Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Adjust infinity in Helios 44 M39
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Adjust infinity in Helios 44 M39 Reply with quote

I have repeatedly found on the Internet the (wrong) information about the compatibility of the early M39 version of the Helios 44 with the register of standard M42 (and PK) cameras.
There is about a quarter of millimeter difference. If not adjusted, the lens can be easily fitted on a M42 camera via one of those cheap M39-to-M42 adapter rings, but it would miss infinity by a little.
If the diaphragm is stopped down enough the problem is almost gone, but we don't buy a Helios 44 to stop it down to f/16, isn't it?
Some CLA'ed lenses shipped from Russia or Ukraine are coming with the adapter ring, and already adjusted for spot-on infinity on M42 bodies (or other mounts, using an M42 adapter, as i do with my Pentax DSLR cameras), and this makes the subject even more confusing, because some buyers never encounter this problem and would report in good faith that there is no register mismatch.
This is exactly what happened when i bought a beautiful Helios 40 ("silver", made in 1961 IIRC). It came with the ring and already adjusted, and to my surprise was looking almost new (which suggests a thorough CLA).
The Helios 44 i just received is the aluminium KMZ version with 8 diaphragm blades.
It's in great conditions, and has a non-industrial adapter ring that looks and feels as it has just been removed from the lathe Smile
Unfortunately the infinity is a little off.
I am determined to correct the problem, cause the lens seems to be great, from my first tests.
I would like to avoid to remove some material from the mating surface of the mount, so i would like to know if there is any way to solve the problem in a non-destructive way, for example adjusting the focusing helicoid by the needed amount...
Any suggestion/link/video?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

ciao

Paolo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search on this web site, time ago a correct answer was provided to a similar question.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The optics unscrew from the helicoid and there are shims between the 2, add or remove as required.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be solved by a m39 adapter and a zenit macro ring. One of the rings in the set has the correct thickness.

Better than working with the lens. For mirrorless cameras only.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned the PK mount in my post, but I guess it was not made clear enough...
I need to use the lens on Pentax DSLR cameras, now almost always a K-1 full frame, so I don't need tubes.
It misses infinity by a little, it needs to get closer to the focus plane, not away from it! Smile
As I have already written, the lens came with a M39-to-M42 ring... but the problem isn't caused by the ring (btw, even away from home, I happen to have spares!) Smile
The problem is due to a different register. These early lenses have an M39 thread with a register much longer than Leica rangefinder cameras. Almost identical to M42 Pentax screw-mount... almost!
I found the same kind of problem with Enna lenses that were made with the same mount and a very similar register. Probably they were made for the Braun Paxette, but I'm not 100% sure.
What I know is that they have the same identical problem: with the M39 ring + a PK adapter they miss infinity by a little. Of course it is more evident with longer focals.

ciao, and thanks for the feedback

Paolo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paolo, Lightshow showed you waht you have to do....just do that, or if you are skeptical....remove the shim between the optical block and the focusing block...put it back, mount it on the camera and you ll see that now the lens focuses past infinity Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that all problems are caused by ignorance.

In the Soviet Union, four variants of M39 threaded mounting were used.

1) M39 - almost complete analog of LTM (L39). For rangefinder cameras. Flange focal distance - 28,8 mm
2) First version of M39 for SLR cameras (until 1967). Flange focal distance - 45,2 mm
3) Second version of M39 for SLR cameras (after 1967). Flange focal distance - 45,5 mm
4) Version for half-frame cameras (18×24 mm). Flange focal distance - 27,5 mm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
Paolo, Lightshow showed you waht you have to do....just do that, or if you are skeptical...

I tried but the optical block does not unscrew.
I see no grub screws, it must be stuck.
I have to find a tool that allows to apply more force. I have a couple options at home, but here I have nothing at hand.
I think i will try to find one of those collars that can be adjusted with a screwdriver, the same kind used for a water hose for example, protect the front of the lens with some plastic before clamping the collar, and then gently hammer on the screw head to free the optical block from the helicoid.
I have seen a video where the optical assembly is easily unscrewed by hand, holding the front by the preset/diaphragm rings, but if a lot of force has to be applied I am afraid I could damage the diaphragm mechanism. Maybe the right place to clamp would be the thin, black area at the front, leaving alone the two rings.
It is very thin though...
What do you think?

Thanks for the feedback, and thanks also for the interesting information about the various registers.
I knew about the half frame and the LTM, but I had no idea that after 1967 the register of other M39 cameras changed a little (which is not really so little, in this case).

cheers

Paolo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes try to hold only the front part of the lens avoiding the two rings. Use some kitchen rubber gloves on the front, they are miraculous sometimes Smile And no hammering whatsoever!

Take a look at my signature for tutorials Wink

Tomas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set the preset ring, the aperture ring and the focus ring to half way positions, this will protect things from bending or breaking.
Grasp the grip around the mount, and grasp the optics section(everything above the focus ring), and turn the optics section in a CCW (counter clockwise) direction to unscrew it. There should be no grub/set screws.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
Yes try to hold only the front part of the lens avoiding the two rings. Use some kitchen rubber gloves on the front, they are miraculous sometimes Smile And no hammering whatsoever!

Of couse gentle hammering, with a rubber or wooden hammer (the former is better).
I wouldn't exclude this method.
I am beginner with reflex lenses, but i am a large format lens collector and I've opened many of them.
An example of success with the clamp/hammer system.
Years ago i bought for very cheap a petzval from phtografica.de (the largest Ebay shop of its kind). They could not open the lens and it was not marked, so i bought it for very cheap. After trying can openers, the tool to remove oil filters from car engines, etc, etc, i tried with the clamp/plastic/hammer. It was a very strange (unheard of, AFAIK) reversed Petzval, and inked on two glasses i found "Voigtland & Sohn, Wien und Braunschweig". Which dates the lens (probably an experiment) before 1862!
Without the hammer it would still be a no-name Petzval of rather low collector value Smile

I'm not encouraging anybody to do the same, just reporting personal experience...

cheers

Paolo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be no need to hammer anything in a lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. P. wrote:
It seems to me that all problems are caused by ignorance.

In the Soviet Union, four variants of M39 threaded mounting were used.

1) M39 - almost complete analog of LTM (L39). For rangefinder cameras. Flange focal distance - 28,8 mm
2) First version of M39 for SLR cameras (until 1967). Flange focal distance - 45,2 mm
3) Second version of M39 for SLR cameras (after 1967). Flange focal distance - 45,5 mm
4) Version for half-frame cameras (18×24 mm). Flange focal distance - 27,5 mm

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Great information!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
The optics unscrew from the helicoid and there are shims between the 2, add or remove as required.

OK bit of a delayed bump on this thread but thanks for that advice! Been going through my lenses to test them on the Fuji XH-1 and my "zebra" Helios 44 in M39 mount wasn't focusing at infinity. Managed to do the fix on a train it was that quick and simple and it works great now!

Thanks!!

Purely a test shot but this shows how far the focus is going now..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if one day you want to CLA it click on the link in my signature Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomasg wrote:
And if one day you want to CLA it click on the link in my signature Smile

Noted. 😁

Thankfully it was only really the focus that's an issue on it. Despite looking a touch rough around the edges it's in pretty good condition optically for a lens bought cheap along with a Zenit (quelle surpise.. 😂)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im (not) happy to say that if you have just 1 thick alu ring and you remove it,

then aperture ring will be (very possible) blocked.

So its necessary to have a few thin rings to adjust the infinity but also to allow aperture ring to move freely.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally you would have a thick ring and a couple thin rings to get the shim thickness correct, but they may have just used a single thick ring that they would sand/file down to the required thickness.

This is my preferred way so you can use the lens on any M42 adapter alongside other M42 lenses.
The other way is to modify an M42 adapter for mirrless cameras, the ones that have a chromed brass insert that's held in by set screws, you can file/sand the rear of the insert to reduce the Registration or add shims to increase it, both will work, but you would have to Cary multiple adapters, one dedicated to the lens.

To make the shims from shim stock wouldn't be simple onless you have access to a lathe, then you can make 2 sets of dies to clamp the shim stock and turn away the excess.
Without access to a lathe, you can still make the shims relatively easy, you'll need 2 round bars with the correct diameter (or one with 2 diameters on each end, and clamp the shim stock to the end of the rod against a flat surface, use a sharp razor blade or other tool that is sharp and scratch around the circumference till you break through, then smooth off the edges with sandpaper so they won't cut you. So you would reduce the thickness of a thick shim and then add thin shims to fine tune the thickness.

Of course all this depends on if you can't reach infinity(shim is too thick) or focus past infinity(shim is too thin).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, calculated and i need to shim 0.9mm max from this 1 think alu ring.

Have already flattening thick glass with fine sandpaper so it shouldn't be a problem.

well a bit of a mess ...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sanding down aluminum is a bit messy, your hands get stained, latex/nitrile gloves help, so can soapy water.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, been sanding down the head of one of my two strokers recently - imagine the mess,

this tiny ring is a piece of the cake,

but still have to do it in the kitchen, so ..