Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon nFD 4/300 & 1.4x vs FD 4.5/400
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Canon nFD 4/300 & 1.4x vs FD 4.5/400 Reply with quote

As requested by Sergun in another thread, i've compared the nFD 4/300mm (non-L) with Canon FD 1.4x to the FD 4.5/400. This is a "quick-and-dirty" comparison; weather isn't ideal (moving air is causing reduced resolution). However, it may give you a first impression.

These are 100% crops from the extreme corner of a A7II JPG (24MP) directly out of the camera. All images taken wide open.

First the nFD 4/300mm without converter, at f4:

Then the nFD 4/300mm with Canon FD 1.4x converter:

And finally the FD 4.5/400mm:

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Blazer0ne on Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comparing apples with oranges here. Try with same frame by moving positions to get same magnification, for equal dof.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Comparing apples with oranges here. Try with same frame by moving positions to get same magnification, for equal dof.

My perception is: one uses these FLs exactly when he can't do that.

In any case FD 4.5/400mm is clearly ahead, even when it is one stop brighter.
If we are to stop it down to a level of nFD 4/300mm+1.4x TC (and thus increase DOF at almost equal to teleconverted 300), this will probably turn into a no contest win for 400mm.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

My perception is: one uses these FLs exactly when he can't do that.

In any case FD 4.5/400mm is clearly ahead, even when it is one stop brighter.
If we are to stop it down to a level of nFD 4/300mm+1.4x TC (and thus increase DOF at almost equal to teleconverted 300), this will probably turn into a no contest win for 400mm.

Yes! Thank you. I misunderstood what is being shown here. The first image 300 no tc is not compared, only last two images are compared -- same magnification, different apertures do give different dof, however the faster 400 without tc already shows better performance, as you rightly say, stopping down 400 will only increase performance difference.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Depth-of-field is absolutely meaningless in these crops: It doesn't matter at all whether the subject is 1580m or 1610m away.

Stephan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. A separate topic on nfd 300/4 non L My copy is stuck in Japan because of сovid-19 (I can still refuse it) There are few photos from it in the network, if anyone has examples, please show them. Pro teleconverter asked as a bonus, longer than 300mm rare use.

p/s Thank You Stephen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Depth-of-field is absolutely meaningless in these crops: It doesn't matter at all whether the subject is 1580m or 1610m away.

Stephan

Yes, thanks, I misunderstood what was compared. Framing difference 400mm and 420mm close enough. Dof difference is very small, essentially nonexistent here, however I would not go so far to say "absolutely meaningless", only insignicant. Comparing different frames dof becomes significant.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergun wrote:
Cool. A separate topic on nfd 300/4 non L My copy is stuck in Japan because of сovid-19 (I can still refuse it) There are few photos from it in the network, if anyone has examples, please show them. Pro teleconverter asked as a bonus, longer than 300mm rare use.

p/s Thank You Stephen

The nFD 4/300mm (non-L) is a pretty nice and lightweight 300mm lens. If you apply the CA-correction for landscape photos, or if you intend to make portraits or animal photography, the CAs are not worrisome. However, for focusing it doesn't use helicoids, but bearings similar to those found in zoom lenses, and usually they are not precise any more. So precise focusing can be a bit tricky - not as easy and fast as originally intended by the Canon engineers ...

S

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a Minolta MD tele rokkor 300/4.5 inside my country. Will it be an alternative to Canon 300/4 ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergun wrote:
I found a Minolta MD tele rokkor 300/4.5 inside my country. Will it be an alternative to Canon 300/4 ?

Yes, certainly. CAs should be about the same, the Rokkor is very sharp in monochromatic light (e. g. landscapes with mainly green grass or foliage). The MF internal focusing never has problems with worn out part (unlike the nFD). I can post some images tomorrow evening.

S

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
sergun wrote:

Yes, certainly. CAs should be about the same, the Rokkor is very sharp in monochromatic light (e. g. landscapes with mainly green grass or foliage). The MF internal focusing never has problems with worn out part (unlike the nFD). I can post some images tomorrow evening.

S

Yes, it would be interesting to see

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergun wrote:

Yes, it would be interesting to see

Sorry, bad / dull weather today - not good for 300mm testing! I'll compare the nFD 4/300mm (non-L), the Minolta MD-II 4.5/300mm, the Nikkor Ai 4.5/300mm ED and the Nikkor AiS 4.5/300mm IF-ED. Maybe we could add also the Pentax F 4.5/300mm IF-ED.

S