Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rodenstock rotelar 400mm f6 query
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:09 am    Post subject: Rodenstock rotelar 400mm f6 query Reply with quote

I bought this giant glass just to take a good look at it hoping some good imaging might result from a DIY project. Anybody got any ideas what it's for? It has 82mm
diameter lenses front and back it is about 150mm overall length. The elements are at each end of the optical tube (no setback). Weighs right at 1 kg. Likely missing part of the system. The alum ring has extremely fine threads. It has numbers from 1 to 12 around the barrel.

[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20209/big_7980_1599954569660683779848_1.jpg]

[/url
]
[url=http://forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20209/big_7980_15999550049281958836468_1.jpg]

[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps from an x-ray machine or other medical/industrial imaging system, perhaps it functioned as a relay lens.

The Rotelar is a telephoto design with a small image circle - just over half the focal length, with only the inner portion of that image circle being rendered well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this thread from 2005 ...

https://grossformatfotografie.de/thread/727-tele-arton-5-5-270-vs-rotelar-5-6-270/

... the last poster describes a phonecall to Rodenstock, asking about the Rotelar history. According to the informatrioin of a Rodenstock technician, the Rotelars originally were made for x-ray machines (I would say probably for the tech realm, not for humans, because they are really slow). Again according to the Rodenstock technician, later the Rotelars were also used in general photography, e. g. the 270mm for 9x12cm large format. The Rotelar were not only corrected for infinity, but also for smaller distances (unlike the Schneider Tele-Arton).

S

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I cobbled together a system of cardboard tubes and metal tubes that slide one inside the other and did a sample shot to test feasibility. It seemed to work but required holding the lens in one hand and the camera in the other and sliding the camera mounted tube inside the lens mounted tube. Needless to say it did not really represent the potential sharpness of the lens. In addition the air is so smoky here that I could barely see the house across the street. So distant objects lose contrast and colors quite rapidly. I have already started work on an adapter but need to go to the store for some parts. I am trying to minimize outside time as our air quality is literally the worst it has ever been. I will keep you posted as I progress.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A piece of plastic drainpipe lined with a velvet type material will work. Good luck and stay safe.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One tube slides into another (two tubes Smile )for focusing...

Guessed some sort of process lens -- x-ray makes sense...