Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FD 50mm f1.4 reassembly help needed
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:25 am    Post subject: Canon FD 50mm f1.4 reassembly help needed Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
Recently i bought a canon fd 50mm f1.4 SSC lens (breach lock) of ebay.it had two major issues,

1.tight focus ring and 2.Oil on the aperture blades.

So, ignoring all the warnings from everyone I ventured into dismantling the lens to clean it up.
I realized it has been serviced previously but the grease used doesnt seem to appropriate and was black and thick causing the issues. i cleaned up everything, ordered a grease from japan hobby tool@ amazon

Ok, now coming to the issue, I forgot to mark the resting positions of the outer helicoid with respect to the inner. I spent almost half a day trying to figure how to get those positions for putting it back together.

So, the help I need is, Is there a process of guessing or calculating the correct postion for the helicoids. I have tried other forums and the answer I get is , its done and cant be recovered. Could really use some wise words from the folks of this forum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Canon FD 50mm f1.4 reassembly help needed Reply with quote

Dibya1712 wrote:
Hi Folks,
Recently i bought a canon fd 50mm f1.4 SSC lens (breach lock) of ebay.it had two major issues,

1.tight focus ring and 2.Oil on the aperture blades.

So, ignoring all the warnings from everyone I ventured into dismantling the lens to clean it up.
I realized it has been serviced previously but the grease used doesnt seem to appropriate and was black and thick causing the issues. i cleaned up everything, ordered a grease from japan hobby tool@ amazon

Ok, now coming to the issue, I forgot to mark the resting positions of the outer helicoid with respect to the inner. I spent almost half a day trying to figure how to get those positions for putting it back together.

So, the help I need is, Is there a process of guessing or calculating the correct postion for the helicoids. I have tried other forums and the answer I get is , its done and cant be recovered. Could really use some wise words from the folks of this forum

Quoted to show photos. Yours will appear after second post.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: disassembly canon fd 50mm f1.4 SSC Reply with quote

Good day, I don't know the lens, but I can tell you these links, I hope they can be of help
Cesare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXtYcT86DnU
https://www.fujix-forum.com/threads/canon-fd-1-4-50-scc-service-manual.87153/
https://diediemustdive.wordpress.com/2018/10/02/canon-50mm-f-1-8-fd-sc-version-i-overhaul/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8gwj7D_imM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks so much, they are really detailed but yeah everyone makes a point of marking those points and unfortunately I didn't.
Also do you have advice on removing stubborn screws? It's stuck and won't remove

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use two techniques: the first is to use an ear stick dipped in acetone for the nails, the second is to inject with an insulin syringe a mini drop of WD 40 on the screw head (the WD 40 must be put in a small glass jar beforehand)
cesare

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, I have tried acetone/nail polish remover but to no help. I believe those screws were replaced during the last time it was serviced, but can't be sure. I can see some gunk all dried up.
Yesterday I tried taking cigarette lighter and heating the screws hoping it would help. Still nothing
There are two things left for me to try, wd-40 or just drill them out. Although I'm not quite enthusiastic about the second option given its hard to find those screws.

About wd-40, how long should I keep them submerged, I have almost separated every part of the lens so not that part is just separated not worried about damaging anything else

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important thing when removing tight screws is to have the correct screwdriver. The ones you show in your picture are just inadequate. Get a good quality screwdriver of the correct type and size and with a good size grip. You'll probably find it's all you need.

As for finding the correct way to reassemble the helicoids. Trial end error is the only way I know. You'll have to take a shot at it, reassemble the lens enough that you can check the focus and see if you can achieve the full range of focus. If not, you need to dismantle and try a different position. By watching how the lens works, you should be able to work out which way you need to go from the first position you tried.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I got a set of 'Vessel' JIS (made in Japan) which was highly recommended in lot of other lens forums, but I find them too small for grip atleast for this stubborn screw, but they are of perfect size for the screws. Getting a proper JIS set is a difficult task. Do you have any recommendation?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needless to say they are expensive than other precision sets I purchased earlier😕

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dibya1712 wrote:
. . .
I got a set of 'Vessel' JIS (made in Japan) which was highly recommended in lot of other lens forums, but I find them too small for grip at least for this stubborn screw . . .

The JIS set I have was inexpensive, but I was able to also buy a larger accessory handle which gives me more leverage.

And to get an even better grip, I use a dishwashing rubber glove - either just wrapped around the driver handle or actually worn on my hand in tough situations. I find rubber gloves to also be helpful for getting a grip on lens barrels.

To help free stubborn screws, I rely on heat, isopropyl alcohol and / or acetone. When feasible, submerging a glued screw (or other part) in alcohol for several hours has worked for me when the other methods haven't.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dibya1712 wrote:
Thanks for your reply. I got a set of 'Vessel' JIS (made in Japan) which was highly recommended in lot of other lens forums, but I find them too small for grip atleast for this stubborn screw, but they are of perfect size for the screws. Getting a proper JIS set is a difficult task. Do you have any recommendation?

I know many people say you should use JIS screwdrivers but I don't and I've never had an issue. I use Philips 00 and 0 size Wera drivers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, and I'm sure you know this anyway, the way you hold a screwdriver makes a big difference with tight screws. Holding it like this

is a lot more effective than the more usual way.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you folks for you reply. I'll definitely find something with a bigger handle for gripping. In the mean time I reached out to"japanhobbytools" about the stuck screw. I received a response so fast for a moment that I thought it was a automated mail, but it was from their director. He suggested to try their penetrating oil and screw driver that has a bigger handle. I was impressed by their response, But they ship from Japan and its going to be a while and I don't have patience.
So, this is what I decided will be my next steps, over the weekend I'll head out to walmart and grab a can on "pb blaster" and "liquid wrench". Try spraying on the screw. Next would be a screw remover.
While, I wait for all these to happen I cleaned the aperture blades to remove the oil. And boy I must say putting back the aperture blades specially the last blade is a test for your patience. I advice to clean it without dismantling the setup.
Will update once I try something new

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

55 wrote:
Dibya1712 wrote:
. . .
I got a set of 'Vessel' JIS (made in Japan) which was highly recommended in lot of other lens forums, but I find them too small for grip at least for this stubborn screw . . .

The JIS set I have was inexpensive, but I was able to also buy a larger accessory handle which gives me more leverage.

And to get an even better grip, I use a dishwashing rubber glove - either just wrapped around the driver handle or actually worn on my hand in tough situations. I find rubber gloves to also be helpful for getting a grip on lens barrels.

To help free stubborn screws, I rely on heat, isopropyl alcohol and / or acetone. When feasible, submerging a glued screw (or other part) in alcohol for several hours has worked for me when the other methods haven't.

HI, where did you get them, I cant find them on Amazon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dibya1712 wrote:

HI, where did you get them, I cant find them on Amazon

On ebay. The seller I bought my drivers from is no longer active, but this appears to be the same set I have (I don't know if this seller offers the accessory handle):

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Will check them out. I need to figure a handle for then

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks an update, I finally assembled it back. I didn't had to remove those screws after all, just like someone said, if could disassemble it without removing you should be able to put it back. It was true, although removing screws might have made it Little easier