Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zhongyi Speedmaster 85mm f1.2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Zhongyi Speedmaster 85mm f1.2 Reply with quote

This arrived today Razz

A few photos of the lens, some compared to my old, scratched, Zeiss 85/1.4

The weather is crap today but I'll try to take some sample shots tomorrow.
The aperture is de-clicked and very smooth, the focus throw is 270 degrees and well damped.
I bought it via Amazon (because of excellent returns policy) which stated there was a hood included. The hood was missing but the seller has promised to post one asap.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a large and expensive lens at a time when prices of fast 85's seem to be coming down to Earth. What's the IQ like compared to CZ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the best lens made by Zhongyi Optics IMHO. It should be sharper than your Planar at WO.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gardener wrote:
That's a large and expensive lens at a time when prices of fast 85's seem to be coming down to Earth. What's the IQ like compared to CZ?

I'll test it tomorrow and share the results.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
This is one of the best lens made by Zhongyi Optics IMHO. It should be sharper than your Planar at WO.

I've only pointed it out the kitchen window at my car so far, it appears to be remarkably good at 1.2 Like 1 small

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoo Turtle Congrats

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 small Congratulations!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think we are all waiting for some shoot and comparaison with the contax 85mm Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebbm wrote:
i think we are all waiting for some shoot and comparaison with the contax 85mm Wink

YES!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll do a shoot-out between this Speedmaster and the Zeiss soon, for now I'll share some images from yesterday.

The only editing was white balance adjustments and sometimes a little shadow lifting (weather was overcast and very dull). Camera calibration was set to 'Camera Standard' in Lightroom.

Some comparisons between FF and crop mode on the a7, all at f1.2:

Random f1.2 shots:

From f1.2 to f5.6:

f2:

f1.2 slightly edited:

I am very impressed with this lens.
CA is rare and hard to find.
IQ will only improve once I receive the hood.
More examples will follow in due course.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dog Friends

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic Photo`s ...!! Whoo Turtle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i'm gonna start selling some of my unused lenses.... Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice transition to the OOF, the PSF seems edge heavy, but doesn't seem to create harsh bokeh, Nice to see a new manual lens alternative choice.
Great shots, they should pay you something from all the extra sales...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
Nice transition to the OOF, the PSF seems edge heavy, but doesn't seem to create harsh bokeh, Nice to see a new manual lens alternative choice.
Great shots, they should pay you something from all the extra sales...

I like the idea of being paid Like 1 small Laugh 1

I've been too busy to take it lately but I'll take it for a walk today, maybe get some comparison shots with the Zeiss too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Gary,especially the Peregrine falcon.. Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryss wrote:
Very nice Gary,especially the Peregrine falcon.. Like 1 Like 1

Thanks Kryss.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wide open, Sony a7, European Eagle Owl.
Before and after a quick edit, click to see a bigger image. The details in the feathers are there in the image, they just need to be brought to the fore.
At first glance, it would be fair to say this lens looks a bit soft at f1.2, but remember that it's a raw file. Editing can make the details pop.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots! Lens seems to be quite sharp wide open.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit! I thought I had the Canon nFD 85/1.2L locked in as my indulgence of the year (selling some lenses to justify it...), now I have to rethink that...
The size & weight are giving me pause though, the Canon 85/1.2L almost seems small now with it's 81x71mm and 680g...

I have my Minolta MD85/2 as a small and sharp option, the FD85/1.2 seemed like the obvious choice of bokeh monster. I'm trying to get my collection down to one lens for each purpose (this forum probably isn't helping...).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hood arrived last week, it's plastic and a different shade to the metal lens body but works very well.

Moto X Play smartphone photos:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris_Akunin wrote:
Dammit! I thought I had the Canon nFD 85/1.2L locked in as my indulgence of the year (selling some lenses to justify it...), now I have to rethink that...
The size & weight are giving me pause though, the Canon 85/1.2L almost seems small now with it's 81x71mm and 680g...

I have my Minolta MD85/2 as a small and sharp option, the FD85/1.2 seemed like the obvious choice of bokeh monster. I'm trying to get my collection down to one lens for each purpose (this forum probably isn't helping...).

Decisions, decisions..... Smile I was looking into the older 85/1.2 lenses but decided this was a better option. Yeah, this is heavier at 921g (for my Sony E-Mount version) but it has modern coatings, which I thought might be better than the much older coatings on the Canon FD lenses (maybe I'm wrong). I also thought that a new lens would be less likely to develop a fault.

I call this lens 'The Owl' because the focus throw is 270 degrees, the same amount that an owl can turn its head (I'm a falconry nut, in case you hadn't noticed).

The focus is buttery smooth and well damped. When it first arrived I could feel something in the helicoid, like a fine grit or something (similar to my Samyang 85/1.4). After a week or two of use it has completely disappeared.

I can highly recommend this Speedmaster, it's built like a tank, eleven aperture blades make for excellent bokeh at all apertures and it does appear to be sharp from f1.2 and though I haven't pushed it to the limit CA is very rare.

At f2 this lens is as sharp as any I own, I don't often use f1.2 in real situations but it's very nice to have the option available to me.
I enjoy using the Brenizer method (http://ryanbrenizer.com/category/brenizer-method/?doing_wp_cron=1472382040.4413099288940429687500) and this lens is ideal for that.

I am now seriously considering the 50/0.95 Speedmaster, the example shots I have seen are superb.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else to consider, it comes with a 5 year warranty. Like 1 small