Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1:4/50 in pieces
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:16 am    Post subject: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1:4/50 in pieces Reply with quote

Hi all,
Just received this morning a Super-Multi-Coated Macro Takumar 1:4/50 which was sold as untested on ebay. In all the sellers pics it was shown as whole but when I got it out of its case I noticed there was a part at the bottom of the lens case. It slots right back in but doesn't stay there and can be easily shaken out again.

Just wondering if there is an easy fix for someone without any lens fixing experience or if I should return it as I only have 14 days in which to do so. I got a pretty good deal(£70) in bidding and it came with a Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1:3.5/135 which is pristine. I mean besides the part falling out the Macro-Tak is pretty much pristine too so I would rather fix it than return if its feasible to do so.

Here is what I'm talking about.

Last edited by sasquatch on Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a little soft glue, such as classic Bostik (in minimal amounts, on 4 / 5 points), does the job. Don't use Attak, and mind you, little glue

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
I think a little soft glue, such as classic Bostik (in minimal amounts, on 4 / 5 points), does the job. Don't use Attak, and mind you, little glue

Thanks!
I have a freshly opened tube of contact adhesive which I think is pretty much the same thing as Bostik. I did think the same but was hesitant to put glue in a lens especially as I have never done any kind of lens repair or even disassembly.
I don't suppose you know if this would have been a part that was originally glued or press fitted in factory?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sasquatch wrote:
Ultrapix wrote:

Thanks!
I have a freshly opened tube of contact adhesive which I think is pretty much the same thing as Bostik. I did think the same but was hesitant to put glue in a lens especially as I have never done any kind of lens repair or even disassembly.
I don't suppose you know if this would have been a part that was originally glued or press fitted in factory?

Like 1 Thank you! I have some TAKs with same loose part. I think I'll try 3 tiny toothpick-applied drops on underside of "dust cover"; press it in... Contact cement is probably close to the original easy to undo/remove glue.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
Ultrapix wrote:

Thanks!

Like 1 Thank you! I have some TAKs with same loose part. I think I'll try 3 tiny toothpick-applied drops on underside of "dust cover"; press it in... Contact cement is probably close to the original easy to undo/remove glue.

Well I just took the plunge and it seems to have worked! The toothpick was a perfect applicator for the adhesive and now no more loose/ falling out part. Decided to have a real close look before doing it and saw there was some faint remnants of either the factory glue or some previous owners attempt at a fix on the part(dust cover?) so I cleaned that off and applied the contact adhesive in the same spots. Time will tell if the fix will hold but for now I can't even see any signs it was ever broken.

Many thanks for the help Ultrapix and Visualopsins! Like 1 small

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sasquatch wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
sasquatch wrote:
Ultrapix wrote:

Thanks!

Well I just took the plunge and it seems to have worked! The toothpick was a perfect applicator for the adhesive and now no more loose/ falling out part. Decided to have a real close look before doing it and saw there was some faint remnants of either the factory glue or some previous owners attempt at a fix on the part(dust cover?) so I cleaned that off and applied the contact adhesive in the same spots. Time will tell if the fix will hold but for now I can't even see any signs it was ever broken.

Many thanks for the help Ultrapix and Visualopsins! Like 1 small

Oh Mah says to say Hi!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came to give the same advice as everyone else, but looks like you already got it sorted!

This part more commonly falls out on the later S-M-C/SMC with the ES aperture coupling, which can rub against the baffle, causing strain on it. Also more common on lenses with longer focus throw such as macros and teles, since the longer length of the baffel makes it more susceptible to torque which can loosen the glue.

Luckily, one of the most easy repairs there is!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
Came to give the same advice as everyone else, but looks like you already got it sorted!

This part more commonly falls out on the later S-M-C/SMC with the ES aperture coupling, which can rub against the baffle, causing strain on it. Also more common on lenses with longer focus throw such as macros and teles, since the longer length of the baffel makes it more susceptible to torque which can loosen the glue.

Luckily, one of the most easy repairs there is!

Thanks Brian! Seems like a really nice lens so I'm glad it was such an easy repair, doubt I would trust myself to anything more complicated as a first time repairer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple test focus stacks of some chrysanthemums I did with the lens over the weekend, minimum processing. Really love this lens!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Very nice! I had a copy of this but sold it to help finance an Olympus 50mm f2 macro.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Like 1 Very nice! I had a copy of this but sold it to help finance an Olympus 50mm f2 macro.

Thanks Jamaeolus!