Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some normals lenses. Experiences?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Some normals lenses. Experiences? Reply with quote

I have some normals lenses

Among them

45/2 Minolta
50/2 Nikkor Pre Ais
50/1,8 Nikkor Ais
50/1,8 Miranda
50/1,8 Planar HFT QBM
50/1,8 Color Ultron QBM
50/1,8 Xenon QBM
50/1,4 Hexanon V.2
55/1,8 Mamiya SX
55/1,4 Mamiya SX
57/1,4 Hexanon
58/1,4 Minolta v. 2

The sharpest?
To my eyes, the Xenon 50/1,8
Very close, the Color Ultron QBM and the Mamiya 55/1,8

Better colors?
Color Ultron and Planar. The Hexanon 50/1,4.

Contast?
All are good.

My options?
50/1,8 Xenon QBM (because sharpness, cold colors and contrast), Nikkor 50/2 Pre Ais (I don´t know why, but will be with me, love the images taken with it) and the Minolta 58/1,4 V.2 because the IQ.

Your experience with that lenses?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the two Minoltas, the 1.4/50 Hexanon and the Planar and love them all. The Planar has excellent coatings, is close to apochromatic and very sharp, the Minolta 2/45 has rich colours and nice bokeh, the Hexanon is very sharp, the 1.4/58 Minolta has vintage character.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I have the two Minoltas, the 1.4/50 Hexanon and the Planar and love them all. The Planar has excellent coatings, is close to apochromatic and very sharp, the Minolta 2/45 has rich colours and nice bokeh, the Hexanon is very sharp, the 1.4/58 Minolta has vintage character.

Can I ask you which are the two first numbers of the serie of your planar ?
Thank you

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to find it. It's one of the early Singapore produced ones, doesn't say HFT on it, I think it's got the earlier dual layer coating. I think I have a later HFT 1.4 version as well, I shall have to look in my boxes of lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
I'll have to find it. It's one of the early Singapore produced ones, doesn't say HFT on it, I think it's got the earlier dual layer coating. I think I have a later HFT 1.4 version as well, I shall have to look in my boxes of lenses.

Thank you. With all you told me, I just know what I need to know about the planar.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the pleasantness of Nikkor 50/2 pre Ai pictures

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Some normals lenses. Experiences? Reply with quote

papasito wrote:
I...Nikkor 50/2 Pre Ais (I don´t know why, but will be with me, love the images taken with it)...

As a boy to keep me busy I "helped" arrange hundreds of slides at a friend's home. One of my first mflenses was 28mm Takumar. First result I exclaimed , "That's it! That Look!"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the images produced are sometimes more than the sum of their parts.
I have, or have had many of the lenses from the list, but the two that continue to make images that always please are the Nikkor H 50mm f2 and the Auto Miranda 50mm f1.8.
The Miranda is especially good as a portrait lens on a cropped sensor .....APSc or 4/3
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Yes, the images produced are sometimes more than the sum of their parts.
I have, or have had many of the lenses from the list, but the two that continue to make images that always please are the Nikkor H 50mm f2 and the Auto Miranda 50mm f1.8.
The Miranda is especially good as a portrait lens on a cropped sensor .....APSc or 4/3
Tom

My miranda has fungus, so less contrast. Very good resolution power and IQ, Beauty images.
It seems to me that the version to go for is the one wich came with the EC letters (better coating)

EDIT: I take off the fungus (almost completely) and my Miranda 50/1,8 was born again.
Excellent lens!!!!
Medium contrast, GREAT sharpness from F/2,8. Amazing details definition.
I think that it's a lens for general use with very good results

Last edited by papasito on Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
I agree on the pleasantness of Nikkor 50/2 pre Ai pictures

Me too. Like 1 small