Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Experiences with Patona batteries?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Experiences with Patona batteries? Reply with quote

For my Fuji (but also for the Panasonic) in the past I bought the Patona brand batteries because online they are the most recommended.
Few say they have the same performance as the originals but almost everyone seems to be satisfied, even professional photographers.
Obviously I am the only unfortunate one because more than once these batteries have failed (and fortunately I don't do it for work) and at this point if I had bought the originals I would have spent the same money but with greater reliability (the original ones sold with the Fuji still work perfectly).
From now on I will only buy original batteries.
What is your experience?

Ps: I have always used the original battery charger to recharge them, was this my mistake?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 5 batteries for my 3 Sony cameras, 3 Sony and 2 aftermarket batteries. I went to take a battery out of my A6000 and it was stuck solid, I had a terrible job getting it out, in the end I superglued a bit of plastic to the battery and wrenched the thing out of the camera! The battery had expanded, and it happened suddenly because the battery had slid in easily a few days before.

When I checked, accurately measured with a vernier caliper, the other batteries; the other non Sony had started to expand, but it was still able to fit easily into the camera. All the genuine Sony batteries were perfect, and still are. I think the oldest came with my NEX5 back in 2012.

I scrapped those 2 bad batteries and bought a couple more genuine Sony's. I wouldn't use non genuine again.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
When I checked, accurately measured with a vernier caliper, the other batteries; the other non Sony had started to expand, but it was still able to fit easily into the camera.

The same thing happened!
In another forum a user said Patona batteries can malfunction when recharged with the camera's original charger. The Patona charger must be used. This is probably true but, when I bought them, the seller didn't say it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a very negative experience with Patona for Fujifilm.

A bit over a year ago, I bought two Patonas. One of them doesn't take any charge at all anymore (in contrast, all of my much older Fujifilm batteries still work!). When I contacted the seller, they simply told me that the battery was too old(!) so they couldn't do anything for me.

Unfortunately I read more negative stories about Patona ... I don't think I am going to buy them again (and definitely not from the same seller).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have half a dozen no-brand batteries for my Sony A7 and A6000, some from my Nex5. I have never had a problem. Perhaps Patona is one to avoid.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
Perhaps Patona is one to avoid.

Sure sounds like it. Exclamation

SterlingTek used to be the go-to for reliable third-party batteries,
and I had several, but they no longer seem to be such a large
market presence as they once were. I couldn't find any STKs
for the Canon 5d MkIV, and found very few for other cameras.

Nowadays, the folks at POTN mostly go for the Wasabi batteries.
I did too, getting 2 batteries and a charger for less than the cost
of a single OEM battery for the 5D MkIV. They're higher capacity,
charge faster, and don't deplete as fast as OEM.
People report reliable use for many years.