Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

M39 lenses with a "tongue" sticking out the rear
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: M39 lenses with a "tongue" sticking out the rear Reply with quote

Something just occurred to me and I would like to double check if I am correct.

I sometimes see lenses (for example various Steinheil Culminar 135mm lenses) that have a "tongue" that slightly protrudes from the rear of the lens. Is this a (or, the) rangefinder coupling? And if yes does the presence of such a "tongue" indicate that it is in fact an M39 for Leica and not an M39 lens for Braun Paxette? Is the reverse also true (no tongue = Braun)?

Example picture from eBay:

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answering my own question: Probably not, because Leitz lenses do not have this "tongue". So the question the n becomes, what is the purpose of this?

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Leitz lenses DO HAVE such, as it transmits the focus information to the camera to adjust the viewfinder.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Yes, Leitz lenses DO HAVE such, as it transmits the focus information to the camera to adjust the viewfinder.

Perhaps it's only on longer focal lengths. None of my LTM lenses have it, but I don't think I have any longer than 70mm.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
kds315* wrote:

Perhaps it's only on longer focal lengths. None of my LTM lenses have it, but I don't think I have any longer than 70mm.

It in fact depends on the focal length. The mechanism inside the camera is adjusted for normal lenses. Other focal lengths require a "translated" movement on the side of the lens. Sometimes this mechanism looks like a tongue, sometimes not.

S

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if a lens has a "tongue" then it definitely is a lens designed for a Leica. If it does not have the tongue, it might or might not be. Correct?

Any other way of distinguishing a Leica M39 from a Braun M39 lens by looking at the lens?

Regards, C.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Tongue" is only on longer focal lengths, 90mm seems to be the transition point, I have a few with and a few without the tongue, shorter lenses seem to use a ring with a helicoid that's driven off the main helicoid/focus ring, and longer lenses seem to all have the tongue, I assume it has to do with the the change in how much the optics have to move for the plane of focus to go from MFD to infinity, longer focal lengths require more movement to cover that range. Beyond 135mm they moved towards Visioflex for a TTL operation.
Edit: Yes, the tongue is an exclusive (to the best of my knowledge) feature of LTM.

Last edited by Lightshow on Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connloyalist wrote:
So if a lens has a "tongue" then it definitely is a lens designed for a Leica. If it does not have the tongue, it might or might not be. Correct?

Yes.

connloyalist wrote:
Any other way of distinguishing a Leica M39 from a Braun M39 lens by looking at the lens?

Maybe this?
http://forum.mflenses.com/braun-paxette-lenses-list-t80315.html

S

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 100% certain that its a LTM version. This lens wasn't made for Braun, only LTM and Exakta to my knowledge. It will have the initials VL on the front

LTM lenses that don't rotate internally when they're focused just use this 'tongue'. many lenses have one. It lines up with the rangefinder coupling. The Brauns use a full circle type of coupling. I doubt one like this would work on Braun.

my 135 lenses with tongues; Hektor Canon and Tanar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think about it, it makes sense that only longer focal length lenses should have this "tongue". In these older lenses the helicals and the optical components are at the front of the lens. If the lens is to be rangefinder coupled it is necessary that the position of those lens elements is transmitted to the camera's rangefinder arm. This "tongue" moves in and out as the lens is focused to convey that to the rangefinder. Shorter focal lengths do not require it as there is a rim on the back of the optics which moves the rangefinder arm instead. Just as this "tongue" does.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yoyomaoz wrote:
If you think about it, it makes sense that only longer focal length lenses should have this "tongue". In these older lenses the helicals and the optical components are at the front of the lens. If the lens is to be rangefinder coupled it is necessary that the position of those lens elements is transmitted to the camera's rangefinder arm. This "tongue" moves in and out as the lens is focused to convey that to the rangefinder. Shorter focal lengths do not require it as there is a rim on the back of the optics which moves the rangefinder arm instead. Just as this "tongue" does.

Yes, the tongue acts as an extension to the focusing mechanism