Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cleaning heliopan circ pol
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject: Cleaning heliopan circ pol Reply with quote

Hi. Maybe not the right forum, if not, admin please help. Thanks.
I found this filter in a charity shop too cheap to be left, it looked quite dirty but at first look it all seemed to be on the external surfaces. Well, it is not. It's all inside...
So has anyone a clue if this filter can be opened and how? Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Degradation of the polarizing film on the polarizer?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Degradation of the polarizing film on the polarizer?

+1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did open to clean couple of pol filters , in my case ,they open just like lenses , at least one side it's got to have notches to release the ring with a spanner or rubber tools. I've never seen a degradation in the pol filters yet, most I have are heliopan.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I don't see any notches. 🤔 And haven't heard of pol film degradation yet. I suppose there would't be any remedy for that, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Heliopan filters (and B+W filters for that matter) use retaining rings without notches; you need a rubber retainer ring removal tool to unscrew them. Seems to be more common on modern slim-line filters; older filters often still have a retainer ring with notches for a spanner.

HOYA and many other filters are held in place by a slightly undulating retaining spring clip, which secures the glass as well as presses it up against a machined flange in the filter holder.

As to the PL filter issue, could be cement degradation; the polariser filters I have taken apart all had their front-glass / PL-film / rear-glass triple sandwich cemented together, so no chance of separating the glass from the polariser filter anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a rubber tool used on the bezel should allow you to disassemble.

It's pretty common for filters that have been sitting in plastic or foam padded cases for some time to get an oily haze due to outgassing of the polymers in the case.
Typically it will wipe right off with lens fluid. If this particular filter is airgapped rather than cemented on either side, that could be the cause, and you might be able to clean the surfaces.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Too bad. I tossed it... 😕 Kept the box... 😊