Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Novoflex 40cm lens on to nikon d700
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Novoflex 40cm lens on to nikon d700 Reply with quote

Hello All
I am new to this forum and have scoured the D.I.Y and lens pages but to date have only found the D.I.Y Novoflex adaptor.

I have a first version of the Novoflex 400 mm pistol grip lens that I have used on a canon ae1 in the past.

Currently I have a cheap eos camera that I have used the lens with but without infinity possibly due to the adaptors used.
I am trying to covert the lens to use on my d700 and wondered if anyone has any advice or suggestions as to the best method of doing so.
The PITUB-J connects to the end of the lens and then there is a ring adaptor in the camera end that is a CANLEI-P, into this goes the original FD adaptor, this has a male thread that looks like m42 but it is a very fine thread and a lot finer than the thread on an M24 adaptor. I want to convert the lens so that I can fit it to the Nikon and if possible get infinity to focus too. I am waiting on an FD to Nikon F adaptor to arrive but in the meantime I thought I would ask if anyone has any advice regarding this issue.

Regards

Tony

Just an additional thought, does anyone have a Novoflex to Nikon f adaptor for sale or that could provide the dimensions for an adaptor if one was made back in the day?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Novoflex 40cm lens on to nikon d700 Reply with quote

photony42 wrote:
Hello All
I am new to this forum and have scoured the D.I.Y and lens pages but to date have only found the D.I.Y Novoflex adaptor.

I have a first version of the Novoflex 400 mm pistol grip lens that I have used on a canon ae1 in the past.

Currently I have a cheap eos camera that I have used the lens with but without infinity possibly due to the adaptors used.
I am trying to covert the lens to use on my d700 and wondered if anyone has any advice or suggestions as to the best method of doing so.
The PITUB-J connects to the end of the lens and then there is a ring adaptor in the camera end that is a CANLEI-P, into this goes the original FD adaptor, this has a male thread that looks like m42 but it is a very fine thread and a lot finer than the thread on an M24 adaptor. I want to convert the lens so that I can fit it to the Nikon and if possible get infinity to focus too. I am waiting on an FD to Nikon F adaptor to arrive but in the meantime I thought I would ask if anyone has any advice regarding this issue.

Regards

Tony

Just an additional thought, does anyone have a Novoflex to Nikon f adaptor for sale or that could provide the dimensions for an adaptor if one was made back in the day?

your photo wont show on your first post

The Novoflex system was a peculiar setup and the adaptors all had names which described what they did. I have a LEIHEK adaptor which lets me use the front end of a LEItz HEKtor lens on their bellows. Perhaps you can figure out what yours mean.

An FD to Nikon adaptor is unusual, they are usually the other way round. To get infinity you would need an adaptor with an optical element and trust me they are bad. You say you have no infinity focus, is the lens too close to the body or too far?

Pics of the lens and all the adaptors would be useful.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Novoflex 40mm Reply with quote

Hello philslizzy

I will see if I can get another picture uploaded. The infinity focus issue seems to be that I cannot get the trigger back far enough to focus on a distant object. I can get really sharp images but not of long distance items. I am assuming that from this it means that the adaptor/s I have are taking the lens too far away from the sensor.
I am happy with the lens at shorter distances as such but it is not very good on my eos as it is only 8mp and with the limited light from the lens on an apsc camera I need to have the exposure pretty long to get a half decent image.
I have a d700 that I want to ft the lens to and this is why I am trying to get from the Novoflex to a Nikon mount.

The biggest issue seems to be the thread into the Novoflex end of the setup. It is very fine and I think it is m39. I am waiting on a number of adaptor plates and the FD to Nikon one. The description does say to fit FD lenses to AI F mounts but I will wait and see.
I sort of realised the methodology of the Novoflex adaptors and realise it is the camera fitting first then the lens fitting they abbreviate.

The biggest issue seems to be getting hold of adaptors that fit the first series of pistol focus lenses. I will keep scouring the net for them in the hope of some level of success.

Hopefully the pictures will upload this time.

Regards

Tony

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're using the wrong adaptors. The CANLEI-P appears to be able to use LTM lenses on a Canon FD camera. Something that will get you only macro.

edit: It seems that Novoflex made a bellows unit that had a LTM thread on it. To use your Canonflex (FD) lens on it you had to buy the adaptor

Pacific Rim camera have an extensive online library of old leaflets and manuals. Perhaps there is something in this catalogue that could help you

https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/00070/00070.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Novoflex 40 cm lens Reply with quote

hello philslizzy

The adaptor that I am using came with the lens originally and worked fine on my canon ae1.

I have now got an adaptor with m42 thread and Nikon fitting and have added a set of extension tubes as well as a m39 adaptor for the Novoflex lens. After some experimenting I am looking for a further extension tube of 5.5 mm to get the lens to focus at infinity on the Nikon.

I have been able to set the remaining distance to get infinity focus with the grip back on its stop and once I have an additional 5.5 mm this will give me the correct distance for the Nikon focus plane.

Many thanks for the link to the resource. Its such a shame you cant just get the bits from a supplier these days. I suppose this is the fun of using old stuff on new cameras. I will get back to the forum once I have completed the additions and clarify how it works, just in case someone else may want to try to convert one to a Nikon camera.

Thanks for the reply

Regards

Tony :1ls) :1ls) :1ls)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could go down the DIY route.

Or, if you already have an m39 extension tube, take it out, measure it and add 5.5mm to it then look for a longer one which may be easier to find. That may work.

My way down the DIY route would be like this:

1 Get a T2 Nikon mount and a m39-m42 ring.
2 Measure the thickness of the T2 mount
3 If it's more than 5.5mm then grind it down or saw through it until it is (remove the ring first)
4 Put it on the camera and mark the top
5 Put the m42 ring on the lens and line it up with the adaptor. Mark the top of the ring. Remove it
6 Using epoxy putty line the inside of the T2 mount evenly all the way round
7 Put the ring inside and embed it in the putty. Make sure the top lines up with the top of the T2 mount.
8 Make sure the M39 thread is clear of putty and centred.
9 Turn the whole lot over and place it mount down on a smooth surface (cling film or baking paper) and press the back of the ring down so that it lies flat until the putty has cured.
10 Tidy it up later with files and paint the inside flat black.

that should take a couple of hours max.

I did a similar thing with a 300mm Hanimex lens that I adapted to fit my Visoflex

The putty sets rock solid and will be stronger than a 3d printed design.

Last edited by philslizzy on Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Novoflex 400mm lens Reply with quote

Hello philslizzy

Thanks for the reply.

I am doing the thing you suggested I have a mix of tubes and having swapped them around I am after a 13 mm tube.

I like the detailed description of the DIY you have done. I will keep it to hand as and when I adapt another lens.

Hopefully I will be in a position to get some pics on the site soon and I will add any further comments if I find any issues with my alteration.

Regards

Tony

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack of infinity focus means you need to lose some mm.
Can you remove that Canlei adapter - what's underneath?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirs,

in order to maintain this trove of info I would like to add some (possibly obvious) points.

Novoflex made the bellows BAL-U in order to give pigriff close focussing capability. AND they still make the old adapters to fit newer cameras. I recently bought one for my NikonZ7. Most commendable manufacturing policy.

p.