Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD 28mm f/2.8 - thoughts?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Minolta MD 28mm f/2.8 - thoughts? Reply with quote

So i got a Minolta 28mm f/2.8 MD recently for £15, late MD version with 49mm filter thread. I haven't recieved my adapter yet so I can't test it - does anyone have this lens and if so, how do you find it? Samples would be nice too if possible, and once I recieve my adapter I will post some soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MD-III version of the Minolta 2.8/28mm exists in two different versions:

* 7-lens
* 5-lens

From outside they are difficult to distinguish; performance-wise the older 7-lens version (which was made as MC-X, MD-II and MD-II as well) is slightly better:

http://www.artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektiv-vergleiche/330-nex-5n-und-28mm-objektive

Stephan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it and I think it's an ok lens for the money. Not really special in any way but good enough for most purposes. Here's my flickr album for this lens, but it doesn't contain many photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/8800601@N04/sets/72157645460465821

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Great pictures too miran, seems like the lens is quite capable!

So I got bored and decided to "freelens" with it, with a metabones EF adapter mounted onto the a7s:

(IS04000 btw, so maybe not the best representation of quality but still quite good IMO)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If wonder which version your MD is, this page may help. Hint: presence of the thin ring over the frontmost element.
http://home.kpn.nl/dielpeet/minolta/minolta-28mm-lenses.htm

I have the 7/7 version. It produces photos with nice background at close distances. Stopped down a bit, results are not bad. And Minolta colors are always with you.

I like this photo very much, maybe more than I should as it is the second time I am sharing it here (sorry)

Foliage

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just converted the Celtic version to a direct Canon EOS mount. I took it to the Grand Canyon earlier this month. Here's a panorama stitched together using Microsoft Image Composite Editor. It is 10 photos, 5 across and 2 high. Not the best quality but fun to use.

Here's one of the center photos used in the panorama.

Here's a 100% crop from the center of the above panorama and photo. The distance to this point in the photo from where I was standing is about 3 miles.

I took the photos in the middle of the day under the blazing Arizona sun. I had a polarizing filter on to cut through the haze and smoke from a controlled burn in the forest that was drifting into the canyon. The photos were taken using a Canon 50D at 1/800 sec at f11. I also used a tripod and delayed shutter release. I wish I had brought along my Canon EF 28-135mm to compare.

I'm pretty happy with the results for a lens I purchased for $5.00.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ $5?!! Oy! Lucky dog!

Killer photos folks!

I also have the MD Celtic version with 55mm filter, same lens as the MD W Rokkor-X. 7 elements.
It has excellent resolution, and vibrant colors thanks to the MD coating.
It's one of my top favorite 28mm lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it known, the late Minolta MD (New MD, MD III) has a two versions of 28mm F2.8 lens - one is 7 elements in 7 groups, another is 5 elements in 5 groups
Here the review with tests for older 7x7
Here the review with tests for newer 5x5 (I met the opinion somewhere that the autofocused Minolta AF lens has the same scheme, but I have no confirmation)

And all four Minolta MD 28mm lens comparison "head to head"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta MD 28mm f2.8 for the money a very good lens (low ca, as do many other Minolta lenses) I have a copy to sell because he is much "lathering" on one side.
A7R + Minolta Md 28mm f2.8

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNG555 wrote:
^ $5?!! Oy! Lucky dog!

Killer photos folks!

I also have the MD Celtic version with 55mm filter, same lens as the MD W Rokkor-X. 7 elements.
It has excellent resolution, and vibrant colors thanks to the MD coating.

The Minolta Celtic lenses have only single layer coatings; for the "real Minolta coating" you must go for a real MC/MD lens Wink

Stephan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens, 7/7 MD-III version, I only find it OK. Center is nice and sharp but edges and corners never really get there. My copy is its sharpest at f/5.6, diffraction degrades image quality at f/8. I find it performs better on 24m-pix full frame than it does on 16m-pix APS-C.

I have an MD-I 28mm f/3.5 5/5 on the way, it should be a bit better on the sides but we will see!

EDIT: Got the MD-I 28mm f/3.5 5/5. It's sharper in the center at all aperture lengths but corners are worse. I'm wondering if Minolta changed the glass from the MC-X 5/5 version. Oh well, still a good lens.

Last edited by Steakface on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:02 am; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to my comparison of all the Minolta MC/MD 28mm lens designs:

* 3.5/28mm (MC-I [7/7], 67mm filter diameter)
* 3.5/28mm (MC-I/MC-II/MC-X, [7/7], 55mm filter diameter)
* 3.5/28mm (MC-X, MD-I/MD-II/MD-III, [5/5])
* 2.5/28mm (MC-I, MD-II, MC-X)
* 2/28mm (MC/MD-I/MD-II)
* 2/28mm (MD-III)
* 2.8/28mm (MC/MD-I/MD-II/MD-III, [7/7])
* 2.8/28mm (MD-III, [5/5])

http://artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektiv-vergleiche/506-minolta-mc-md-28mm-lenses-on-24mp-full-frame

Stephan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Here's a link to my comparison of all the Minolta MC/MD 28mm lens designs:

* 3.5/28mm (MC-I [7/7], 67mm filter diameter)
* 3.5/28mm (MC-I/MC-II/MC-X, [7/7], 55mm filter diameter)
* 3.5/28mm (MC-X, MD-I/MD-II/MD-III, [5/5])
* 2.5/28mm (MC-I, MD-II, MC-X)
* 2/28mm (MC/MD-I/MD-II)
* 2/28mm (MD-III)
* 2.8/28mm (MC/MD-I/MD-II/MD-III, [7/7])
* 2.8/28mm (MD-III, [5/5])

http://artaphot.ch/minolta-sr/objektiv-vergleiche/506-minolta-mc-md-28mm-lenses-on-24mp-full-frame

Stephan

Hi Stephan,

Is there a way to tell if the MD III is a 5/5 or 7/7? Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:

The front name ring looks slightly different; i.e. the 5/5 version shows an extra inner ring and this is missing on the 7/7 version.
Furthermore the serial of the 7/7 starts with 8xxxxxx and the newer 5/5 with 9xxxxxx.

There are contradictory informations as to which is the better version. I have both but didn't compare them directly yet; i.e. I don't know. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:

Another difference is that the IR dot on the depth of focus scale is in ever so slightly a different place for the two different models. On both models it is between the F4 and F8 mark on the right hand side of the scale, but on the 5/5 model it is slightly closer to F8, and on the 7/7 model it is slightly closer to the F4 mark. You need to compare photos of both to see what is a very small difference, but it is quite handy once you know, as the serial number is not always shown in listings.