Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon LTM 50mm f1.2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Canon LTM 50mm f1.2 Reply with quote

I have some fast fifties, including the Canon f0.95, The Nikkor 55mm f1.2 and the Cosina 55mm f1.2, as well as a slew of various f1.4s and f1.5s. But of all of them the Canon LTM 50mm f1.2 holds a special place for its clear and artistic bokeh. While the Canon f0.95 is more extreme, the f1.2 is somehow cleaner, without being boring at all. There are others like the Nokton Prominent 50mm f1.5 or the Aires Coral 4.5cm f1.5, that have striking "nisen" sharp bokeh, but the Canon 1.2 has a great balance of sharp circles with a certain liquid quality. Here are some examples:

Last edited by kymarto on Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can imagine this kind of bokeh is not useful in every situation, but you're definitely showing us some very artistic and beautiful results!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Canon LTM 50mm f1.2 Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
I have some fast fifties, including the Canon f0.95, The Nikkor 55mm f1.2 and the Cosina 55mm f1.2, as well as a slew of various f1.4s and f1.5s. But of all of them the Canon LTM 50mm f1.2 holds a special place for its clear and artistic bokeh. While the Canon f0.95 is more extreme, the f1.2 is somehow cleaner, without being boring at all. There are others like the Nokton Prominent 50mm f1.5 or the Aires Coral 4.5cm f1.5, that have striking "nisen" sharp bokeh, but the Canon 1.2 has a great balance of sharp circles with a certain liquid quality. Here are some examples:

Beautiful results.
3, 4 and 5 spectacular.
Thank you
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, very "painterly" bokeh.

I owned one of these lenses briefly many years ago -- back when they had little value. Wish I would have kept it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on my third Canon 50/1.2 in LTM- and third time is the charm. My current one is an early one, and has perfect glass. Often the surface behind the aperture suffers from damage due to the lubricants used at some point during the manufacturing run. My first two suffered coating damage. Also be warned that the front element protrudes to the point where the glass from most 55mm filters will hit the front element. Canon made a special filter for this lens with the glass all the way to the front of the threads. Canon also made a special vented hood for the lens to avoid vignetting. The hood fit over the filter, tightened on. The hood is hard to find, and often sells for over $100.

SO- I found the rubber clamp on hood for the Olympus 35~70 fits, and glued a 58mm vented hood to it,
$10 and a little time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiftyonepointsix wrote:
Also be warned that the front element protrudes to the point where the glass from most 55mm filters will hit the front element. Canon made a special filter for this lens with the glass all the way to the front of the threads.

That's an inconvenience for sure.

If I may forward a suggestion: I would've bought a cheap Chinese step-up ring (say, 55->62) and dremeled out the inner 55mm threaded collar.
Then cut two notches for the standard lens spanner wrench, painted black the shiny cut area, and screwed this into the lens thread to act as a spacer.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got lucky picking up original Canon filters for this lens on Ebay- where they were listed as Canon 55mm filters.

I will look at some of the step-up rings and see if I can convert a couple of my 55mm filters to sit close to the front. Some of the filters have retaining rings to hold the glass. I'm thinking that a spacer under the glass would give enough clearance for the front element and still allow use of the retaining ring.

Last edited by fiftyonepointsix on Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:02 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Canon LTM 50mm f1.2 Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:

Beautiful results.
3, 4 and 5 spectacular.
Thank you
Tom

+1. My thoughts too.