Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD 3.5/28
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject: Minolta MD 3.5/28 Reply with quote

Amplifying an exchange with Lumens Pixel who proposed a nice comparison of versions 2.8 and 3.5, here are just several shots taken with Minolta MD 3.5/28 on Sony NEX, at f4-5.6. Some of them with a linear polarising filter on, which gives a difference that does not seem crucial.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Nice walkabout

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Visualopsins! It's a lens that surely adds some extra tinge to leisure wandering.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly a nice lens.

Minolta's 28s have been disparaged a bit but I could not see why considering the results I obtain on A7 with 28 3,5, 28 2,8, and 28 2,5.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
Certainly a nice lens.

Minolta's 28s have been disparaged a bit but I could not see why considering the results I obtain on A7 with 28 3,5, 28 2,8, and 28 2,5.

Maybe because nearly all vintage 28mm lenses were bit "budget" lenses? Not only the Minolta ones, but also those from most other manufacturers including Zeiss CY? I have quite a few 28mm from the 1960-1985 time frame, including the f2.8 and f3.5 variants from Canon FD/nFD, Konica AR, Mamiya CS and E, Minolta AR/MC/MD, Nikon, Olympus, Asahi/Pentax, Topcon RE, Yashica, and Zeiss CY. Some of these lenses are slightly better than the majority, but none of them really shines.

Caveat: I've never tried/used the Pentax K series 3.5/28mm, the Leica R 2.8/28mm versions, or the Zeiss CY 2/28mm.

S

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small

Nice !

I can see bait fish rising in the mid-ground right of #4 Mr. Green

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Doc Sharptail. I guess, #4 reveals less a bait fish than kind of fish bones left after numerous feasts.

Stephan, that is an interesting observation I didn't think about before. So, in the film era, in the space in between the "pro" 24mm focal lenght and the "normal" 50mm there was a place for "cheap" 28mm.

When I first tried Hexanon 3.5/28 and Minolta W.Rokkor 3.5/28 several years ago, I was rather disappointed with the rendering. I think I expected some brilliance proper to their 50mm equivalents. Later I tasted them better. But I confess I still largely prefer 50mm lenses over the 28mm.