Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 "Bokina"
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 "Bokina" Reply with quote

It's been a while since this lens had a thread.

Sometimes I go long stretches without using it--there's a Canon 100L that handles day-to-day macro--but then I'll break it out and instantly be reminded why I'll never part with it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Like 1 Like 1 small

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely Mike! Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's a stunning lens.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the lens contributed but that is a wonderful photograph.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Stellar!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 90/2.5 "Bokina" Reply with quote

Mike Deep wrote:
It's been a while since this lens had a thread.

Sometimes I go long stretches without using it--there's a Canon 100L that handles day-to-day macro--but then I'll break it out and instantly be reminded why I'll never part with it.

Old heroes never fade away.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Abstract cat with ninja eye Reply with quote

Edit: Tokina AT-X 90mm 2.5 was used for this image. At 4.0 it shows this aperture flaw. I expected that an EXIF is shown somewhere when an image is uploaded but it seems to be absent here.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump for spring.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1
A delightful lens in the FL I find myself using most.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots. I've had so many 85/90/100/105mm lenses. But whenever I pick it up and take some pictures, I feel I actually only need this 90mm/2.5 to be mounted on the camera in this focal range.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one for long time, but, making closeups, it produce a pail spot in the centre of the frame.
The sister of this lens, Vivitar 100mm f2,8, works without this fault.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulius wrote:
I have one for long time, but, making closeups, it produce a pail spot in the centre of the frame.

I had similar issues with a Leica Elmarit 60, stunning on film, but weak on digital

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
Paulius wrote:

I had similar issues with a Leica Elmarit 60, stunning on film, but weak on digital

Try the Yashica ML 55mm f/2.8. I didn’t do a direct comparison, but I’m confident it can compete with Leica 60 and Planar macro. Some people on the C/Y forum claim that the Yashica is better than the Planar 60/2.8.

Btw. Never had any issues with the Tokina version of this macro. I shortly had the Vivitar as well, but sold it because it was beat up. Images look quite different: the Tokina’s images look much more modern, but I like the vintage look of the Vivitar as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very nice work with sujects and composition!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bokina does not have a hotspot on digital. It's the Tamron 90mm f2.5 that does that.

The Vivitar version of the Bokina does have ineffective multicoating that leads to veiling flare--this will happen on digital or film, because it's a true lens flare and not a sensor reflection. But that means you can see it in real time and compose with it, unlike sensor reflections, which surprise you after the shot.

For me, that veiling flare is part of the charm, and often makes my modern lenses feel cold and clinical. I can throw this lens at backlighting and get dramatic volume:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Ultrapix wrote:
Paulius wrote:

Try the Yashica ML 55mm f/2.8. I didn’t do a direct comparison, but I’m confident it can compete with Leica 60 and Planar macro. Some people on the C/Y forum claim that the Yashica is better than the Planar 60/2.8.

Btw. Never had any issues with the Tokina version of this macro. I shortly had the Vivitar as well, but sold it because it was beat up. Images look quite different: the Tokina’s images look much more modern, but I like the vintage look of the Vivitar as well.

I had the Yashica, but I gifted it to a friend as thanksgiving for a job and he is super happy. Never shooted myself with it, BTW, I am quite satisfied by my Canon EF 50/2.5 right now, and the only vintage macro winking at me is the original Micro Nikkor 1:3.5/55 only for sentimental reasons Cool

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulius wrote:

Not really a sister, as the Viv 100/105 lens was a Kino rather than a Tokina and with completely different optics (and native 1:1 mag) but certainly a worthy stable-mate to the 90mm S1 rebrand of the Bokina, which also used an aux lens for 1:1. So were the Komine-made "Holy Trinity" of 55mm, 90mm, and 135mm macro/close focus Vivitar lenses.