Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Have a look at a nice 28mm. Which one is this?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

This is a the best I can try to show the differences between three lenses, the MD zoom 24-35 3,5 @28, the 28 3,5 and the 28 2,8.

I am afraid the low resolution compressed jpegs will not be very conclusive. This is from unprocessed RAW with settings at neutral on the A7II. When these shots were taken I have not yet re-screwed the mount of the camera and you might notice a left edge a tad less sharp than the right one.

At this resolution, nothing extraordinary.

If you are interested reading my advice all these lenses are good. The zoom is surprisingly sharp and can compete with the two others. Colours are a bit duller than the others and it is a little bit more prone to flare. If I had to travel I would take it for the benefit of the other focal lengths, 24 and 35.

The 28 3,5 is excellent and just needs a tad of vividness and or local contrast to play in the same league as the 2,8. Really a few clicks suffice, so a very good lens. This is from neutral RAW. Maybe jpegs in camera would be good for your taste. The 2,8 has better tones outright but is a tad narrower and there is nothing you can do about that.

Not sure this is clear from the pics but I do not think I can evidence my opinion better than that.

Now 28 3,5:

[img][/url]DSC00189 28 3,5 by lumens pixel, sur Flickr[/img]

24-35 @28:

[img][/url]DSC00191 24 35 at 28 by lumens pixel, sur Flickr[/img]

And 28 2,8:

[img][/url]DSC00190 28 2,8 by lumens pixel, sur Flickr[/img]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Lumens Pixel, your illustration is crystal clear.

I'd say I needn't urge for a 2.8 version having already a 3.5 one. The difference seems subtle, even if you suggest that some nuances might be swallowed by resize and compression.

The zoom performance impresses indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on all points.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just won one of these on ebay, looking forward to trying it out!

What and where is the subject of your first photo? Looks like beautiful architecture.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the Arc de triomphe du Carrousel in the court of the Louvre castle in Paris.