Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sakar Zoom
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Sakar Zoom Reply with quote

Haven't been able to find much on this lens or company on line.
It has made in Korea marked on it.

Bought used at retail in a local camera store. Price didn't seem too stratospheric.
I've used it a bit on film, but no real work-out yet.
From what I've seen so far, it definitely wants a tripod at the 300 end.
Seems to be well coated. Coatings are purple/green, and seem to be well done.
Normally, I'd avoid something like this. Got curious on account of it's origin.
I've had some pretty decent rifle scopes that were made in Korea.

Anyone here know anything about this maker? Can't seem to find much on line in the way of reviews.
TIA

-D.S.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be a parent of Tokina Soligor etc.. 60-300.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sakar is a New York based Trading company. Since 2008 they own the Vivitar brand name. They put it on cheap Chinese stuff. This is probably from the eighties. Made in Korea so likely Samyang.
http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/brands/c_27.html a few lenses here from different makers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.
Mount is N. AI-s. My gut says late 80's mfg, possibly early 90's. I had gotten out of the game in the mid 80's and had never seen anything like this.
I still think a focal length range reach like that is trying a little too hard, but I don't know everything.
The lens it's self appears barely used. I can't find any marks or scratches on it anywhere.
Hoping in the near future to get it on a tripod and get a little serious with it...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My made in Korea, Sears 60-300mm is likely the same lens as your Sakar, Doc.
Sears offered their version in their big catalog from the mid 1980s to early 1990s.

I haven't used my Sears for several years, but I recall being pleased with the convenience of the wide focal range and 1.2m minimum focus distance. It's not the sharpest lens ever, but color saturation and contrast are good.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

55 wrote:
My made in Korea, Sears 60-300mm is likely the same lens as your Sakar, Doc.
Sears offered their version in their big catalog from the mid 1980s to early 1990s.

I haven't used my Sears for several years, but I recall being pleased with the convenience of the wide focal range and 1.2m minimum focus distance. It's not the sharpest lens ever, but color saturation and contrast are good.

I would agree- that's a dead ringer for mine.

Like 1 small

-D.S.