Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Suggestions very fast portrait lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Suggestions very fast portrait lens? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a very fast portrait lens because I need a very shallow DOF. Focal length somewhere in between 80 and 135mm. Canon FD 85/1.2 or Nikkor Ai 135/2 are on my mind, but I'm open to other suggestions. It has to be a good performer, not too soft wide open. Any other ideas?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon 85MM f1.4 Ais?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Nikkor 105/1.8, Canon FD and Rokkor 100/2's, Planar 85/1.4 (and I believe 1.2 for those made out of money). There're modern MF lenses - Voightlander? Samyang? Mitakon? - ??? because I have no idea what they make and what the quality is like.

But frankly, with what some of these cost, modern glass like EF 85/1.2 or Nikkor 105/1.4 may start looking competitive if you have the native mount.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find the Mitakon 85/1.2 in various mount. I think it is not bad for its price if you can find a used copy for ~$400.
https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2015/06/18/the-mitakon-speedmaster-85-1-2-sony-fe-version-review/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 75mm f1.5

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
You can find the Mitakon 85/1.2 in various mount. I think it is not bad for its price if you can find a used copy for ~$400.
https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2015/06/18/the-mitakon-speedmaster-85-1-2-sony-fe-version-review/

Not a bad lens apparently, but it weights a ton.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would the Minolta 85mm f/1.4 handle manually with the proper adapter?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gffdgdfg

Last edited by tomasg on Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:31 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestions very fast portrait lens? Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
I'm looking for a very fast portrait lens because I need a very shallow DOF. Focal length somewhere in between 80 and 135mm. Canon FD 85/1.2 or Nikkor Ai 135/2 are on my mind, but I'm open to other suggestions. It has to be a good performer, not too soft wide open. Any other ideas?

I have quite a few fast vintage portrait lenses, and I've been shooting with a couple of lenses not belonging to me. Here a few remarks, always concerning portrait situations / distances, and wide open shooting:

* Canon nFD 1.2/85 L: quite low contrast at f1.2, LoCAs, beautiful creamy bokeh
* Minolta AF 1.4/85mm: slightly more contrast than the nFD 1.2/85, good bokeh, LoCAs visible @ f1.4, nearly disappered at f2 and high contrast from f2.8 on
* Sony/Zeiss ZA 1.4/85mm: slightly more contrast than the Minolta AF 1.4/85mm (at f 1.4). Otherwise very similar.
* Zeiss CY 1.4/85mm: vintage glass. relatively small.
* Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 1.5/7.5 cm: Low contrast at f1.5 and f2. Strong swirley bokeh (NOT nice!!). Strong asigmatism at f1.4 ... f2.8 (not nice). Very sharp and very little CAs at f11.

* Minolta MC/MD 1.7/85mm, Nikkor K 1.8/85mm, Canon FD and nFD 1.8/85mm: very similar performance and rendering; better contrast wide open than the nFD 1.2/85mm L wide open. Relatively small, and high contrast over the entire field from f4 on.

* Konica AR 1.8/85mm: less contrast and less CAs than the three 85mm lenses mentioned above. Medium contrast and very littel CAs at f4.

* Sony FE 1.8/85mm: Excellent lens with good contrast and high resolution wide open, very little LoCAs / lateral CAs, verly little distortion (all this with in-camera lens corrections OFF !!)

* Minolta MD 2/85mm: good contrast and very sharp even at f2, very little CAs for a vintage lens

* Nikkor AiS 1.8/105mm: high resolution and low contrast wide open. LoCAs. Excellent resolution and medium contrast at f2.8 ... f4. One of my preferred portrait lenses.
* Nikkor AiS 2/135mm: Heavy lump of glass! Slightly less detail compared tho the 1.8/105mmm Nikkor. Very nice portrait lens.
* Canon nFD 2/135mm: smaller, lighter and easier to work with than the Nikkor AiS 2/135mm. Performance and rendering (both infinity and portrait) indistinguishable from the Nikkor AiS 2/135mm. Low contrast, but high resolution wide open. Focusing is just right; not to loose, not too stiff. Very nice portrait lens.
* Minolta MD 2/135mm: Rare and (too) expensive. Low contrast and high resolution wide open. Focusing a bit too stiff; Canon nFD is easier to work with. Very nice portrait lens.

* Minolta AF 2/100mm: Very sharp and high contrast wide open, excellent at f2.8. CAs well controlled, but some lateral CAs visible (easy to correct by PP). My favourite on the A900.

* Sony Zeiss ZA 1.8/135mm: medium contrast and excellent detail resolution at f1.8, high contrast from f2.8 on. Clearly the best lens of all those mentioned here. Smooth bokeh (see pages 188/189 here in my book: http://artaphot.ch/images/PDFs/AlphaSystemBuch_I/Sony_Alpha_Vollformat-System_182-199_72dpi.pdf). Focusing goes down to 0.7 m. Manual focusing ring is large, but has too much play.

I've been testing at least have a dozen third-party 1.8/135mm and 2/135mm lenses. All had a very low contrast wide open, and many had a very smooth bokeh.

I have no personal experience with lenses such as the Zeiss 2/135mm APO, the Samyangs, the newer Canon EF lenses, and other modern designs. I expect them, generally, to be in line with the Sony/Zeiss ZA 1.8/135mm, though.

Stephan

PS for portraits, I for myself never use these vintage 85mm lenses at f1.2 or f1.4. Too shallow depth-of-field, too much purple fringing!

Overall, my preferred vintage portrait lenses are
* Minolta AF 2/100mm (for high contrast)
* Nikkor AiS 1.8/105mm and 2/135mm for "smoother" details
* Sony / Zeiss ZA 1.8/135mm has best overall performace, but I don't like it's less-than-precise manual focusing mode.

S

Last edited by stevemark on Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:47 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestions very fast portrait lens? Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
caspert79 wrote:

I have quite a few fast vintage portrait lenses, and I've been shooting with a couple of lenses not belonging to me. Here a few remarks, always concerning portrait situations / distances, and wide open shooting:

* Canon nFD 1.2/85 L: quite low contrast at f1.2, LoCAs, beautiful creamy bokeh
* Minolta AF 1.4/85mm: slightly more contrast than the nFD 1.2/85, good bokeh, LoCAs visible @ f1.4, nearly disappered at f2 and high contrast from f2.8 on
* Zeiss CY 1.4/85mm: slightly more contrast than the Minolta AF 1.4/85mm (at f 1.4). Otherwise very similar.
* Sony/Zeiss ZA 1.4/85mm: vintage glass. relatively small.
* Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 1.5/7.5 cm: Low contrast at f1.5 and f2. Strong swirley bokeh (NOT nice!!). Strong asigmatism at f1.4 ... f2.8 (not nice). Very sharp and very little CAs at f11.

* Nikkor AiS 1.8/105mm: high resolution and low contrast wide open. LoCAs. Excellent resolution and medium contrast at f2.8 ... f4. One of my preferred portrait lenses.
*Minolta AF 2/100mm: Very sharp and high contrast wide open, excellent at f2.8. CAs well controlled. My favourite on the A900.
* Sony Zeiss ZA 1.8/135mm: medium contrast and excellent detail resolution at f1.8, high contrast from f2.8 on. Clearly the best lens of all those mentioned here. Smooth bokeh (see pages 188/189 here in my book: http://artaphot.ch/images/PDFs/AlphaSystemBuch_I/Sony_Alpha_Vollformat-System_182-199_72dpi.pdf). Focusing goes down to 0.7 m. Manual focusing ring is large, but has too much play.
* Nikkor AiS 2/135mm: Heavy lump of glass! Slightly less detail compared tho the 1.8/105mmm Nikkor. Very nice portrait lens.
* Canon nFD 2/135mm: smaller, lighter and easier to work with than the Nikkor AiS 2/135mm. Performance and rendering (both infinity and portrait) indistinguishable from the Nikkor AiS 2/135mm. Low contrast, but high resolution wide open. Focusing is just right; not to loose, not too stiff. Very nice portrait lens.
* Minolta MD 2/135mm: Rare and (too) expensive. Low contrast and high resolution wide open. Focusing a bit too stiff; Canon nFD is easier to work with. Very nice portrait lens.

I've been testing at least have a dozen third-party 1.8/135mm and 2/135mm lenses. All had a very low contrast wide open, and many had a very smooth bokeh.

I have no personal experience with lenses such as the Zeiss 2/135mm APO, the Samyangs, the newer Canon EF lenses, and other modern designs. I expect them, generally, to be in line with the Sony/Zeiss ZA 1.8/135mm, though.

Stephan

Some interesting suggestions, like the nikkor 105/1.8.
Is the minolta af 100/2 workable in MF?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you should try an old petzval type projector lens as they are very cheap and have a beautiful rendering that makes for a special character for portraiture that no other lens type can emulate. If you find you don't like it, then you won't have wasted much money and can look for a more expensive and modern option.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta MD 100mm f2 would be my suggestion. Pretty sharp wide open and just gorgeous bokeh. Relatively expensive for its vintage but likely to hold its values. Not too heavy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Minolta MD 100mm f2 would be my suggestion. Pretty sharp wide open and just gorgeous bokeh. Relatively expensive for its vintage but likely to hold its values. Not too heavy.

Is it the same optically as the AF version?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
jamaeolus wrote:

Is it the same optically as the AF version?

There is no Minolta MD 2/100mm.

There is a Minolta AR/MC 2/100mm ...
http://www.artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektive/164-minolta-100mm-f2

... and a Minolta MC/MD 2.5/100mm. The 2.5/100mm comes in two different optical constructions, a [6/5] lens (MC-I, MC-II, And MC-X), and a [5/5] design (MC-X, and all MD variants):
http://www.artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektive/165-minolta-100mm-f25

The AF 2/100mm is a completely different construction with a floating element:
http://www.artaphot.ch/minolta-sony-af/objektive/263-minolta-af-100mm-f2

There's only one version of the AF 2/100mm, and manual focusing is much smoother than with the AF 2.8/100mm. Focusing is precise, and there's no play at all, but the focusing ring is very slim.

S

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

I just got one of these, and it's excellent. I'd say it's a bit smaller and a tiny bit lighter than a Helios 40-2.

I don't mind the weight so much after seeing the results.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:
caspert79 wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

I just got one of these, and it's excellent. I'd say it's a bit smaller and a tiny bit lighter than a Helios 40-2.

I don't mind the weight so much after seeing the results.

Like 1 Friends

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the good recommendations.
I will probably look for a Nikkor 105/1.8 or a Canon nfd 135/2.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What subject? Distance to camera?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many very fast projection lenses which work quite well for portraits.
I have a few resuts on my flickr site, if you would like to have a look here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
There are many very fast projection lenses which work quite well for portraits.
I have a few resuts on my flickr site, if you would like to have a look here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/albums

Very nice indeed, but I prefer an aperture.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Thanks for all the good recommendations.
I will probably look for a Nikkor 105/1.8 or a Canon nfd 135/2.

Both certainly are workhorse lenses, the Nikkor even more than the Canon (most nFD lenses seem a bit less sturdy than the corrsponding Nikkors). I'm using them mainly for b/w portraits on 24MP FF.

S

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to mislead but it is a minolta md mount 100mm f2. The version I have is labelled MINOLTA AUTO TELE ROKKOR -PF 1:2 F=100. Whatev's.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Sorry to mislead but it is a minolta md mount 100mm f2. The version I have is labelled MINOLTA AUTO TELE ROKKOR -PF 1:2 F=100. Whatev's.

This looks like a much earlier Minolta lens to me than MD. To be precise, the name of the mount is Minolta SR. MC stands for meter-coupled and indicates that the lens has a coupling for full aperture TTL light measurement, introduced in 1966. MD stands for meter-double and signifies it has an extra tab indicating the minimum aperture of the lens, allowing for shutter priority and program functions on the XD and later cameras, starting in 1977. Auto Tele Rokkor is a designation Minolta used for auto aperture lenses before the introduction of MC, so between 1958 and 1966.

For use on modern digital cameras the aperture coupling is not relevant, and often the term MD is used for all manual focus Minolta lenses, but for identifying various versions of the lens it is useful to distinguish between them. AFAIK there are early SR versions of this lens, like yours, MC versions but no MD versions.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestions very fast portrait lens? Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:

There two versions of 85mm f/1.2 lens in Canon FD mount, the older breechlock Aspherical version and the newer nFD L version. The L version is quite a bit less heavy and I tend to use that one more often for that reason, but I appreciate the rendering of the Aspherical perhaps a bit more. Owning both I should make a proper comparison, but I have a considerable list of lenses to test properly..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the Zenit Zenitar 85mm F1.4 that costs ~450 dollars brand new? However, I know nothing about its quality or performance.