Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

300mm f/5.6 Yashinon-DX Chrome
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: 300mm f/5.6 Yashinon-DX Chrome Reply with quote

Until this lens came up on eBay I wasn't aware that Yashica ever produced a chrome version of their Yashinon 300mm DX lens. The ones I've seen in the past are all black, as is the illustration in my Yashica catalog. A guess is that this dates from around 1967-1968. Anyway, it is now part of my little Yashinon chrome lens collection. Of course, I was curious to see what sort of images it is capable of. This one has a fair amount of internal dust, but otherwise seems in representative condition. Externally it is excellent and the diaphragm is good, too. I'm sure someone could clean it up and improve on my results, at least a little. Overall, I think the images are about average for long telephotos of this period.

The photos have no pp and were shot on a sturdy tripod using the self timer. Camera is a Canon M6 so the lens' edge performance is not tested.

f/5.6

f/8.0

f/11.0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly a rarity.
For the Yashinon DX collectors I imagine it would be a prized catch.
I have some of the shorter lenses in Yashinon DX, and they are quite attractive in their design.
Congratulations on your find.
Tom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, its not easy to find.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought one of these in a moment of irrational weakness. I'm hoping the images from it will be better than posted here. In any case, I probably won't keep it. Anyone here want one?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it the same lens then Yashica ML 300 in c/y mount?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
Is it the same lens then Yashica ML 300 in c/y mount?

It's the chrome Yashinon DX as the post topic. Earlier serial number. M42.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens arrived and is in excellent condition. Satisfied my curiosity. It's okay, not great. Has some nice bokeh. I do like my 300mm, 350mm, and 400mm mirrors better. If anyone is interested in a good collector copy, I will sell for $32, and shipping.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if this lens I've just bought a few minutes ago, unseen and I don't even know what mount the damn thing is, it's branded as Dollonds 135 2.8, could be from the same manufacturer? The straight knurling isn't common, it was liked by Mamiya Sekor and Yashica, and I think Tamron - maybe Tokina - were the main makers of straight, fine knurl, lenses. The window is an early Tamron trait as well. Who knows? But so far every straight fine knurls lens I've had has been a keeper.

Damn....shipping to the UK would be a killer...