Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

best 50 mm lens MF or AF
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: best 50 mm lens MF or AF Reply with quote

I want to buy a Summilux M 50/1,4 Asph.

It's not cheap, obviously.

So, I want to know if there are some lenses with similar or better IQ.

Your opinions are welcome.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: best 50 mm lens MF or AF Reply with quote

papasito wrote:

So you’re gonna eat rice with ketchup the rest of the month? 😁😁😁

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon Z 50mm f/1.2 S Razz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: best 50 mm lens MF or AF Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
papasito wrote:

So you’re gonna eat rice with ketchup the rest of the month? 😁😁😁

😂😂😂😂.

Nooooo.

Only Ketchup!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:

Not available in my country. Nor for my nex.
Thank you

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

Thank you

You could buy a Nikon Z camera with the 50mm f/1.2 S for about the same price as the Leica lens alone.
Better sensor package and equivalent - if not better - lens
T

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
papasito wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

Thank you

You could buy a Nikon Z camera with the 50mm f/1.2 S for about the same price as the Leica lens alone.
Better sensor package and equivalent - if not better - lens
T

Thank you Oldhand.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed my opportunity, SOLD.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on saving a lot of money!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Summilux M 50/1,4 Asph is the best 50mm MF lenses. The APO summicron 50/2 is certainly better in terms of contrast/CA correct/sharpness. Pick any one suits you instead of the best.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tb_a did an interesting comparison of premium 50mm lenses for landscape on Sony. see here

http://forum.mflenses.com/in-search-of-the-best-50mm-lens-for-landscapes-sony-a7r-ii-t81513.html

As an aside, I don't find seaching this forum easy. I couldn't find the thread using the forum search engine: using search tems like landscape AND 50mm returned 404's. Google can do better, but the thread linked to was only on p4 (googling 'best 50mm lens for landscape').

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if "The Best", but in some way might be the new Voigtlander 50mm F2 APO-Lanthar.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Congrats on saving a lot of money!

Thanks. Perhaps you're right

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I don't think Summilux M 50/1,4 Asph is the best 50mm MF lenses. The APO summicron 50/2 is certainly better in terms of contrast/CA correct/sharpness. Pick any one suits you instead of the best.

Don't forget it's a game. Today, one o more lenses. Tomorrow anothers. And the game is: looking for the best .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
tb_a did an interesting comparison of premium 50mm lenses for landscape on Sony. see here

http://forum.mflenses.com/in-search-of-the-best-50mm-lens-for-landscapes-sony-a7r-ii-t81513.html

As an aside, I don't find seaching this forum easy. I couldn't find the thread using the forum search engine: using search tems like landscape AND 50mm returned 404's. Google can do better, but the thread linked to was only on p4 (googling 'best 50mm lens for landscape').

Thanks, I remember that thread.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y wrote:
Don't know if "The Best", but in some way might be the new Voigtlander 50mm F2 APO-Lanthar.

Thanks. I shall look for it

And what about Voigtlander Macro Apo-lanthar 65mm F/2 Aspherical Sony E?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voigtlander 50mm F2 APO-Lanthar.

My vote.

You have to regard whether you really need such a lens.
In my case a 15€ Minolta MD 2 50mm gives realy exellent results too.
And if a larger aperture is preferable you can easily go with a 1.4 or 1.2 lens.

BG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lightdreamer wrote:
Voigtlander 50mm F2 APO-Lanthar.

My vote.

You have to regard whether you really need such a lens.
In my case a 15€ Minolta MD 2 50mm gives realy exellent results too.
And if a larger aperture is preferable you can easily go with a 1.4 or 1.2 lens.

BG

Thank you, very much.
MD 2/50, a great little lens.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Nikon 50MM f1.4 Ais. Nice lens a bit soft in the corners @1.4 but overall a good lens for most work. At $100 USD it was a bargain. It pretty much lives on my FM2n. Not saying it's the best at all just a good versatile lens for general shooting.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say Zeiss Otus or for somewhat less the Sigma Art

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokina Opera 50mm f/1.4 FF for Canon EF. Can be adapted to E-mount. Don't know if the Auto-focus adapter for EF-to E works on every Sony though. It is the same lens as the HD Pentax D FA* 50mm f1.4 SDM AW and better than Sigma, Easily As good as a Milvus. Extensive review of the Pentax version here. Including comparison with the Sigma and the Milvus.
http://evtifeev.com/60184-obzor-i-test-obektiva-hd-pentax-d-fa-50mm-f1-4-sdm-aw.html (use Google Translate)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Tokina Opera 50mm f/1.4 FF for Canon EF. Can be adapted to E-mount. Don't know if the Auto-focus adapter for EF-to E works on every Sony though. It is the same lens as the HD Pentax D FA* 50mm f1.4 SDM AW and better than Sigma, Easily As good as a Milvus. Extensive review of the Pentax version here. Including comparison with the Sigma and the Milvus.
http://evtifeev.com/60184-obzor-i-test-obektiva-hd-pentax-d-fa-50mm-f1-4-sdm-aw.html (use Google Translate)

15 elements in 9 groups. Wow!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HansMoleman wrote:
I have a Nikon 50MM f1.4 Ais. Nice lens a bit soft in the corners @1.4 but overall a good lens for most work. At $100 USD it was a bargain. It pretty much lives on my FM2n. Not saying it's the best at all just a good versatile lens for general shooting.

Very nice 50 mm.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
I'd say Zeiss Otus or for somewhat less the Sigma Art

Another good lens. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, after read your opinions, I ask If the AF standarts are much better than the MF?

Is the Planar T* FE 50mm F1.4 ZA really good?