Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor / Marexar / Vivitar 85mm 1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:08 am    Post subject: Soligor / Marexar / Vivitar 85mm 1.8 Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I came here to seek help, since i have no idea how to proceed with a lens repair, and hope you can provide some help Smile

I got a very old "Marexar 85mm 1.8" lens together with some others, and it is in a rather bad condition with loads of fog and fungus but i can deal with that ( as far as it can be dealt with at all). For me it was really hard to find anything regarding its disassembly, so i just started it and it is rather simple to remove the front lens package as well as the rear lens package.
The real problem now is that the aperture blades are mechanically "stuck". I think some blades slipped out of their position and the rest just cannot move properly any more.
I want to open the aperture box and clean and reassamble the blades, but i cannot find a way to open it.

The only screws close to the aperture ring that would be needed to be removed first (my guess) is part of the helicoid end stop. And i want to avoid opening the focusing mechanism as long as i can ( i got a trauma from doing this by accident for another lens ).

thanks for any feedback Smile

p.s.:
This post does not show images for me. It shows only correct in preview. Do you see images? :/
p.p.s:
Here is a forum link discussing theses lenses:
http://forum.mflenses.com/tele-vivitar-85mm-f-1-8-t80513.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked on this lens many years ago so take this with a grain of salt. To be able to lift the aperture you first have to remove that grey "ring" that is keeping it in place, once removed you can lift the ring/tube that holds the blades. If i remember correctly, you ll have to lift it a bit, then remove the lateral screw before being able to lift it off completely. It looks that on your copy the ring might be black, hard to tell from the pics but i don t see it. Be very careful, the blades don t have pins but are "pressed" in place and are NOT removable from the ring that holds them, the "L" shaped part of the blades fits into grooves on the ring you re trying to remove.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I think you are totally right. It looks like there is this spring-ring with a gap in #1, that holds the aperture box in place. In addition there is a PIN? or sealed screw that might be needed to be removed (#2) i ll have a look later. In the mean time additional thoughts are more then welcome Smile

[/img]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you have to remove that spring ring, you start by "pulling" one end toward the center of the lens. The pin is the end of a lateral screw i wrote about, it goes in the lower aperture ring, it s well visible in one of your pictures (pic number 6). If i remember correctly it will be acessible by slightly pullig up that tube/ring after you remove the spring ring, but i might be wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, i could remove the spring ring thing quite easily but it does not seem to do the trick. I think the outer aperture ring has to be removed to reach the screw that locks the aperture blade groove ring to the barrel. Any thoughts how i could remove this? Should i unscrew the "infinity" ring below? at some point i have nothing to lose :/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extra news:

I ve been correct. You have to unscrew the "infintiy" stop, change focus to close distance and then pull that infinity ring down towards the rear of the lens. Then you can reach that screw to unlock the aperture assembly. With two hooks you can lift the aperture groove ring and end up with the blades in a nice flower assembly :<
Now lets hope that i can bring the L shaped blades back to the grove positions!

I guess is should clean the blades from the oil(?) since that might have caused the problem right?
Any guidance on how to align the blade fins to the aperture groove ring? closed? opened?

thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes clean everything, you can use various solvents, google it. When putting everything back set the blades to fully open, slowly lover the grooved ring on top of it, make sure that the hole for the screw is also in the wide open position (one end of the travel). Gently move the grooved ring left-right, the blades tend to "jump" into place easily, for the ones that don t gently use tweezers to allign them, just don t push the grooved ring, it must fall into place on its own weight. Check all of the blades before putting back the spring ring. When testing be careful not too over close the aperture! Put back the screw and the lower aperture ring.

Mine lens came with 2 or 3 blades dislodged from the ring, i remember taking out the ring that holds the blades (i used the tip of a tooth stick to fix the blades lol), if you really want to clean the blades you must do it from both sides.