Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hacking Fujis 801 exposure ring
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Hacking Fujis 801 exposure ring Reply with quote

as the title,
any known hack to use other M42 lenses but without pressing dof button together with the shutter button ..
quite annoying and slow handling

I knew I will be sorry at one point for removing that tab from lenses ...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What camera you using it on? if something like an E mount or Fuji /M43 cut a groove in to an M42 adaptor so that it sits inside it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Hacking Fujis 801 exposure ring Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
as the title,
any known hack to use other M42 lenses but without pressing dof button together with the shutter button ..
quite annoying and slow handling

I knew I will be sorry at one point for removing that tab from lenses ...

The only option I can think of is to use a Fujica AX5 35mm film body with the 'XD' adaptor fitted. This will allow the use of any auto-aperture M42 lens with open-aperture metering in 'Program' and 'Shutter priority' modes! Possibly the only camera ever to offer this functionality Wink

A couple of things to note :-
i) Only the XD adaptor in the AX5 has this functionality, not the XS adaptor nor any other model camera in the range.
ii) The shutter in the AX5 (and others) is electronically controlled. The calibration is performed by fitting very low-value (difficult to find) capacitors, which have a tendency to fail and need replacing.
iii) The shutter in the AX5 (and others) gets "tired" eventually and is not reliable at high speeds. A clean/service may restore functionality, but re-calibration may be required ... see ii) above Wink

This is all from personal experience. I used an AX5 for many years, primarily to take advantage of the widely available high-quality screw-fit primes that had become totally unfashionable in the '80's and '90's Wink

The removal of the 'tab' on the aperture ring of the Fujinon lenses doesn't affect this functionality on the AX5 with adaptor, but of course limits it's use if ever you want to revert to the ST801. I bit the bullet and filed the tabs on all my Fujinons (and glued in the pin) so's I can use them easily on my Pentax DSLR's.

Good luck Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, great info !

ax5 is quite rare camera and this ring even more rare. i have already xs ring but you say it will not work ..

I had also an idea of 'putting back' the tab but I havent found the right way to do it. super glue could do the trick but also can make a lot of mess on the lens. JB Weld / epoxy thing maybe even better, shaping and leave it 24h to dry

Thanx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex_d wrote:
hi, great info !

ax5 is quite rare camera and this ring even more rare. i have already xs ring but you say it will not work ..

I had also an idea of 'putting back' the tab but I havent found the right way to do it. super glue could do the trick but also can make a lot of mess on the lens. JB Weld / epoxy thing maybe even better, shaping and leave it 24h to dry

Thanx

Can't help further, sorry. I had two XD adaptors and sold them on eBay about three years ago, along with a bunch of other accessories, when I was clearing out the "toy box" to make room for more "stuff" Wink

The AX5 bodies I had went the way of all good things and were disposed of when I moved over to Pentax, about 20 years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's all good, got me today as new 28/3.5 with the tab on, so now I have 28 and 55.

I'll see the way of gluing something to other lenses to recover the tab

thanx