Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon Lens FD 500mm 1:4.5 L
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Canon Lens FD 500mm 1:4.5 L Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you should be pleased with that.
Tripod mount will likely give it extra sharpness as well
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FD 500mm f4.5 L looks like one of the best telephotos of its era - superior to the 400mm f4.5 I have. Not an easy lens to find - would never get one for the hundred odd £ I paid for the 400!

I normally use lenses like this with a monopod. I make my own long plates to achieve good balance, in practice clone arca plates are very cheap. Used like this is effectively a gimbal set up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edIKz_9Otbc

C'mon lets have some nice lens pics..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My technique is to use the elongated foot rest/plate as a palm rest (left hand) , then the left hand fingers manipulate the focus. This is the only way I can attempt to hand hold a tamron SP 31A 200-500mm and manipulate the long focus throw. But its way easier and steadier with a monopod taking the weight.
If the subjects are flitting around, then anything other than hand holding is clumsier and slower to aim onto the shot. If however you can set up in expectation/anticipation, then a monopod is better.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:

Using a monopod to photograph moving creatures is awkward.

It even can be dangerous.

When I took my nFD 2.8/400mm L for the first time to the mountains (just rocks and really steep terrain at > 3000m / 10000ft) i had a carbon monopod with me. Handling the combination in steep terrain was outright dangereous, and I immediately stopped using the monopod. Using a stable tripod in its lowest position (legs as short as possible) while sitting on a small rock was much better.

S

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon Lens FD 500mm 1:4.5 L Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:
Canon Lens FD 500mm 1:4.5 L

Here are some photos from this super telephoto lens with and without an extender. I am happy using this lens handheld. The focus ring has some play, but it does not seem to affect the performance or use.

Very nice!

I have a question as I also have an FD 500mm f4.5L lens. On this lens the rear of the barrel can be rotated from landscape to portrait by pushing in a small button. On my lens however the rear rotating portion of the barrel wiggles a bit, even when it is "locked" into one position. I'd say perhaps 0.5mm of "wiggle". No much but enough to notice.

Is this normal? Does your lens do this as well? Not having access to any other FD 500/4.5L lenses (or really any other FD tele lenses!) I have nothing to compare against. Digging in Google turned up nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon Lens FD 500mm 1:4.5 L Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon Lens FD 500mm 1:4.5 L Reply with quote

Blazer0ne wrote:
brightmix wrote:

I have a question as I also have an FD 500mm f4.5L lens. On this lens the rear of the barrel can be rotated from landscape to portrait by pushing in a small button. On my lens however the rear rotating portion of the barrel wiggles a bit, even when it is "locked" into one position. I'd say perhaps 0.5mm of "wiggle". No much but enough to notice.

Is this normal? Does your lens do this as well?
Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, it does. I was also curious about this. So does the FD 300mm f2.8. Please, report back if you find more info about the barrel play.

Thanks

Same problem here with my nFD 2.8/400mm L. Strange indeed that Canon couldn't do it right on such an expensive lens, while e. g. my Minolta 2.8/300mm (or indeed any other tele lens with tripod socket I know) doesn't have such problems.

And there's of course the well known problem with the bearings of the focusing unit which the nFD 2.8/400 L shares with many other Canon FD / nFD lenses. I think I should dismantle my nDF 2.8/400m L and look at both problems.

S

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good, very sharp lens