Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Original front and rear caps for the Biotar 5,8cm f2 Exakta?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:50 am    Post subject: Original front and rear caps for the Biotar 5,8cm f2 Exakta? Reply with quote

Has anyone seen the original front and rear caps for the CZ Jena Biotar 5,8cm f2 Exakta before?

The thing is I was selling one of my Biotar 5,8cm (I have 4 of them, sold 1) and someone sent me a message asking if it includes front and rear caps. I replied yes it does come with generic front and rear caps. He then immediately lost interest to buy the lens.

I used to check eBay for the genuine caps for Biotar 5,8cm Exakta mount for several times but got no luck. Only some Exakta caps that are newly made from plastic or metal caps in other brands.

So has anyone seen the original genuine caps for this lens before? What are they look like and if it's possible at all to buy them? I assume it must be even rarer than the lens itself.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original exakta base caps for any brand are pretty unusual. I have not ever seen a Zeiss Jena lens with one. A few Steinheil or Schacht appear with the lenses. Many manufacturers did not include them. I guess the lens came on the camera or in a case without caps. I found it frustrating at first because I obsess with keeping caps on all my (many many ) lenses. I finally discovered that the caps for prescription bottles fit (albeit loosely). I can't bring myself to pay 5 bucks apiece for aftermarket plastic caps to fit them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what caps went with that lens, but I did find this pic, I don't know if it's original to the lens:

The later lenses used this style, with and without logos:

Your best bet is to see what the collectors have on their lenses from that period, assuming you want period correct caps, then you have to figure out what size you need, the outside diameter of the filter ring.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you jamaeolus and Lightshow. Very much appreciated!

The one with the logo should be okay, but probably not the original that came with the lens. I'll keep looking Very Happy