Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First test shots Nikkor Ai 85mm f/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
The Nikkor seems to be quite suitable for landscape photography as well.

I agree. I've gotten some very nice landscapes with it. With extension tubes you can get great macro results too. Be sure to use a long hood if you try that - just a recommendation from experience.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="KEO"]
caspert79 wrote:
With extension tubes you can get great macro results too.

It doesn't take much of an extension tube to get nice results with my f 1.8 nikkor "K".
Shortest tube in my 3 piece n.p.s. set gives bright and clear renditions.

I haven't tried much with a reversing ring- could be interesting.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more pictures of today:

NikkorAi85mmf2451 by devoscasper, on Flickr

NikkorAi85mmf2444zw by devoscasper, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1
Nice work.
We still have un-opened flowers here too, and it is getting awfully late in the summer for that...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your images are very nice.
Too many critics of lenses don't bother to try to understand the lens' strengths, and pour scorn where it is not deserved.
I sometimes think that these people have a single yardstick which they use to judge every lens, and they are too lazy to explore what the lens has to offer.
Reviews should be read with caution, I have found
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Your images are very nice.
Too many critics of lenses don't bother to try to understand the lens' strengths, and pour scorn where it is not deserved.
I sometimes think that these people have a single yardstick which they use to judge every lens, and they are too lazy to explore what the lens has to offer.
Reviews should be read with caution, I have found
Tom

Thank you. The only 'weakness' I have discovered is some softness wide open. In a portrait lens that is not really a weakness IMO. It could be for other purposes. But once stopped down to f/2.8 it is very sharp and contrasty. I don't see any greyness or dullness that have been reported by some people. Colors turn out very vivid, more so than the Nikkor HC 85/1.8 I used to have.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the "K" factory A/I conversion of this lens.

Back when I was a working photographer, they were the Nikkor to have.
They were seriously priced- well out of my affordable range.

I'm not sure how to feel about this lens, now that I finally have one.
It does what it was intended for quite well.
Most of the time it sits in the bottom of the bag un-used.
It's MFD is a bit on the longish side, but no real handi-cap in actual use.
Like yours, it's more or less a razor by f2.8.
I just don't seem to get into situations where it's focal length is required, which is no fault of the lens at all...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more wide open shots.

First, a portait (focus not exactly on eye):
DSC09884 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Good bokeh wide open:
DSC09879 by devoscasper, on Flickr

NikkorAi852DSC09892 by devoscasper, on Flickr

Did I already tell you I love this lens? And it fits in your pocket.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

That looks pretty good! I wonder whether the lens - obviously being a portrait lens - was optimized for these shorter distances? How does it perform at infinity, including corners?

That said, I'd prefer a "portrait" lens being as sharp/contrasty as possible at infinity (=useful also for landscape) and having reduced contrast at 1m ... 1.5 distances (for portraits). Such image characteristics are typical for Sonnars, and that's why many still like them very much for portraits.

S

PS The only comparable lens I'm really familiar with is the MD 2/85mm (tiny as well), but I have only used it for landscapes. Excellent performance even in the corners at f2.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

That looks pretty good! I wonder whether the lens - obviously being a portrait lens - was optimized for these shorter distances? How does it perform at infinity, including corners?

That said, I'd prefer a "portrait" lens being as sharp/contrasty as possible at infinity (=useful also for landscape) and having reduced contrast at 1m ... 1.5 distances (for portraits). Such image characteristics are typical for Sonnars, and that's why many still like them very much for portraits.

S

PS The only comparable lens I'm really familiar with is the MD 2/85mm (tiny as well), but I have only used it for landscapes. Excellent performance even in the corners at f2.

I find it really good for landscapes as well, also the corners. Although I didn't test that wide open.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, finally the infinity test. Camera used: Sony A7RII.

First an overview image:
overview by devoscasper, on Flickr

Then the crops:
comparison by devoscasper, on Flickr

Contrast is low at f/2, but there's actually good detail resolution in the center. I think this lens is usable as a landscape lens from f/2.8 on (the corners are not too bad actually at this setting). From f/5.6 the corners are pretty much perfect.
I also don't see any significant CA's, although this is probably not the best subject to test this.

How much detail does the lens capture actually wide open? Next image shows a comparison of the center cropped with adjusted levels and unsharp mask applied, compared to the center crop @f/8 without PP.
f2PostProcessing by devoscasper, on Flickr

I think this shows the level of detail is already really good wide open.

All in all a pretty strong performance at infinity IMO.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more shots from this morning.

@f/2 (standard settings RAW editor photoshop)
NikkorAI8527 by devoscasper, on Flickr

NikkorAI8528 by devoscasper, on Flickr

@f/8. Click twice to fully appreciate detail resolution. Standard settings PS RAW editor.
NikkorAI8529 by devoscasper, on Flickr