note the spelling of adaptor. Although the seller I bought my adapter from uses "adapter" in their listing.

These are photos of the Hanimex adapter I bought:

My H adapter was apparently new old stock and unused. The first time I tried to screw it onto a 47mm mount, there was some resistance. So I double checked the thread pitch on the adapter and the mount and they're both .75mm. So I think the issue was slightly imprecise milling of the adapter. After I used a little more effort, the adapter screwed on fully and the lens has the correct focus range.

There's no writing on the adapter itself and the box doesn't actually state the adapter is for 47mm. But if you find a Hanimex adapter box with "H", it should be for 47mm. Also, the orientation adjustment screws on the H adapter are shorter than screws in other 47mm and T2 adapters I've used. So be aware not to back them out too far when making adjustments.

What about alternatives or hacks for a 47mm mount adapter? The only one I've tried is taking the threaded, inner ring out of a 42mm T2 adapter and placing the outer ring onto the 47mm mount. The inner diameter of the (outer) T2 ring is 48mm, so it fits over the 47mm mount, but it's loose.

Perhaps long screws could secure the outer T2? Or maybe glue? I would think the register would still be about right, but I'm not sure.

Reference links:

https://www.heritagecameras.co.uk/hanimex-h-tokina-47mm-mount--a-different-take-on-interchangeable-lens-mounts-55-c.asp

http://forum.mflenses.com/vemar-old-tokina-135-2-8-t38951,highlight,%2Btokina+%2B135+%2B2+%2B8.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-mount

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Thank you! Like 1 that clears several mysteries!

A colleague said conventially words ending "er" refer to the person while "or" refer to the object. Maybe opposite when applied to computers...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, vis.

And, yes, English can be a confusing language. I was wondering about the difference between adapter and adaptor.
Just off the top of my head, I would've guessed an adapter was a device, and an adaptor was a person who adapts.

But I can also see it being the other way around! Question Very Happy