Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron Adaptall CZ 210 M 85-210mm f4.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 4:16 am    Post subject: Tamron Adaptall CZ 210 M 85-210mm f4.5 Reply with quote

At 210mm and f8 here. Image is a slight crop, re-sized to fit here, and otherwise, un-manipulated. ISO 200

With the macro lug engaged at about 1:3 and f8.
Image is cropped slightly and corrected in post for slightly blown highlights, and slight sharpening applied.

There it is before cleaning. I had to tighten the zoom collar screws- someone has been inside it previously to probably clean fungus. They even installed a mis-matched screw under the mount.
I (quite roughly) trimmed away the swelled sections of the focus grip rubber.

I like this twin ring zoom idea a lot.

-D.S.

Last edited by Doc Sharptail on Mon May 22, 2023 3:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's another good and under rated old Tamron. I haven't used mine for years, I shall have to find it.

Here's a sample of what it can do, I think it was either on my Pentax K10 or Sony NEX5, crop sensor for sure.

The lens is standing upright at the back. I had so many Tamron's with bad grips, and as many Yashica FX-D's, I just went mad with some read leather.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will add a few comments on it-
Focus throw is very short for it's long focal length. It is not an easy lens to focus, and gets harder to focus at the wide end.
It purple fringes quite heavily in strong back-lighting at any aperture, which is not really surprising for a lens this old.
On my copy, there is a bit of focus shift going from 210 to 85mm. That may be due to it being dismantled and worked on by previous owner.

That being said, when used with-in it's parameters, it is a surprisingly good piece of glass.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
That's another good and under rated old Tamron. I haven't used mine for years, I shall have to find it.

Here's a sample of what it can do, I think it was either on my Pentax K10 or Sony NEX5, crop sensor for sure.

The lens is standing upright at the back. I had so many Tamron's with bad grips, and as many Yashica FX-D's, I just went mad with some read leather.

You're missing the Big Guy 200-500mm zoom , wonder how much did it cost when it was released.
I have a pristine one and is flawless after so long time.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work with the leatherette.
I think I've got enough old junkers here to start pirating the focus grip rubber.
I'd like to find a precision way to cut them first, though.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do wonder, with lens focus grip rubber, how you're meant to shrink it back to fit once it's off.

A handful of times once it's loosened it goes to a 'larger' diameter that's no longer as flush fitting.

Any thoughts? Of course - nice pictures Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
I do wonder, with lens focus grip rubber, how you're meant to shrink it back to fit once it's off.

A handful of times once it's loosened it goes to a 'larger' diameter that's no longer as flush fitting.

Any thoughts? Of course - nice pictures Smile

I did try boiling water with Nikon rubber grip but not successful,this one is pretty thick,others are much thinner so most cases wouldn't be a problem I guess

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Nice work with the leatherette.
I think I've got enough old junkers here to start pirating the focus grip rubber.
I'd like to find a precision way to cut them first, though.

-D.S.

"LEATHERETTE" that's real leather, straight from special red cows Wink

Actually, it was a huge ladies handbag that I got from a charity shop, I even modified the bag strap and put old camera strap ends on it. I cut the straight lines in the leather with a disc blade which avoids the pulling if using a craft knife, which I do use for the curves. I use contact cement to glue it on and it seems to work just fine.

I've had no joy with trying to rescue the stretched or degrading rubber grips. There is some stuff that the classic car restorers use for sotening rubber parts like grommets and door seals, I tried some that a friend had and it did nothing to improve a grip at all, I tried it on an old Tamron and a Chinon grip and saw no difference at all, but like my friend pointed out he was using it on 1930 era cars when the rubber used was probably 'purer' than the stuff used on post1960's camera parts. I'm no rubber expert, but I think the modern stuff is plasticised ?

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The QZ150m 70-150mm 1:3.5 is also a sleeper lens.
Halfway by The lens profile, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
The QZ150m 70-150mm 1:3.5 is also a sleeper lens.

Enablers! Wink Wink

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely worth working with a bit more.
The American Black Ash outside our back door is flowering~ something I had never seen it do before. We have been here a good 12 years or so, and it's the first I've seen of this.
At 210mm here and f5.6, 1/320 sec at ISO 800 for the dense shade.
The rendering is something else, as long as one is willing to put up with the slightly glowing high-lights.

Same subject again, with the macro lug engaged at 1:3 and f8.
Both frames unmanipulated except the macro shot has been cropped quite a bit.

Sturgeon Creek at sunset last week.
At 210mm and f8 again at ISO 800.
Slightly cropped and resized with a bit of contrast and sharpening added.

This one's definitely a keeper.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:

Any thoughts?

Pretty easy to fix -

1) remove the loose grip,
2) put some pattex repair extreme glue on both the lens barrel as well as the rubber grip, and
3) press the loose rubber grip onto the lens barrel using an elastic adhesive tape (to compress the loose rubber grip)
4) leave it for a day or so
5) remove the elastic adhesive tape

S

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a stretched grip on a 350mm mirror. Heat is supposed to return rubber to its original dimensions, in this case boiling water did enough to make the fit acceptable, plus I had to trim the width a bit. I have also cut grips, trimmed down a bit then glued the edges together using rubber glue or "shoe-goo" type glue with backing paper under the join.
Nice job with the leatherette lloydy.