Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need help to reassemble Vivitar (Komine) 28mm f/2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 1:49 am    Post subject: Need help to reassemble Vivitar (Komine) 28mm f/2 Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm new on this forum and I hope I can find an answer to my problem.

I own a Vivitar 28mm f/2 FD mount lens and I needed to clean the front elements because there were fungus. However, I forgot the order of 3 elements and I'm not able to find a descent explanation of the order in order to reassemble the lens.

I know there is a topic about this on this forum, but the links are broken and even after 2 hours of research, I didn't find a good tutorial on Youtube, only videos which don't show the internal parts of the lens and the order of elements.

Broken links here : http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-28-2-0-close-focus-komine-disassembly-t81096.html

Even the diagram of the lens doesn't help me because it doesn't show the position of a long black ring that seems to be inserted first and which is the same size of a thick glass.

It would be very very nice if I can find some help. I like this lens very much.

Thanks alot in advance.

Jeremy.

PS : English is not my native language, I'm sorry for the mistakes.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Need help to reassemble Vivitar (Komine) 28mm f/2 Reply with quote

JeremyB wrote:
Hello,

I'm new on this forum and I hope I can find an answer to my problem.

I own a Vivitar 28mm f/2 FD mount lens and I needed to clean the front elements because there were fungus. However, I forgot the order of 3 elements and I'm not able to find a descent explanation of the order in order to reassemble the lens.

I know there is a topic about this on this forum, but the links are broken and even after 2 hours of research, I didn't find a good tutorial on Youtube, only videos which don't show the internal parts of the lens and the order of elements.

Broken links here : http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-28-2-0-close-focus-komine-disassembly-t81096.html

Even the diagram of the lens doesn't help me because it doesn't show the position of a long black ring that seems to be inserted first and which is the same size of a thick glass.

It would be very very nice if I can find some help. I like this lens very much.

Thanks alot in advance.

Jeremy.

PS : English is not my native language, I'm sorry for the mistakes.

Welcome JeremyB

Spam prevention measure doesn't allow link in first post -- link will show after you post another message...

Last edited by visualopsins on Fri May 14, 2021 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help to reassemble Vivitar (Komine) 28mm f/2 Reply with quote

JeremyB wrote:
. . .
. . .

Welcome, JeremyB.

If your lens is the close focus version, I hope my images may help you.

The first three elements in my (Komine) close focus lens have their convex surfaces facing up. Starting at the top, here's the arrangement:

Threaded retaining ring, first element, spacer, second element and then third element. Click the photo to see a larger size.

You mentioned a black ring which is inserted first. My lens has a removable spacer / baffle which sits below the third element.
This is what it looks like:

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help to reassemble Vivitar (Komine) 28mm f/2 Reply with quote

Hello 55,

55 wrote:
Welcome, JeremyB.

If your lens is the close focus version, I hope my images may help you.

It does help alot! It is very appreciated, thank you very much.

55 wrote:
The first three elements in my (Komine) close focus lens have their convex surfaces facing up. Starting at the top, here's the arrangement:

Threaded retaining ring, first element, spacer, second element and then third element. Click the photo to see a larger size.

Ok, I better understand the order for those elements, but I still have to insert the spacer / baffle you've mentionned + a thick glass which doesn't appear on your image. Here is what I have :

Here on close focus :

And here is the opened lens :

I have the feeling that the last thick element goes just after the diaphragm and before inserting the spacer, but I'm not sure.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help to reassemble Vivitar (Komine) 28mm f/2 Reply with quote

JeremyB wrote:

I have the feeling that the last thick element goes just after the diaphragm and before inserting the spacer, but I'm not sure.

Success! I was right, the thick element goes first, then the spacer / baffle.

The lens is back on track.

So, for documentation and future topics regarding the elements of this lens, folow the order of my picture above from right to left to reassemble it properly.

Thanks again for your precious help. This forum is very helpful.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, JeremyB. I'm happy to hear you solved it.

I did take out the thick spacer and thick element from my lens, and they go back in just as you said.
Also, in case anyone wonders, the narrower end of the spacer and the more convex surface of the (biconvex) element face up toward the top of the lens.

And you're right about MFLenses - it's a helpful, fun site. Tell your friends about MFL because it would be nice to have more participants here. Smile