Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Blind test : Tak 15/3.5 vs. Sam 14/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: Blind test : Tak 15/3.5 vs. Sam 14/2.8 Reply with quote

Colums : each tested lens
From top to bottom :
- Image center f/4
- Image center, f/8
- Image extreme corner, f/4
- Image extreme corner, f/8
Visu 100% of a raw from 6D, without postprocessing

Will you easy find where the Takumar 15/3.5 and the Samyang 14/2.8 are ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Blind test : Tak 15/3.5 vs. Sam 14/2.8 Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
Colums : each tested lens
From top to bottom :
- Image center f/4
- Image center, f/8
- Image extreme corner, f/4
- Image extreme corner, f/8
Visu 100% of a raw from 6D, without postprocessing

Will you easy find where the Takumar 15/3.5 and the Samyang 14/2.8 are ?

For the central crops yes: The left one should be the Zeiss, the right one the Samyang.
Corner crops look fairly similar, but I would also guess the Zeiss to be left, and Samyang right.

Problem with the SAmyang is that - after a decade of manufactring it - they still have the same sever centering problems they had a decade ago. A few moth ago I bought one - again it was severly de-centered. One corner very sharp, the other one really blurred (not pixelpeeping, but simply blurred). Same as a first sample I had tested around 2011 ... So I gave it back and bought the Sony 1.8/85mm instead. Which is not decentered, and a decent lens on the A7RII ...

S

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Tak on left, only because those are magnified a little more, indicating a longer focal length. Not so easy to say. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The right examples does also have a warmer tone like other Samyang lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And....
According to my notes and hour of pictures, you arre wring, Samyang is the left column.
But after your comments, I have checked on the full res samples, and the wider ones corresponds to the right column, so I am not sure

Anyways, as the lenses are very close, I need to do other tests. If I cannot see a strong difference in favor of the Takumar, I may also sell it in the big clearance I am planning.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or Samyang 14mm could be slightly longer than Asahi 15mm...

6D eh? New camera? Maybe for another thread I'm interested why 6D not A7RII ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I went to the 6D. Just because it was a big bargain : paid 200 EUR for the 6D and 150 EUR for the Samyang. The Samyang has a slight trace on the coating (curious, like something greasy that I could not remove, but of course not seen on pictures), and the 6D had a broken fosing screen... in fact in fack the guy just pushed the button to release the focusing screen, so it took me less than 20 sec to get the 6D fully working. I added 30 EUR for chinse two-batteries+charging dock and another 30 EUR for chinese grip.

And the 6D allows me to use the Samyangs, I now have the 14/2.8, 2the 4/1.4 (paid 270 EUR) and still the 35/1.4. All of these recent aquisitions are due to the fact I fell with the 5D and Samyang 35/1.4 this summer at Gran San Bernado pass (between Italy and Swissland). The Samyang was stuck, no aperture move, and I had to replace it. I found the 6D, the two other Samyangs, and last week I tried and successfully repaired the 35/1.4.