Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

which 28 mm to have?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Disjointed wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Well, I use my 28mm almost exclusively for landscapes and have found the SMC Pentax K 28mm f3.5 to be excellent.
The AI-S Nikkor also has a great reputation
Tom

I second this. I tested the SMC Pentax K 28mm f/3.5 against the Nikkor Ai-s 28mm f2.8, and the Pentax is a bit better, both at infinity and close objects. I will never part with the Pentax, it's truy excellent.

I support this, for landscapes but for sunsets the Nikkor 28 3.5, not the 2.8 and I do like floating element close focus lenses too...but outdoors I love one that won't ghost or flare and that's the 3.5....? the Konica 28 3.5 7-7 is often pushed for this genre, too but for distance details this and the Takumar are even until sunsets, Nikon's coatings win. The 28 is the cheapest wide-angle to make and make them they did that and more.

Then it becomes taste, what out of 800 choices in a 28 do you like is a better question - you can't go wrong

Rendering appeal, there is no such thing as best in 28's and that's an established fact well documented beyond comprehension for 28's

I have a Yashikor 28 2.8 in M42 that has it's own rendering in select situations that's very eye appealing, great isolation focus and Zeiss appeal .. sometimes in some situations

So here's what you do, carry about a dozen with you and in about a month open the bag up and put the dusty ones on the shelf?

If I like the way a lens feels and handles I tend to use it more regardless of what I have or know and because I'm comfortable I am confident and more apt to Zone. If the best lens doesn't feel right in your hand then what? It's not your best lens is it?

Sound advice.
Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 Like 1
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Did you try RMC Tokina? So cheap and can compete with the above.

Second that. It certainly compete well with my OM 28mm 2.8.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Disjointed wrote

Thanks for the nikkor 3,5/28 mm date. I can add it to my list

About "If I like the way a lens feels and handles I tend to use it more regardless of what I have or know and because I'm comfortable I am confident and more apt to Zone. If the best lens doesn't feel right in your hand then what? It's not your best lens is it?"

I undestand what do you mean, and I agree parcially.

If I only look for the lens "I like the way it feels and handles" I never use another lens than the Leica M 21, 50 and 75. But it isn't the game. Buy, try and sell. New day, new lens.

without prejudice to it, if I can find (and buy) a good M 21/3,4, 50 (old chrome 1,4 of the 60's or F/2 v.3) and a good and old summilux 75/1,4 I catch any of them.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the SMC Pentax 28mm f/3.5 is really the most lovely 28mm I have used yet:
- great build quality and handling
- very good sharpness and corner performance
- exceptional contrast and colors
- very good flare resistance
- only little CA's

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy of the Pentax 28/3.5 sadly has slow aperture (not a problem on mirrorless but I use Pentax) and some kind of haze that badly affects the bright corners in bright conditions. Therefore I love the SMC Pentax 30mm 2.8 much more. It is half a stop brighter more than sharp enough but not as sharp as the 28/3.5 and corners need to be stopped down more. But it has the most beautiful natural rendering and great colours. Also smaller and lighter.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
I think the SMC Pentax 28mm f/3.5 is really the most lovely 28mm I have used yet:
- only little CA's

Yep sums the K up nicely, I’d never sell mine. Going to pop it on my newly repaired KX film camera and see how it performs with the medium it was designed for.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dualmp wrote:
Pancolart wrote:
Did you try RMC Tokina? So cheap and can compete with the above.

Second that. It certainly compete well with my OM 28mm 2.8.

Thank you dualmp, very much

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
- only little CA's

Many thanks caspert79.

If I find one, will be mine.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noddywithoutbigears wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
- only little CA's

Yep sums the K up nicely, I’d never sell mine. Going to pop it on my newly repaired KX film camera and see how it performs with the medium it was designed for.

Thanks noddywithoutbigears, very much

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
- only little CA's

Many thanks caspert79.

Be aware that there are several different Pentax 3.5/28mm. I have the M42 and the M versions, both are nothing special compared to my Minolta MD 28mm lenses. The K version is the one to get:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-28mm-F3.5-Lens.html

S

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
papasito wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
- only little CA's

Many thanks caspert79.

Be aware that there are several different Pentax 3.5/28mm. I have the M42 and the M versions, both are nothing special compared to my Minolta MD 28mm lenses. The K version is the one to get:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-28mm-F3.5-Lens.html

S

The m42 one is a Takumar not Pentax branded unless it still has the metal lens cap so not so easy to mistake.