Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ross Resolux 11cm f4, a crisp one
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Ross Resolux 11cm f4, a crisp one Reply with quote

Ross Resolux 11cm f4 is an enlarger lens from a british family already presented in the forum. It has great sharpness and smooth bokeh (on Sony FF). Here are some samples took at WO and the next stop which is marked as 2.

Close distance

Mid-range

Bokeh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ross Resolux 11cm f4, a crisp one Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Ross Resolux 11cm f4 is an enlarger lens from a british family already presented in the forum. It has great sharpness and smooth bokeh (on Sony FF). Here are some samples took at WO and the next stop which is marked as 2.

Wow, very sharp for close distance. I wonder how you adapt it to your camera. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, vivaldibow!

This one is really a no-brainer. From camera to lens there is: a Sony NEX extension set with ring no. 2 + a standard m42 to Nex adapter + a chinese 17-31mm focusing helicoid + M39 to M42 adapter ring.

Here it is on Sony A7:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also more than just good in distant field.

#2 The one taken with APS-C

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
Thank you, vivaldibow!

This one is really a no-brainer. From camera to lens there is: a Sony NEX extension set with ring no. 2 + a standard m42 to Nex adapter + a chinese 17-31mm focusing helicoid + M39 to M42 adapter ring.

Here it is on Sony A7:

Got it. Thanks. I asked the question too hastily. Didn't realize it is an enlarger. Somehow I was thinking it is cine lens.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, they render really nicely, don't they. I have the 11cm, 9cm and two 5cm. They are nice on Fuji's apsc sensor too.

They have been really popular in Japan over the last few years from what I've read, but I have the feeling that may have worn off... at last. Just a feeling.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, the lens is a pleasure.

By the way, I hasn't got that weird watercolour bokeh I saw in some shots taken with the 9cm Resolux variation. What I could reach, as you see in my shots, is smooth. How should that be explained? The serial number of my lens has 5 digits. Following the table of Ross lenses serials, it must be produced between the 1860 and 1870. That's a nonsense, the lens is just an ordianary looking one from the 1950s. Is my lens a nice Ross mutant?

And seriously, do you have a couple of links to experiments of Japanese photographers with this glass? I am curious what one may do with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:

By the way, I hasn't got that weird watercolour bokeh I saw in some shots taken with the 9cm Resolux variation. What I could reach, as you see in my shots, is smooth. How should that be explained? The serial number of my lens has 5 digits. Following the table of Ross lenses serials, it must be produced between the 1860 and 1870. That's a nonsense, the lens is just an ordianary looking one from the 1950s. Is my lens a nice Ross mutant?

And seriously, do you have a couple of links to experiments of Japanese photographers with this glass? I am curious what one may do with it.

I'm not sure why the bokeh would be different Alex. The Resolux's are all 1950s Tessar's with 50 degree coverage, but obviously serving different negative sizes. Could that make a difference? With regard to the serial numbers, it seems widely accepted that they are a mess, but no one seems to know why with any confidence. I don't have any links for you unfortunately as I simply can't remember any. I looked into these lenses a few years ago, but it has only been in the last few months or so, when the prices weakened, that I have acquired them.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these, I think it's the 9cm version. A beautiful thing, so heavy, just solid brass with very thick chrome plating. A pale blue single coating. Wonderful lenses, especially for close up work, but also very capable at infinity too.

I collect Ross lenses, without exception they are very high quality.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your observations are interesting, Sciolist. I got attentive to Resolux just several months ago, so couldn't judge the shift in pricing. For the moment, there are pretty affordable copies of different focal lengths. But I think to limit myself to this one. Too many lenses!

Ian, have you got a stranger bokeh with yours? Otherwise it might be just an erroneous impression I got.

I just went to the open window and shot the moon with diaphragm position No.3. So a real infinity distance. Here are a couple of crops from different image corners. A 110mm lens on FF - not bad really!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ They just render so nicely Like 1 .

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex. Been years since I used my Resolux, but yes, I do remember it having unusual bokeh.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played more with the lens. I think, its bokeh is constantly smooth. Sciolist, that comes in terms with your reasoning better than with my early ideas. Ian, it seems that one need to make close ups with a specially chosen charged background to get something unusual.

What this lens hardly stands, as many old ones do, are difficult light situations, such as a direct sunbeam. This beahaviour makes even think about uncoated glass. But I read a Ross booklet saying all Resolux glasses are coated. Meanwhile many other light conditions leave a large field of joyful play, as the captured image keeps much info, thus giving much space for PP.

In the las shot I accidentially caught green beam of the sun evening glow, visible in the bottom left corner. It's rare even in seashore, so quite unusual for cityscapes. A longer standing effect of the lockdown air purification?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that still on Sony's FF sensor? God, I almost reached to pull that scarf from the post. BRAVO.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, Sciolist! Yes, it'is the same setup on Sony A7.

Here is another shot of an item that seems to be rather exserted:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read a discussion about ross enlarging lenses and their average quality, especially compared to rodagons.
But for me, I don't like rodagons very much (except for a couple of them like 105mm and 135mm): they are fine, only too cold-exact without "soul".
Instead this Ross is sharp, has a pleasent beautiful bokeh, good colours (showing nuances which are distinctive of many lenses from the Fifties), whatelse... Distortion?
Anyway, a very interesting lens. I wonder how it would manage portrait shots.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:

Bokeh on old enlarging lenses with longer focals can be very smooth and attracting.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice results!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Caspert! I missed your note previously.