Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kowa f1.9 50mm from SE camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Kowa f1.9 50mm from SE camera Reply with quote

I removed the lens from the KOWA SE SLR and it's quite unusual. With all the other non-interchangeable lens leaf shutter SLRs I have encountered, the aperture is in the optical centre of the lens (as is the shutter) i.e. the rear elements are behind the shutter/aperture. This one is different, the entire lens is placed in front of the shutter and aperture. I find this rather strange as it's a very inferior way of doing things - placing the aperture behind the lens will cause light fall off and maybe even vignetting at smaller aperture settings. Interchangeable lens leaf shutter SLRs like the Voigtlanders and Kodak Retinas, the Zeiss Ikon Contarex and probably others, also place the entire lens in front of the shutter, but have a separate aperture in the lens placed in the correct position at the optical centre of said lens.

I haven't tried this Kowa lens on a digital camera yet, I will jury rig a mount but obviously, will only be able to shoot it wide open at f1.9.

I wonder why Kowa did this - cost saving? It's a bad design imho.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always be curious about the rendering of the Kowa 50 /1,9. Should be similar to Miranda/Kowa 50/1,9 lens?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Miranda 1.9/50 but don't have it anymore. My copy wasn't all that good. I still have the 1.4 version, that has 8 elements and is pretty good.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I had the Miranda 1.9/50 but don't have it anymore. My copy wasn't all that good. I still have the 1.4 version, that has 8 elements and is pretty good.

I have this lens and I also have the Miranda 50mm F/1.9 and I can confirm they look totally different. The optical design or parts are also totally different. This is a great lens for bokeh shots.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian

When you get a chance, please let us know what you think of the lens performance. Maybe others have experience using these Kowa lense on digital cameras.

Adapters for digital cameras with an aperture control are available from RAREADAPTERSTX - their eBay user name, but they are $85 US. Does the quality of these lenses justify the expense?

Yes, cost engineering was likely a crucial design criteria. In the day they were often sold to first time SLR buyers - primarily because they were inexpensive.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the weather improves in the new year I'll give it a test. At the moment it's constant drizzle and dark grey skies, not much good for showing what a lens can do, sadly.