Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Viviar 28mm F2 (Kiron) good for character?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:20 pm    Post subject: Viviar 28mm F2 (Kiron) good for character? Reply with quote

So, I won a brand new Vivitar 28mm F2 still sealed in its box, but its the not as desirable Kiron version.

I still have the option to cancel (still, only 40$) but one filmmaker on youtube says that this soft lens is actually really cool at F2 because of how wierd the bokeh, softneas qnd colors are.

Your thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Kiron f/2 28mm suffers from coma in the outer field when used wide open for astro, which is what I bought it for, so a bit disappointing in that regard.
I've not tried it for anything else.
It's a bit of a lump for day-to-day work and I've got lighter, albeit smaller aperture lenses that I know will usually serve my purposes.
My Petri 28mm f/2 is also somewhat lighter and takes smaller (49mm) filters … I've got plenty of those Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soft wide open at infinity, but that isn't really a use case anyway. Just stop down a bit. It has great Bokeh. Better than the wonky weird bokeh the Komine variant shows.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/randomdump/albums/72157674616209422
My album.

Sample
Close focussing 30cm bokeh by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at that! Fantastic
That's the Kiron 28 F2?

Also it is my understanding that some Kirons have oily blades and some don't, perhaps differences in the grease used on the workbench for each one?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coyote23 wrote:
Look at that! Fantastic
That's the Kiron 28 F2?

Also it is my understanding that some Kirons have oily blades and some don't, perhaps differences in the grease used on the workbench for each one?

Yes the Kino variant (Kiron is a Kino brand). It was also sold under several different brand names (I know of a Panagor). They are all basically the same lens.

22xxxxx serial number
Vivitar 28mm F2.0 Kiron by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kiron made (24mm and) 28mm f2's are well known for being prone to getting oily iris blades. I wrote this piece on cleaning them:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/114-maintenance-repair-articles/391582-kiron-vivitar-28mm-f2-24mm-f2-sticky-iris-fix.html

I have the kiron nameplate 28mm f2 - this can be found in PKA mount. It is my most used 28mm, because of the convenience of PKA connection on my pentaxes and because of the iq - good central sharpness pretty much from f2, colours and "pop".