Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Konica Hexanon 40/1.8 weird color
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:16 am    Post subject: Konica Hexanon 40/1.8 weird color Reply with quote

Just got this lens and I've expected it to be all black... am I missing something?
to ge honest I like it

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is all black.
I've seen that dark purple sheen ... it comes from a "Sharpie" pen ... it'll probably wear off quickly enough or wipe off immediately with a drop of alcohol.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would call it baked formula, heating the outside black metal parts I side the oven would turn from black to the reddish color from that picture

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kypfer wrote:
Mine is all black.
I've seen that dark purple sheen ... it comes from a "Sharpie" pen ... it'll probably wear off quickly enough or wipe off immediately with a drop of alcohol.

It's not a sharpie... all metal parts of the lens are this color even the inside

kiddo wrote:
I would call it baked formula, heating the outside black metal parts I side the oven would turn from black to the reddish color from that picture

I don't know... the lens looks nice and not heat treated... for this to be done one would need to dissasemble the whole lens... regreasing the helicoid... it's just unlikely that someone would go to this length

the color is brownish/red

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here it's compared to other konicas from my collection... the color is exactly the same as I see it with my eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikonD wrote:
kypfer wrote:
Mine is all black.

It's not a sharpie... all metal parts of the lens are this color even the inside

kiddo wrote:

I don't know... the lens looks nice and not heat treated... for this to be done one would need to dissasemble the whole lens... regreasing the helicoid... it's just unlikely that someone would go to this length

the color is brownish/red

I've seen it done on other things not lenses , results are same ,same color

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The (black) dyes used in anodising were usually a closely guarded proprietary formulation (not sure if they still are these days, and not sure about other colours).

Poorer quality black dyes were liable to get a reddish or blueish sheen over time; I e.g. have some older Minolta early ROKKOR lenses do the same on me, the later ROKKOR lenses are always fine (post - Leitz/Leica collaboration funny enough, may or may not be a coincidence. E.g. from memory I read somewhere that Leica also shared their black chromium finish procedure with Minolta).

Yours looks extreme though; may well have been someone touching it up with a sharpie.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RokkorDoctor wrote:
Yours looks extreme though; may well have been someone touching it up with a sharpie.

It's not a touchup... nothing comes off... tried it with IPA and acetone... it's just worn I guess

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's baked purposely by some other owner or factory itself (special edition lol) - you guys try it with any cheap lantern,same result

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if those parts are aluminium(probably) then it's (something) about anodisation.
it's not strange to have a bit different color sometimes, even by accident.

the fact that 40/1.8 came from a different factory than other konica lenses (according to wide-accepted knowledge) could also be an answer.

I think i have seen a bit mis-colored example (or i even have it somethere), however much less then from your picture.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m pretty sure this is a DIY modification.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikonD wrote:
Just got this lens and I've expected it to be all black... am I missing something?
to ge honest I like it

No, it should be "all black" indeed! That lens is a mystery to me ...!

kiddo wrote:
I've seen it done on other things not lenses , results are same ,same color

Interesting information!

RokkorDoctor wrote:
The (black) dyes used in anodising were usually a closely guarded proprietary formulation ...

Poorer quality black dyes were liable to get a reddish or blueish sheen over time; I e.g. have some older Minolta early ROKKOR lenses do the same on me,

Yep; also seen e. g. my MC-converted AR 3.5/80-160mm or my 9.5/18mm Fisheye. And on some Yashica ML lenses!

RokkorDoctor wrote:
... from memory I read somewhere that Leica also shared their black chromium finish procedure with Minolta).

True (though I cannot recall my source as well; it certainly wasn't the internet - maybe Josef Scheibels books? Or even some advertising? It first was applied on the black XD series SLRs (as well as to the R4 of course), and in my opinion it feels / looks quite a bit better (than the black finish of the Nikon F3 or the Canon new F-1.

caspert79 wrote:

Interestingly also the inside parts are modified. The brownish small inner ring visible from the front is sitting behind the first lens of the AR 1.4/40mm!

S

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:

caspert79 wrote:

Interestingly also the inside parts are modified. The brownish small inner ring visible from the front is sitting behind the first lens of the AR 1.4/40mm!

S

Yeah, whoever did it, did a thorough job. However, I don’t think you want this color inside the lens instead of black for optical reasons, so i can’t image a manufacturer would do this. It’s also not a color you’d expect if it was a ‘special edition’.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got some time with the lens today... I think it's seen the sun a bit too much... it looks like the sun bleached the color
there a bit of black on the back side of the lens... when it's mounted on a camera it's under the lens... I guess where the sun don't shine... Could have been a display lens?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one "did it." It's simply faded anodizing dye. Can be caused by a bad batch or using the lens in an alkaline environment or sitting in strong sunlight for an extended period, which is probably what happened here. Pretty common occurrence, actually. Manufacturers used black dyes with different undertones in different models/batches, so, for example, I have a Konica AR 50mm f/1.4 that has similarly faded but looks bluish rather than bronze.

Considering the back half of the front barrel isn't faded, it was probably left with the focus at infinity for a very long time, which protected that portion while the rest of the lens was exposed to whatever caused the fading. The aperture ring and name ring on this model are plastic, which is why they remain unfaded.

caspert79 wrote:
stevemark wrote:

caspert79 wrote:

S

Yeah, whoever did it, did a thorough job. However, I don’t think you want this color inside the lens instead of black for optical reasons, so i can’t image a manufacturer would do this. It’s also not a color you’d expect if it was a ‘special edition’.

Last edited by BrianSVP on Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:02 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black chrome was only ever used on the camera bodies, not on the lenses themselves, which by the time the black nickel chrome was introduced were all anodized aluminum.

RokkorDoctor wrote:
E.g. from memory I read somewhere that Leica also shared their black chromium finish procedure with Minolta).

The finish on the Nikons and Canons is plain black lacquer over brass, so not integral to the metal surface as in the black chrome. The black chrome has the advantage that it does not flake as the lacquer will, and it's less prone to scratching.

stevemark wrote:

True (though I cannot recall my source as well; it certainly wasn't the internet - maybe Josef Scheibels books? Or even some advertising? It first was applied on the black XD series SLRs (as well as to the R4 of course), and in my opinion it feels / looks quite a bit better (than the black finish of the Nikon F3 or the Canon new F-1.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it would of be left unused on the sun, would have the aperture ring same redish color instead black;probably when they baked it , they left the two rings inside , that´s the reason same ring would have two color
honestly, i cannot believe lenses would turn that color by the heat/light of the sun, to bake anodized aluminum for changing color, it needs plenty of heat
there might be the option that some bad quality batch came out like that to the manufacturer , and somebody thought about putting it together (maybe some award for employee)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrianSVP wrote:
No one "did it." It's simply faded anodizing dye. Can be caused by a bad batch or using the lens in an alkaline environment or sitting in strong sunlight for an extended period, which is probably what happened here.

Sounds reasonable. Maybe even a combination of two causes - A) some sub-standard anodizing and B) prolonged exposure to (sun-)light. I remember a batch of prestigious white (well: off-white) Minolta AF 2.8/200mm APO lenses where the paint was flaking off the aluminum very easily ...

kiddo wrote:
if it would of be left unused on the sun, would have the aperture ring same redish color instead black

Aperture ring is NOT anodized aluminum, but plastics.
http://www.artaphot.ch/konica-ar/objektive/432-konica-hexanon-40mm-f18

kiddo wrote:
honestly, i cannot believe lenses would turn that color by the heat/light of the sun, to bake anodized aluminum for changing color, it needs plenty of heat

What you "believe" is not relevant - reality is what counts Wink! As you can see from the above images, the front ring of the lens was partly bleached. This only can happen with light, but not with heat: The metal (aluminum in this case) has a such a good thermal conductivity that the entire front ring always has an uniform temperature. If bleaching would have orrurred as a result of heat, the entire frontring (including the parts hidden under the focusing ring) would have been bleached.

S

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/lFqABKH2taE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a few cheap aluminum rifle scope bases that are plum purple like that- directly from he factory in China.
The finish seems to adhere just as well as the black on the Weaver scope bases...

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
https://youtu.be/lFqABKH2taE

That's, however, a solvent based paint - certainly not the same as anodizing, even though its name "... Anodized" suggests so:
https://www.paintdocs.com/docs/webPDF.jsp?SITEID=DUPLI&prodno=MC206&doctype=SDS&lang=2

S

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plum Brown Barrel Finish
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=Plum+Brown+Barrel+Finish&atb=v411-4__&iax=images&ia=images

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few years ago I've seen a guy baking some black anodized flashlights, same color result and changing , depending on the temperature and time exposed
https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/comments/ccsgdu
https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/comments/ccsgdu/before_and_after_heat_treated_s2/
I can believe sun light heat can change colors in many items , but regarding anodized aluminum it requires lot of heat as far as I've read
https://budgetlightforum.com/t/fw3a-mod-thread-post-yours/56663/9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dyes used to anodize aluminum are not substantially different from the ones used to dye clothing. The freshly anodized surface is porous and absorbs the dye, and then the pores are sealed either through heating (boiling/steaming), which closes the pores, or with a nickel acetate or similar sealant. While chemical sealants provide some degree of protection to the color, even they don't block 100% of the UV in sunlight, which will bleach out the color in exactly the same manner it does your bedroom curtains.

Color loss can also be caused by alkaline environments, which gradually break down the oxide anodized layer, allowing the pores to reopen and the colored dye to physically wear away. This is essentially a slo-mo version of the lye dip typically used to strip an existing anodized layer prior to re-finishing.

These Konica 40mm lenses contain a substantial amount of plastic, not just the aperture and name rings, but also portions of the helical. In order to bake it and not melt them, you'd have to strip it down to individual components, and bake them individually, in which case, you wouldn't see the two-tone fading as you do on the front barrel.

You're barking up the wrong tree here. Occam's razor says it's almost certainly the simpler solution - environmental factors caused this fading, either UV/sun light (more likely) or exposure to alkalinity (less likely, since there isn't evidence of other corrosion).

kiddo wrote:
Few years ago I've seen a guy baking some black anodized flashlights, same color result and changing , depending on the temperature and time exposed
https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/comments/ccsgdu
https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/comments/ccsgdu/before_and_after_heat_treated_s2/
I can believe sun light heat can change colors in many items , but regarding anodized aluminum it requires lot of heat as far as I've read
https://budgetlightforum.com/t/fw3a-mod-thread-post-yours/56663/9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic of the Konica AR 50mm f/1.4 I mentioned upthread.

Most people don't realize that all black dyes have a base color undertone. You might have noticed this if you ever have accidentally gotten chlorine bleach on a black garment, leaving bleach spots that aren't gray or white, but some other color. In the case of the 40mm, the undertone of the black anodizing is bronze, which is revealed as the black fades. In the 50mm f/1.4 below, the base color is blue.

This isn't as extreme example as the 40mm at the top of this thread, but if you compare the front barrel and the focus ring, which is where the fading has primarily occurred, you will notice that it is fading to a base tint of blue, while the lower barrel portion remains nice and black.

These are probably the two most common undertone colors used in black anodizing dyes (bronze for a warmer black, blue for a cooler one), so it's no surprise that either would show up on faded lens barrels. Konica obviously has employed both in different lens models.