Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Tamron Adaptall-2 lens patents?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Tamron Adaptall-2 lens patents? Reply with quote

I know not everything ends up being patented, and some things based on lapsed patents - but this still leaves me pondering.

Extensive efforts have been made to find out who manufactured what lens for Vivitar, Soligor, Sun etc - so this might also be worth your time.

So far, I have been able to find the following, after a bit of digging. Basically all 1969-1983 is what I'm looking for

Tokina - quite a few, such as the earlier 35-105mm f3.5 (JPS5163634A)
Kino/Kiron - good number of zooms and primes
Vivitar - the f1.9 wides, few zooms but also cheaper ones such as a 28mm f/2.8 (US4333714A - this one http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Vivitar_28mm_f/2.8_MC_Wide_Angle)
Soligor- bookmarked but not dug through yet
Sigma- spotty, and all after the XQ line maybe bar one. Haven't dug further

But for Tamron? The Adaptall mount is patented and inscribed on all the lenses (US3500735). A fun bit of trivia, they also patented the 'tapered barrel' of the later Chinon lenses they made (USD248766S).

Beyond this we only have a small sliver of their Adaptall lenses patented, compared to other manufacturers:

JPS5538520A is the 500mm f/8 - interesting the size comparison to 'typical' mirror lenses is right in the patent https://i.postimg.cc/8CfMJTMG/image.png
JPS5536863A is the "spherical aberration compensator group" of the SP 300mm f5.6

Nothing after this- only patents 1983 onwards, too late.
I've looked around all the possible "Tamron" names, looked through individual inventor's patents to see if it went by older name etc. Nothing turned up!

So- any help or enlightment?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tamron Adaptall-2 lens patents? Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
. . .

No, just gratitude and curiosity about what you've shared.
Interesting information! Thank you.

Regarding patent searching, I've recently become interested in finding patents for early interchangeable lens systems - T mount, et al.
Beyond following the advanced search guidelines, do you have any advice about how best to search patent databases?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tamron Adaptall-2 lens patents? Reply with quote

55 wrote:
eggplant wrote:
. . .

No, just gratitude and curiosity about what you've shared.
Interesting information! Thank you.

Regarding patent searching, I've recently become interested in finding patents for early interchangeable lens systems - T mount, et al.
Beyond following the advanced search guidelines, do you have any advice about how best to search patent databases?

I've had a few attempts at writing something decent here, it's hard to say.

For example, you could quite literally type "Vivitar" or "Tokina" into Google patents and you will find what I found.

Beyond that, I use two ways to 'dig back'- click on the inventor name to see if they made earlier things for a slightly differently named assignee (e.g. Tokina Optical vs Tokinaa Kogaku kk), or see if they cited an earlier patent of their own.

The unspoken issue there is language differences, particularly as a Westerner. You stack Google trying it's best with your unfamiliarity with Japanese, German, French etc and you can quickly hit brick walls!

From that, on multiple occasions you can end up with 'blank patents' - no title, no assignee, no inventor, no way of finding it on Google unless you know the exact number:

(Ignore that this has a citation and assignee, it's the best example I have to hand at the minute)

The solution, and where I'd imagine you'd find your T4 patent, is to go for country-specific patent websites rather than Google.
I haven't gone this deep yet, as I haven't found a need to, but will report back.

Also

REMEMBER: just because it doesn't have a download link on Google, doesn't mean anything. Just click (for example) the "Espacenet" link and it'll display:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help, eggplant!

Like 1