Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon LS-20e scanner lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Nikon LS-20e scanner lens Reply with quote

I just opened up an old Nikon LS-20e film scanner and took out the tiny lens.
Does anybody know how to determine the correct distance between the lens and the camera sensor?
I want to try to use it in a macro setup.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

point the lens towards the sun, or in any case an object at infinity; place a sheet of white paper behind the optics and measure the distance; the calculation of the focal length is complex, because you would need to know the position of the front nodal point (usually inside the optics), but you can have a rough idea of the space needed; for macro, that distance has to be increased proportionally

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. A rough idea is all I need.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just measure the distance from the lens to the sensor in the LS20 you took it out of?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Parkhurst wrote:
Why not just measure the distance from the lens to the sensor in the LS20 you took it out of?

It's very hard to measure, because the lens is covered, there is only a slit and a mirror.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I guess that a scanner lens only covers a very tiny area (hence the necessity of scanning the original), so I am really curious to know what you can do with it in macro, where the covered area obviously grows...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
By the way, I guess that a scanner lens only covers a very tiny area (hence the necessity of scanning the original), so I am really curious to know what you can do with it in macro, where the covered area obviously grows...

It could very well be that it doesn’t cover. The Coolscan iv does, but I’m not sure about this one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This type of scanner lens is designed to scan the width of 35mm film (ie 24mm) onto a line sensor. I don't know how large this sensor is in the LS20, but in the later LS40/4000 series it is a 32mm long sensor. In that scanner the lens is designed for 32/24=1.33x magnification with an image circle of 32mm.

The image circle will be a bit larger than that design minimum of 32mm at 1.33x and will be larger still when used at higher magnidfications.

http://www.savazzi.net/photography/scanner_nikkor_40mm.html

and

https://www.closeuphotography.com/scanner-nikkor-ed-7-element-lens

are descriptions of the LS40 lens, the later ED element version of the Nikon lens out of 35mm scanners.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good results from the LS20 / LS30, which use the same lens. The LS40 is different/bigger/has ED elements. The LS20 does cover 24mm so is good on APS-C. at ~0.7:1 reversed and even better at 1.33x forward.