Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

using the Vivitar 135mm f/2.8 for macro photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: using the Vivitar 135mm f/2.8 for macro photography Reply with quote

I am myself rather new to the subject of manual/vintage lenses, so far, I only own the aforementioned Vivitar and an Industar 50-2. I am also a fan of anything experimental in photography, so obviously, the idea of repurposing not just vintage lenses for macro photography via the usage of extension tubes fascinates me. I was bored today, and I decided to mount this rather bright telephoto prime onto two extension tubes, totaling 52mm in lenght. After I had everything mounted on my EOS 77D, I went outside to shoot pictures of some flowers and possibly insects. Have a taste here (the shots are unedited).

It was an enjoyable time out, the lens feels really good in your hands, it's very heavy and entirely made of metal, the bright aperture opens up possibilities of very nicely blown out, undistracting backgrounds and obviously gives good speeds (usually about 1/1000), especially on bright cloudless days. Just don't point it at the sun, it might burn through the camera and then even your head! As much as I want to love this lens, however, that's where the positives (at least for macro) end. As you might see, a lot of the shots are plagued by intense longitudinal chromatic aberration, and that's a shame. A lot of the white flower shots are effectively spoiled. Some of the shots still turned out, but it really irks me. Anyway, thanks for reading my short review, I'm sorry if it felt clumsy. Make sure to tell me whether you'd like to see other vintage lenses reviewed this way and what you think of the photos. Good luck shooting.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for putting that up Fandyus. I really enjoyed it. It's surprising what you can get out of a lens when you re-purpose it. I'd agree that its producing a very nice bokeh. Personally, I'd be more than happy to see more of your experiments Like 1 .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice set of pictures Smile

An old 135mm lens on a tube or two is a favourite combination for me, especially when I've got the time and patience to settle down and "make" a picture, rather than the "buzz-click and move on" of a modern autofocus camera Wink

I do like the perspective achieved from being just that little bit further away from the subject matter than a lot of macro lenses allow and, of course, the characteristics of the out-of-focus areas can vary from lens to lens, making it a bit more of an "adventure" than the predictably clinical results from a modern multi-element zoom Wink

Enjoy Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots, Fandyus. Keep up the good work. Manual lenses are habit forming, especially those built back in the 70s -- solid metal and glass, they look and feel so robust compared to the modern stuff.

You just mention that your lens is a Vivitar 135mm f/2.8. I don't suppose this is the Close-Focus model with the 62mm filter threads? The Vivitar 135 CF is the only Vivitar with 62mm filter threads. Anyway, the 135 CF is an exceptionally good lens for macro photography. I'm fortunate enough to own one. I've never tried it out with extension tubes, but maybe I should. The results might be amazing.

Sony NEX 7, Vivitar 135 CF @ f/8, ISO 100

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Vivitar 135 CF with Vivitar 2X Macro Focus Focusing Teleconverter? Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice photos! However, I believe it is much more suited for the distant subjects:

https://scontent-waw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/91409543_2877295432357775_5242327903428935680_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=e007fa&_nc_oc=AQl4zBeoPMrfxIu7yH8EN09E5Qjbmht8V-DaBOZUKVnfEsWcOBou-yFKaU7RUR0PxUo&_nc_ht=scontent-waw1-1.xx&oh=eb55f4fde889ed3a56e2964878e91725&oe=5EC7C01A

https://scontent.fiev21-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/91767918_2877386212348697_2995446750715576320_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=e007fa&_nc_oc=AQkKX8j_CG3bSSXwc5l09r5Ywpu25xvI7VoyaN1XRbmtTXcQ5VcbhuKl2pKJXjfA7Ik&_nc_ht=scontent.fiev21-2.fna&oh=b7a712be8e673299bb9e206d96d28423&oe=5EC7735E

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
Thanks for putting that up Fandyus. I really enjoyed it. It's surprising what you can get out of a lens when you re-purpose it. I'd agree that its producing a very nice bokeh. Personally, I'd be more than happy to see more of your experiments Like 1 .

Thanks, I might eventually do the same with the Industar and maybe other lenses if I get my hands on them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
A nice set of pictures Smile

An old 135mm lens on a tube or two is a favourite combination for me, especially when I've got the time and patience to settle down and "make" a picture, rather than the "buzz-click and move on" of a modern autofocus camera Wink

I do like the perspective achieved from being just that little bit further away from the subject matter than a lot of macro lenses allow and, of course, the characteristics of the out-of-focus areas can vary from lens to lens, making it a bit more of an "adventure" than the predictably clinical results from a modern multi-element zoom Wink

Enjoy Smile

The perspective might just be the main advantage, it's definitely good for insects. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Nice shots, Fandyus. Keep up the good work. Manual lenses are habit forming, especially those built back in the 70s -- solid metal and glass, they look and feel so robust compared to the modern stuff.

You just mention that your lens is a Vivitar 135mm f/2.8. I don't suppose this is the Close-Focus model with the 62mm filter threads? The Vivitar 135 CF is the only Vivitar with 62mm filter threads. Anyway, the 135 CF is an exceptionally good lens for macro photography. I'm fortunate enough to own one. I've never tried it out with extension tubes, but maybe I should. The results might be amazing.

Thanks. I agree. And no, mine has a 55mm thread. I do really recommend extension tubes, they can convert almost any lens into a macro lens.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
How about Vivitar 135 CF with Vivitar 2X Macro Focus Focusing Teleconverter? Wink

I'd love to get my hands on one but I've bought a lot lately and I can't spend too much unfortunately. Perhaps someone else here can deliver?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleAlex wrote:
Very nice photos! However, I believe it is much more suited for the distant subjects:

https://scontent-waw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/91409543_2877295432357775_5242327903428935680_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=e007fa&_nc_oc=AQl4zBeoPMrfxIu7yH8EN09E5Qjbmht8V-DaBOZUKVnfEsWcOBou-yFKaU7RUR0PxUo&_nc_ht=scontent-waw1-1.xx&oh=eb55f4fde889ed3a56e2964878e91725&oe=5EC7C01A

https://scontent.fiev21-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/91767918_2877386212348697_2995446750715576320_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=e007fa&_nc_oc=AQkKX8j_CG3bSSXwc5l09r5Ywpu25xvI7VoyaN1XRbmtTXcQ5VcbhuKl2pKJXjfA7Ik&_nc_ht=scontent.fiev21-2.fna&oh=b7a712be8e673299bb9e206d96d28423&oe=5EC7735E

Thanks, I'd love to take such pictures as well but it's hard with an APS-C sensor. I do have a significant advantage in in macro over fullframe owners though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Michael (cooltouch) re the Komine made Vivitar 135mm CF lens. Here's a link to a couple of photos using mine:-

http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-komine-2-8-135-close-focusing-t71081,highlight,%2Bvivitar.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fandyus wrote:

I'd love to get my hands on one but I've bought a lot lately and I can't spend too much unfortunately. Perhaps someone else here can deliver?

Here are a few for you. Not especially artistic like those beautiful shots of Ed's, but they get the point across, I think. First thing I noticed was my sensor really needs cleaning bad!

The following photos were taken with my NEX 7 set to ISO 100 and using a Sony model HVL-F56AM flash, which was intended for use with film cameras, but I use it on my NEX 7 because the camera has that lame Minolta non-ISO flash shoe, and this flash has the foot for that shoe. Because it wasn't intended for use with digital cameras, its auto modes don't work. But it works ok in manual mode -- it has adjustable power so I can dial it in to the level I need.

I have mounted to my Vivitar 135mm f/2.8 Close Focus lens a Vivitar 7-element Macro-Focusing Teleconverter. The lens and teleconverter are in Nikon mount, so I'm using a NEX to Nikon adapter.

It was windy when I was taking my shots, which made the use of a flash for freezing action critical. I was shooting at 1/125 and apertures varied from f/2.8 to f/8, depending on ambient light.

First up are three shots of a flower I've never heard of before -- something my wife brought home the other day. It's called a Clematis and it's fairly large. Petals are six to seven inches (~ 15 to 18 cm) in diameter. The photo of the flower center is shot at 1:1 with both the lens and TC racked all the way out. Not including the adapter, the two pieces measure 9 inches (23 cm) long. The other two photos are shot at 1:2.

I focused on the flower center in this shot

I focused on the spiky things in this shot.

Following are just a couple of shots meant to show off the lens a bit. They were taken at 1:2 or perhaps a bit less.

Leaf cluster floating in pool

Spike on a cumquat tree -- focus is a little soft from wind movement.

One thing I really like about this lens is, even with everything set to 1:1, I have almost 2 feet of working distance between me and the subject. Having all that room just makes things so much easier.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Friends Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good pictures! This lens is a genuine joy to utilize, regardless of whether for close-up work or normal 135mm shooting. I like it for portraits as well...

Shockingly it truly begins being costly and hard to blade.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took mine out a couple of weeks ago with the intent of selling it (I got it and the 2xMFTC because I wanted reach, but my 180mm Tamron 3.5 is just too much better all round). It's not bad, you know? I think the optical design of this thing is just 4 elements ? It doesn't make at all a bad image given its simplicity and age.

common eggfly male on zinnia by PIG, on Flickr

orange tail and blue banded bee with cosmos by PIG, on Flickr

dragonfly on lomandra by PIG, on Flickr

snout nosed katydid on zinnia flower by PIG, on Flickr

honeybee on pink coral vine by PIG, on Flickr

This is one of those things where I have ridiculously many more photos from it than I ever got around to processing but there's an album of the rest (mostly from when I first got it and from using it with the TC on the E-P5) here -

https://flic.kr/s/aHsk8Aq85F

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Spectacular.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look great, but the close focussing version is a different design from the one the topic starter has:

close focussing a 1:2 Macro lens vs regular a 135mm lens

to prevent disappointment (pics Pentaxforums.com)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fandyus, Very nice shots! Alsom. Your Industar is also quite capable as a macro lens. And welcome to our little corner of the photography hobby!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Fandyus, Very nice shots! Alsom. Your Industar is also quite capable as a macro lens. And welcome to our little corner of the photography hobby!

thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

Agreed Michael--I've love the performance of the Komine-made Vivitar 135mm 2.8--it gets 1:2 macro on its own & performs nicely in all kinds of photography. I sometimes landscape w it: