Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What collecting actually means
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: What collecting actually means Reply with quote

Collecting is aquiring gear just for the pleasure to won it on Ebay, received it, and place it on a shelf without using it to avoid scratching this mintexc+++++++ thing you bought" Very Happy

I think I had a strong Gear Aquisition Syndrome... I did not remember I had these toys Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I call a very narrow-minded view of "collecting" - I assume it was meant as a joke Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From http://aohc.it/testi.php?id_testi=40

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: What collecting actually means Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
Collecting is aquiring gear just for the pleasure to won it on Ebay, received it, and place it on a shelf without using it to avoid scratching this mintexc+++++++ thing you bought" Very Happy

I think I had a strong Gear Aquisition Syndrome... I did not remember I had these toys Rolling Eyes

I am now at this stage. It was interesting that when I checked my collection during 2003-2006, I found that I had collected quite some lenses already. So mint copy is for display and appreciation; ugly or bargain copy is for actual use...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: What collecting actually means Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
Collecting is aquiring gear just for the pleasure to won it on Ebay, received it, and place it on a shelf without using it to avoid scratching this mintexc+++++++ thing you bought"

as soon as i found myself doing that (buying stuff and not shooting with it), i scaled back on buying stuff, felt like doing it for the wrong reasons; for the first year or so i bought basically anything i found besides generic zooms, trying now to only buy stuff that is either an improvement on what i have, or too awesome to pass up

unless its a cheap mirror lens or a fast 50 lol, i'll still buy all that crap

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: What collecting actually means Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:

Makes absolute sense. Mint Exc+++++++ usually means balsam separation and a spinning aperture ring. The best place for it is therefore the shelf, no? Wink .

I scaled back on purchases a few months ago, in the main, because I was loosing track of what I had. I suspect I'm not alone in experiencing this. The length of time it took me to stop grazing ebay on a regular basis surprised me, although I have reduced my buying by about two-thirds, perhaps more. I think the problem I really have is that I don't sell anything, and so my collection, for that is what it now is although I swore I would only buy to use, is not rationalised. If the collection made sense, than I could probably control it better.

Why am I so feared of selling? I keep telling myself I'd hate someone having a bad experience, but I think I need to get over that somehow.

Onwards...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Now that I call a very narrow-minded view of "collecting" - I assume it was meant as a joke Wink

Yes, that was self-derision Wink I have surprised myself with all the various gear I found in bags. Years ago, I was buying almost every thing I found made by Pentax and some of them never had been displayed on a shelf or used by myself.

vivaldibow wrote:

I am now at this stage. It was interesting that when I checked my collection during 2003-2006, I found that I had collected quite some lenses already. So mint copy is for display and appreciation; ugly or bargain copy is for actual use...

That's the point of my reflexion that started some months ago. I do not want to use mint lenses, having mint + used lenses is not an option (too much lenses, more bucks spent..), so I've decided to reduce my gear to the minimum of use, and replace most of the Takumar by modern lenses that I can replace in 2 days if broken. Even a used Takumar cannot be replaced fast, and at a variable price. The only ones I will keep are the ultra rare ones like the 83/1.9, 100/3.5, 300/5.6. These pics are a small part of all the pics I took to sell the unwanted-more gear. I will have spent a whole day to take all of them...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it first was getting some cheap lenses to play with, then it was to get a set of full frame glass to use when Pentax finally came out with a full frame and then it changed into collecting all manual Pentax/Takumar glass I could reasonably afford. A sideline for Panagor lenses. Next to that I have started collecting lenses for their bokeh characteristics. So You could say I collect bokeh. (And rendering quality).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What collecting actually means Reply with quote

[quote="benadamx"]
CarbonR wrote:
as soon as i found myself doing that (buying stuff and not shooting with it), i scaled back on buying stuff, felt like doing it for the wrong reasons; for the first year or so i bought basically anything i found besides generic zooms, trying now to only buy stuff that is either an improvement on what i have, or too awesome to pass up

I agree. I don't like the feeling of accumulating lenses I don't use. Now that I have a whole bunch of them and I have a good conception of what makes a good lens vs. a great lens, and a good conception of the kind of lens I like to use, I only jump on specific kinds of items or irresistible bargains.

I completely understand the desire to collect, but I'm a user.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody seen one of these?

From https://www.butkus.org/chinon/pentax/pentax_6x7_marine/pentax_6x7_marine.htm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow visualopsins! I watched ebay P67 on ebay virtually every day for a couple of years to try to understand the camera and its gear and never saw that. I never knew they even made that! Underwater the weight and bulk of that giant SLR would not have been nearly as problematic.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Wow visualopsins! I watched ebay P67 on ebay virtually every day for a couple of years to try to understand the camera and its gear and never saw that. I never knew they even made that! Underwater the weight and bulk of that giant SLR would not have been nearly as problematic.

My first time seeing was today.

Pentax had some really nice extensive systems over the years, some like me focused on a certain era, collecting as much of the system as possible...CarbonR probably had the Pentax Spotmeter too like me.

All of us have camera bodies laying around from purchases just for lens, accessories too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew the Submarine 6x7 because I have a bunch of old papers with it mentionned (thanks for remembering them, I also have to sell them I forgot them !)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it pretty weird to buy lens and forget about it. If you are interested in the lens you buy, you won't forget it, even if you don't use it during many years.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BurstMox wrote:
I find it pretty weird to buy lens and forget about it. If you are interested in the lens you buy, you won't forget it, even if you don't use it during many years.

If you have over 160 lenses it is easy to forget about some of them Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
BurstMox wrote:

I can confirm... And that's even more true for accessories I do not use.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
BurstMox wrote:

I have 450+ soviet lenses, I can't imagine buying a lens that I don't remember owning it already.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What collecting actually means Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:

As has already been stated, this is a narrow-minded and ignorant view.

My late friend Charlie Barringer, co-author of The Zeiss Icon Compendium and one of the founders of Zeiss Historica, was a prodigious collector. He acquired Zeiss equipment to better understand it development and production variants: all those Contaxes and Sonnars to fit them! For the joy of ownership: all those RMS thread macro lenses! And of course Zeiss and other gear to use.

I've acquired various bits of gear hoping to use them eventually. Example. Years ago I bought a used Nikon ES-1 Slide Copying Adapter. Screw it into the front of a 55 mm Micro-Nikkor, pop a slide in it, pull it out (two concentric tubes) and ready to go. Now when I want to digitize one or two slides, I grab it instead of the PB-4 and PS-4 I bought new in 1970. In Bitburg, Klaus. The ES-1 is easier to set up. $5 well spent. One never knows what will turn out to be useful.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow relates to this topic: http://forum.mflenses.com/manual-focus-lenses-forum-subgenre-folks-t82042.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me collecting is many things. Most importantly learning about vintage camera technology. But also as a non stockmarrket small scale investment tool. (OK I'm rationalizing now!) Then using the gear in a creative endeavor. Figuring out how to make interesting photographs with some random piece of vintage optical equipment,

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the humor that the O/P was trying for. Could be a mis-firing google translator at work too. I come across that a fair amount on this page.

For myself, there's a fair amount of dross piling up. I don't really mind, because most of it was very low cost.
I am building a stable of M/F lenses now that I couldn't even dream of back in the late 70's-early 80's when photography was actually work. Most are Nikkor, but I'm still a sucker for the dirt cheap stuff. Wink
There's a couple of Vivitar quick zooms that had a frame or two taken with, and then relegated to the storage closet. Heck, I even do that with camera bodies I thought I wanted...

Current weakness right now is ribbed metal focusing tubes. Tomorrow it could be twin ring zooms, which I have yet to try seriously....
I can relate to the fella unable to sell. I have been through this phase before with sporting arms, which is a whole nother side of a many faceted coin...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
BurstMox wrote:

i haven't (unintentionally) bought any doubles yet, but more than a few times now i have read about a lens and decided i wanted one, only to realize that i already had it (usually via it coming in a bundle with something else i wanted)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:

I can relate to the fella unable to sell. I have been through this phase before with sporting arms, which is a whole nother side of a many faceted coin...

-D.S.

That's called offering a bit of perspective. Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My collecting started when I bought a Pentax K10 around 2007 and I started to buy M42 and older PK lenses. I did have some Canon FD and EOS stuff from the 1970's, but not much. Then I bought a NEX5, A6000 and A7II..... Rolling Eyes

Now I have a spreadsheet to keep track of all the stuff, with 324 lenses, 60 SLR Cameras and 58 assorted TLR's, Rangefinders and Folders Shocked and it's a huge mix, I have lenses in nearly every mount except Nikon, I don't dislike Nikon, I just resisted yet another system to accumulate!
I don't collect any particular brand or type, although I do like my Takumar's. And I have nothing of any great rarity or value, I sold my most expensive lens, the Noritar 17 / 4, because I preferred to use my Tokina 17 / 3.5. Which is the basis of my collecting, I use my lenses, and sometimes the cameras. I will go for a walk most days and will often grab a lens at random - it's a challenge to use a slow 200mm lens in the woods when it's raining, but I enjoy it.

Most of my collection has come from buying 'everything' as a job lot in Charity Shops, and buying whole kits I see advertised on local sales pages. I get lucky sometimes and get the better 1.4 / 50's and nice Macro lenses and good cameras, but there's a lot of slow zooms, crappy compacts and Zenit / Praktica's to get rid of. But I sell them dirt cheap and eventually they go.
I guess I'm a 'bottom feeder' collector, I will buy the cheap stuff all day long, pick the good stuff and sell the dross.