Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon FDn 2,8 28mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Canon FDn 2,8 28mm Reply with quote

Few seem interested in this lens. Too cheap. Nothing sexy or to rave about in the appearance. Typical unremarkable FD manufacturing.

BUT... It outresolves an A7II sensor easily, and it is quite light as a walkabout lens.

[/img]

Excellent combination of sharpness and bokeh. The lens is very well corrected for short distances. The field is quite flat.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall, in long distance it's not that good, maybe I'm wrong...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:

Just very important for landscape use.

One of the tipical wide angle lenses jobs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:

Mine seems fine in this respect but I might need to test it more.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon FDn 2,8 28mm Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
Few seem interested in this lens. Too cheap. Nothing sexy or to rave about in the appearance. Typical unremarkable FD manufacturing.

BUT... It outresolves an A7II sensor easily, and it is quite light as a walkabout lens.

I fully agree and even with the 7R (36 megapixels), IQ is much better than expected, especially taking into account the "democratic" price of the lens. BTW, the breech-lock SC version is mechanically much nicer but slightly bigger and heavier with equivalent optical performances. Even though it only has a single coating (SC), the performance against the light is nearly as good as the multicoated nFD version.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:

Most probably your lens had a problem. Mine maintains IQ non regarding the distance....

Best regards

Volker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'll buy one and test it against the SMC Pentax K 28/3.5.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea. Do not hesitate to add to your test the Minolta md 28 3,5 that is equally cheap if you have one.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
Nice idea. Do not hesitate to add to your test the Minolta md 28 3,5 that is equally cheap if you have one.

I have only the 35/2.8.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one but haven't used it years. It's time to take it out again!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FDn 28 2,8 Strikes again.

Colors, contrast, sharpness...

[img][/url]L'aiguille lumineuse | The light needle by lumens pixel, sur Flickr[/img]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumens pixel wrote:
FDn 28 2,8 Strikes again.

Colors, contrast, sharpness...

[img][/url]L'aiguille lumineuse | The light needle by lumens pixel, sur Flickr[/img]

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up one a year ago. Absolute bargain at the $35 I paid for it. The great thing is there are no roller bearings to fail.
Also....
Canon hoods use wear strips which always seem to be missing. On the Canon nFD 28mm f2 it's a real problem, but on the nFD 28mm f2.8, because of the way the lens is made the hood still fits well even with no wear strips.

Very nice walk around lens on apsc. Add the nFD 50mm f1.8 and you have a super light weight walk around combo.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of these New FD 28's back in the 80s. It was a good performer, but I had become bored with the focal length. Sold it and bought a New FD 24 and never looked back.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I had one of these New FD 28's back in the 80s. It was a good performer, but I had become bored with the focal length. Sold it and bought a New FD 24 and never looked back.

Was luck enough to get the nFD 24mm f2.8 for $40 back in December. Looking forward to shooting some more with it. Still need a hood for it, tho.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the 24 2,8 and it was a good performer. Roller bearing though. ... I ended with a sigma super wide.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blotafon's post about Sigma MiniWide II praising Canon nFD 28 2,8 made me revisit this last lens.http://forum.mflenses.com/sigma-mini-wide-ii-28mm-2-8-test-t85011.html

I was very happy with this lens, and then much less without having a good explanation. Quite often I would get on the same shooting very sharp images and then something slightly blurred.

I considered the lens unreliable and thought about roller bearing issues but our member Alsatian wrote there was none in this simple lens.

I bought a breech lock Canon FD 28 2,8 and I am quite happy with it. It is sharp AND reliable so I was all set.

I did not sell the nFD which in any case goes for very low prices.

So I retested the lens yesterday and doing so noticed there is a slight longitudinal play between the front and rear part of the lens located at the junction of the camera side of the focus ring and the remaining body of the lens. With the lens dismounted from the camera body I can see that this very little play impacts all the optical block since the rear lens moves relatively to the mount.

No question that was the explanation for my dissatisfaction.

I compared this lens to other nFD: the 35 2,8 and the 50 1,8 for example and all of them present a little play but to a much more limited extent.

So when using the lens again I did not only rotate the focus ring but applied a very little push to the rear to settle it on the rest of the mount and that was it: superb results I would otherwise only obtain by chance. Note that the problem is aggravated by the use of a lens hood. If the lens is used naked there is no much weight to "separate" the front from the back part of the lens.

So this little write up to ask if other fellows experienced same issue and whether there was a way to fix or reduce this small wobble. If it is the nature of the lens, I will accept it since I do know what is the workaround, but I am curious...

I already opened this lens once and hate doing so with FDn lenses. I involuntarily de-clicked my lens that time which is no big deal. I might do it again if there are some screws that can be easily accessed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want one now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good investigative research!

I took a look at mine again and found no play. Maybe it has to do with usage.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two shots with the nFD from the same day as the test.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Two shots with the nFD from the same day as the test.

Nice!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought another copy that seems to be good. More to come in the near future.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have been optimistic. This second copy I bought is very slightly tilted, which I hate. Quite unhappy since there was no play.

So I bought a third copy which I hope is "final". Received it yesterday and so far no play and no tilt.

But I am cautious this time and want to use it more before any victory communiqué.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two shots on Canon T70 and Kodak Elite Chrome 100.

It works great on film.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a film user the Canon 28mm fdn f2.8 is up with the best, same for 35mm and 50mm.
This shot with the 28mm I had blown up to12X16inches and it still looks quite sharp. Criticising myself it looks like the hands are more in focus than the eyes