Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Novoflex Exakta adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Novoflex Exakta adapter Reply with quote

Since I started my exploration (as I like to call it) of film era lenses some time ago I have collected several exakta mount lenses of various brands. I use them on my camera with a K&F EXA to M4/3 adapter, which work OK after adjusting the adapter to bring it closer to spec.

I prefer to use Novoflex adapters whenever possible. Yes, they are somewhat expensive but I find them to be top notch quality. If there is a problem with a lens then I know for sure that it isn't an adapter problem. It gives me peace of mind I guess.

Novoflex does not sell Exakta adapters. Recently I sent them an e-mail asking about this and the short version of their answer was that it isn't cost effective for them to build Exakta adapters. And I respect that.

However.
Browsing eBay I have come across (old style) Novoflex adapters for Exakta to Leica M39 designed for a bellows unit Novoflex once had. I was wondering if that "LEIEX" adapter (EXakta lens to LEIca camera mount) would work in combination with a modern Leica M39 adapter (to M4/3 in my case, which I have). According to information I have found, Exakta has a 44.7mm flange distance. Leica M39 is a 28.8mm flange distance. So to fit the "LEIEX" adapter would have to be 15.9mm. Looking at the pictures on eBay that at least looks plausible.

Any thoughts?

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I perfer RAYQUAL adapter over Novoflex.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00C4B89QU?language=en_US&psc=1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
I prefer K&F no problems with 10 of them i have, including EXA to Sony E mount.

I have a K&F Exakta adapter to M4/3 and to Fuji X and both required the same adjustment:

- I had to sand down the exakta side a bit, because the lens wouldn't turn to lock. The flanges on the lens were hitting the flanges on the adapter (using both Carl Zeiss Jena and Meyer Optik Görlitz lenses). A few strokes with some sanding paper alleviated this problem creating a perfect fit.

- On K&F adapters the lens mount plate is screwed on to the body of the adapter. In order to ensure infinity focus the adapter is designed to be a little bit short. This was different for the M4/3 and the Fuji-X versions but both needed to be shimmed to bring them into spec. The M4/3 required 1mm, the Fuji 0.5mm. I found that the cardboard of the breakfast cereal boxes I use is exactly 0.5mm thick. So the M4/3 required two rings of cardboard, the Fuji one ring. With this adjustment infinity focus is perfect.

So yes, at the moment with these adjustments my K&F Exakta adapters work very well. But the perfectionist in me desires something that does not rely on cardboard and sanding paper.

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the "Selens" adapter; no problems with a variety of Topcon RE, Carl Zeiss Jena (pre-war and post-war), Meyer Görlitz, Schneider Kreuznach and even Mamiya Sekor F.C. lenses. I would assume that the Fotodiox Pro adapters would work well, too, since e. g. my Fotodioxa Mamiya Sekor E adaper is very well made.

S

PS I never bought any Novoflex adapters after seeing the immense light leak on Novoflex "Minolta MD to Sony E" adapters used by friends ... Stop down any lens beyond f5.6 and the light leak would spoil contrats & colors of the MC/MD lens ...!! Certainly fixed now, but that really turned me off.

Last edited by stevemark on Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just measured my LEIEX. 9.5 mm.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
I have the "Selens" adapter; no problems with a variety of Topcon RE, Carl Zeiss Jena (pre-war and post-war), Meyer Görlitz, Schneider Kreuznach and even Mamiya Sekor F.C. lenses. I would assume that the Fotodiox Pro adapters would work well as well sinec e. g. my Fotodioxa Mamiya Sekor E adaper is very well made.

S

PS I never bought any Novoflex adapters after seeing the immense light leak on Novoflex "Minolta MD to Sony E" adapters used by friends ... Stop down any lens beyond f5.6 and the light leak would spoil contrats & colors of the MC/MD lens ...!! Certainly fixed now, but that really turned me off.

I have a Fotodiox Pro adapter for Mamiya E lenses, and I love it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
i can't find a Leiex adapter just now in my storage, but I did find a Leico adapter, which is for M42. I expect this bellows adapter to be similar to the Leiex in size. This is certainly not the 15.7 mm you are hoping to get. It is much shorter. You will probably have to keep using the Chinese adapters, like I do.
Groetjes,
Evert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Novoflex Exakta adapter Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
So to fit the "LEIEX" adapter would have to be 15.9mm. Looking at the pictures on eBay that at least looks plausible.
Any thoughts?

I have both the EXLEI and LEIEX in use on some old bellows units (I have one unit w. 2 x M39, 1 w. Exa(camside) - M39 and 1 Exa / Exa - 2 Staeble 60mm/4, one EX, one M39)
The LEIEX adapter is very thin, max. 10mm thick (the EXLEI is 12mm, so no focusing on Exa cams beyond 10-12 cm).
I think they were only made for the Novoflex bellows units where it doesn't matter.
Oops, didn't see Caspert79's post at first.

Walter