Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dallmeyer History
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Dallmeyer History Reply with quote

Hey all,

I was just wondering if anyone has any good sources for the history of Dallmeyer. For such a beloved cult lens manufacturer, with prices to match, there seems to be surprisingly little about them available by searching on google. So far, I have found articles about J. H. Dallmeyer himself, and The Dallmeyer Archive seems to have details about early production, serial numbers etc.. Most of this info seems to be focused on the 1800s.

However, many of the most sought after lenses (Speeds, Septacs, Super Sixes and the like) came from much later, and I can't find much detail anywhere on the operations of the company during the early to mid 1900s. These are often described as very rare lenses, but how much do we know about production numbers/dates? Is there a way to date these lenses according to their serial numbers? If anyone knows of any good resources that I may have missed, it would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is the famous Lens Vademecum which has info about Dallmeyer (and many other lenses it it)
for very cheap: http://antiquecameras.net/lensvademecum.html

Welcome Turtle here!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
There is the famous Lens Vademecum which has info about Dallmeyer (and many other lenses it it)
for very cheap: http://antiquecameras.net/lensvademecum.html

Welcome Turtle here!

Thanks for this! I've just downloaded it, this is a lot of information, and the photos and diagrams are very helpful. There's even some of the history I was looking for, far more than I've seen so far. It's a very impressive bit of work, and excellent value. It's a shame it never had a formal physical publication!

Thanks!