Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Focus Ring not working on HELIOS 44M-7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Focus Ring not working on HELIOS 44M-7 Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I'm new in photography and I've decided to buy a vintage lens as my first non-kit lense.

This helios came with the focus ring not smooth across its whole movement range and it doesn't affect focus at all, it is fixed at approximately 4-5 meters of distance, the lenses doesn't move in and out, it is like the ring doesn't have grip.

aperture Ring also wasn't working so I followed a video tutorial and managed to block the pin allowing the ring to control the aperture manually.

So the only problem remaining is this.

I'm using it on a Canon 750D with an M42 Adapter...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seem like someone was inside and had no idea what he was doing.
Since we don't know the extent of damage from the previous repair attempt and you don't have experience on repairing lenses, the best course of action is to return the lens for a refund.

The cause can be as simple as loose bolts which connect focus ring to helical, or as complex as missing parts/bolts and/or other kinds of internal damage.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the ebay seller doesn't accept returns.. he sold this lens with the Zenit 122 attacched as "Unknown conditions" so I take a bet and bought this for 20€... I'll ask him if he attempted any repair on this lens.

Depending on the asnwer I'll decide if it's worth or not to inspect the lens from the inside or just give it away to someone who's willing to repair it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are good with tools and feel confident about trying to fix this, it is a good lens to learn and practice on. As already mentioned, it could be very simple or a lost cause, and the only way to know is to take it apart. If you decide to do that, I do recommend you remove all glass first (ideally as a whole optical block, which is possible on other helios variants, but I don't have experience with this version) and only then try to fix the rest.

If you are not feeling confident, or don't have the right tools for the job, it's better to sell it off and buy another one.

Edit : I would first try to remove the front name ring and see if there are screws holding the focus ring under it. If that's the design on this lens (again, I don't know this to be true), you might get lucky and just need to tighten those screws. The only operations that are genuinely intimidating while learning are taking apart the helicoid and the aperture blades for cleaning. Fun, if you are mechanically inclined, but if not, an absolute nightmare.