Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss Planar T* 1.7/50 on Sony a850
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Zeiss Planar T* 1.7/50 on Sony a850 Reply with quote

So the trolls don't come along and try to tell me a Contax/Yashica mount lens won't work on an A-mount camera, I need to point out that this one has had a Leitax replacement mount fitted.

I really like this lens, hard to find fault with it in normal use, it just does the job very well and is pleasurable to work with.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very nice series.
I can see why you like it so much
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought one of these. I have yet to use it in any real sense. I was trying to get a Contax kit together for my a7rii after finding a bargain 35mm 1.4 with (negligible!) "coating damage" for a (to me) reasonable sum of $650. I also have the 28mm 2.8 distagon but I don't think it quite goes to infinity but the weather and smoke has been SO BAD I have not yet had a good chance to try to sort that. I also plan to (eventually) get the 28-85 zoom and the 85 1.4 planar. I have read (somewhere, here?) that many consider the 50mm 1.7 amongst the best normal lenses ever, in terms of overall sharpness and IQ.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of the best 50-ish lenses I own, is it the best? I don't know, maybe, but that is just in technical terms, and I don't judge lenses purely on their technical abilities. There are other lenses 50-ish lenses I enjoy using just as much.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Best" is of course a value term and what is valued varies, a lot. depending on what it is you are shooting, what the conditions are what the goal of the image creation really is and so forth, so I understand your statement completely.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great lens, I've got a lot of very good 50ish lenses, some a bit faster, and they all get used - as the fancy takes me. So I wouldn't choose a favourite or speculate on the 'best' among them ( I don't do pixel peeping and poring over lens charts ) but the Planar 50 / 1.7 is a lens I choose a lot, and it always gives me great pleasure, because it delivers great images like these from Ian.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers David.

There's a 'pool' of normal lenses that are close to my heart and it has maybe a dozen members. This Planar was the most expensive, the cheapest was 99p, I couldn't pick a favourite, I really enjoy all of them.

I will say this though - this Planar is perhaps the most dependable in the widest range of situations and conditions, it always does a good job as long as I do my part in how I use it. There's a lot to be said for such reliability.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great pictures, nice lens!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Cheers David.

There's a 'pool' of normal lenses that are close to my heart and it has maybe a dozen members. This Planar was the most expensive, the cheapest was 99p, I couldn't pick a favourite, I really enjoy all of them.

I will say this though - this Planar is perhaps the most dependable in the widest range of situations and conditions, it always does a good job as long as I do my part in how I use it. There's a lot to be said for such reliability.

Absolutely.... I rate my lenses on a level of 'trust' - "dependaple". I've got nearly 400 lenses here at the moment, half in my Camera Fair sale boxes, half on shelves of 'my collection'. And of that 200 there's possibly 20 I trust implicitly, the Planar's are on that short list, but there's only four or five I'll rescue if the house burns down. They're on that list as well.

But, I haven't got a bloody clue how well any of my trustworthy lenses perform in tests, and I care even less. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I haven't got a bloody clue how well any of my trustworthy lenses perform in tests, and I care even less. Wink

Like 1