Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon 5DS and 5DSR Cameras -- Too Much?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Canon 5DS and 5DSR Cameras -- Too Much? Reply with quote

Well, with the release of these two new 50.6mp FF DSLRs, Canon has regained top bragging rights in the megapixel wars. Earlier today, I watched a rather lengthy presentation given by Canon USA in which it was emphasized repeatedly how these new cameras would provide unsurpassed image resolution, how they would rival medium format digital cameras or digital backs, while providing a more convenient form factor and a substantial savings.

Well, this all sounds really great -- until one begins to think a bit more critically. Like, for instance, are there any lenses available that can resolve the detail that this huge new sensor can store? Back when Modern Photography magazine still existed, their lens tests always listed resolution in line pairs per millimeter (lppmm). Any lens that managed lppmm numbers in the high 60s always scored "Excellent." Only a very tiny few lenses tested had resolution numbers which exceeded 70 lppmm. And if you crunch the numbers, with a full frame sensor, 70 lppmm translates into 16.9 megapixels.

So, is Nikon building optics that are way sharper now that can handle the 800-series cameras 36mp? Or now that Canon has introduced a 50mp sensor, can we assume that Canon is now producing lenses that will resolve the amount of detail a 50.6mp sensor can hold?

Honestly, I doubt it very much. A 50.6mp sensor would require lenses with over 120 lppmm resolution in order for the sensor's output to be fully realized. That's almost twice the resolution that the old Modern Photography magazine considered to be "excellent." Chances are, the only lenses on Earth that will get close to these resolution numbers are highly specialized process lenses that are good for only a very narrow range of tasks.

You know what this reminds me of? These huge new sensors remind me of modern flatbed scanners with their very high claimed resolution numbers -- like 4800 ppi (as with the Epson 4870 and 4990) or 9600 ppi (as with the 700-series Epsons), when even the best of them test out at barely a tad over 2000 ppi. All the leftover resolution just ends up as file bloat. Which makes me wonder if the same thing is happening to digital image files internal to the camera.

You know, Nikon was smarter by half when they chose a 16.2mp sensor for their classy, retro DF FF DSLR. A 16.2mp sensor is "matched" to the resolution of some of the best lenses around. Nikon realized that there was little point in using a bigger sensor, since the extra resolution would be wasted. So I guess I gotta ask the folks at Canon -- are we really gonna be able to see a clear difference with photos taken with these new ultra high-output sensors?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a 50MP Bayer filter, you will need to pay more for an high resolution lens. I would rather they made a 16MP full-color RGB sensor rather than a 50MP Bayer filter. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pine for Kodachrome 25.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people viewing their images just on their PC monitors! Many people's Hobby is to watch the sharpness of their glasses, increasing the images up and over 100% on the monitor.

With this new 50MP Canon DSRL, these people will be crying thick tears, if they're notice and seeing the optical qualities of their lenses!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped in at sonyalpharumors.com and was browsing through their listings to see if I could find out anything more about the new mirrorless FF models that Sony is supposed to be releasing very soon, and I came across an article quoting Tamron as stating that they had no plans to make lenses for the A7 cameras. Here's part of the quote:

"The Spanish site DSLRmagazine asked Tamron if they plan to make lenses for the Sony A7 system. But the official answer was: 'Currently we have no intention to cover this line of business, although we have a very good relationship with that particular brand.'

He also confirmed the new 15-30mm Sp lens can resolve the new 50 megapixel FF sensors. This fits with a rumor I got back many months ago. That source gave me the lens specs as first and also told me Sony would make a close to 50MP FF camera too. Question now is only WHEN that camera will be announced to fight back the Canon 5ds."

I would sure like to find out more about Tamron's definition of "resolving" a 50mp sensor. The math is straightforward. A full frame sensor will be 36mm x 24mm, if it follows the same size conventions of 35mm film cameras. If we use the Canon value of 50.6 megapixels, that's 50.6M = 24mm * x pixels/mm * 36mm * x pixels/mm. Simplifying things, we get 50,600,000 = 864 * x^2 or 50,600,000/864 = x^2. Take the square root of both sides and we get x = 242. This is the number of pixels per millimeter with a 50.6 mp FF sensor. But we want to put this in terms we're used to seeing, namely Modern Photography's test chart results, which are in line pairs per millimeter. So we just divide 242 by 2 to get pairs. Which gives is 121.

Now, I don't know about you, but I have never seen a lens test in which a lens had resolution numbers that were even close to 121 lppmm. If Tamron is now producing lenses that hav 121 lppmm resolution, that all by itself is sensational, headline material, IMHO,

Doing a bit more googling, I ran across an article at photographylife.com that has this paragraph:

Lenses could be a source of problems too. If you want edge to edge sharpness, forget about using lenses older than 5 years. Lenses designed for film cameras and early digital cameras might do well in the center of the frame, but will surely suffer everywhere else. Thats because many lenses are not optimized for high resolution digital camera sensors and older film lenses are not designed to perform on a flat sensor. This all means that to take full advantage of the 50+ MP sensor, one has to use the latest generation lenses that are specifically designed to yield maximum sharpness and contrast on imaging sensors. If your lenses are unable to resolve 50 MP, there will be little advantage to owning such a high resolution camera. Images will also suffer from poor technique and handling of such equipment in the field. Hence, while there are clear benefits to high resolution sensors, there are a few variables to keep in mind and it all has to come together to truly be advantageous.

I have some problems with that paragraph, especially where he writes "older film lenses are not designed to perform on a flat sensor." That right there tells me he doesn't know what he's talking about. Yes, I'm aware of the concept of plane curvature, but that is due do the spherical nature of optics and is concerned more with the curvature of the "plane" of the subject rather than the film plane. A film =plane= is just as flat as any sensor is. But still, it is undisputable that lens designers are having to resort to a different bag of tricks nowadays with digital cameras than they used to have to deal with with film. But it seems to me that resolution isn't just some sort of magical value that can be greatly increased just because they wish it to be so, which is the impression the author is giving me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that 50 MP is enough. A Nikon 24 MP APS-C D7100 has a pixel density equivalent to a ~ 55 MP on FF. And it shows moire with a kit lens!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some superior lenses reach more than 120lp/mm at 10% contrast in the centre part if they stopped down to F4.5 to F5.6(Table 2 from http://vitaleartconservation.com/PDF/affects_of_lens_quality_on_image_resolution_v3a_draft.pdf).

and from Zeiss http://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Photography/new/pdf/en/cln_archiv/cln13_en_web.pdf
Quote:
And how about resolution? On the optical test bench, Zeiss/ARRI ULTRA PRIME lenses typically produce resolutions of 200 lp/mm (linepairs per millimeter) and beyond. (Don't be misled by the fact that Zeiss data sheets plot MTF graphs only for up to 40 lp/mm!) This is much more than the highest resolving film stock currently available can process (around 160 lp/mm).

Not sure how much contrast remains at 200 lp/mm. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links, Calvin. That first one is especially informative, with tons of data.

I found it interesting to note that, despite its stating that very high resolution lenses exist, in table 2 on page 8, it in fact mentions only one: the Schneider Symar 150 at 80 lppmm. It alludes to a few others, but their data is buried in tables in which it isn't as easy to extract and understand.

I have one roll of Kodak Panatomic X left (170 lppmm). I think I'll save it for a special occasion.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's it, this 50Mp FF sensor shares a similar pixel density to current APS bodies. And people arn't running out in droves buying $$$$ glass because their images look sh1t.

This size will be fine. It's a current model APS with a wider FOV Wink

Now are current APS sensors far too dense? Probably. And to answer the questions about old glass, does old glass lens look crap in the center on current APS bodies?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that as a Canon 5D3 owner/user, I'm a little perplexed at these 2 cameras they've released. I'm sure that there are some photographers that can make use of the extra size of the images, however it seems to me that the low pass filter bypass is just an easy way (or easier way than removing it completely) to respond to the Nikon and Sony equivalent cameras, and that the built in intervalometer - again a nice to have - is to address one of the main reasons people are using Magic Lantern on their cameras.

I suppose they have to do something to keep up with other manufacturers, but I would have expected that there would be a much better frames per second, and improved ISO performance over previous models.

While I am quite content with my 5D3 at the moment, if Canon continue as they are at the moment, by the time I need a new camera body I would almost certainly be switching to A.N. Other manufacturer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tromboads and sichko are correct. The resolving power of the 50MP FF sensors are the same as the current 24MP APS-C sensors (within 5% or so). The pixel pitch of the 50MP is about 4.1 microns, of the 24MP about 3.9 microns. In fact, the FF sensor has slightly less resolution.

The Bayer filter lessens the resolution because of the interpolation required to fill in the 'blank' pixels in each color plane. And that is for the X-Y distances. Look at the diagonal interpolations and the resolution goes down even further.

Cheers,
Lou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snodge wrote:
I must admit that as a Canon 5D3 owner/user, I'm a little perplexed at these 2 cameras they've released. I'm sure that there are some photographers that can make use of the extra size of the images, however it seems to me that the low pass filter bypass is just an easy way (or easier way than removing it completely) to respond to the Nikon and Sony equivalent cameras, and that the built in intervalometer - again a nice to have - is to address one of the main reasons people are using Magic Lantern on their cameras.

I suppose they have to do something to keep up with other manufacturers, but I would have expected that there would be a much better frames per second, and improved ISO performance over previous models.

While I am quite content with my 5D3 at the moment, if Canon continue as they are at the moment, by the time I need a new camera body I would almost certainly be switching to A.N. Other manufacturer.

Canon's been taking a real beating in the press lately because they haven't been upgrading their sensors the way everybody else has, and I'm sure that this has hurt their sales. Hey, it's like horsepower with performance cars. Horsepower sells cars. High pixel counts sell cameras. High end cameras are akin to performance cars, in that people are forking over lots of cash for big numbers. High horsepwer in cars, high pixel counts in DSLRs -- or mirrorless cameras -- it's a strong parallel.

Your average photographer isn't educated enough to understand how pixels work with digicams. I'm barely so. Some of the manufacturers are doing a better job at selling their products because of pixel density than others. I'm reminded again of Nikon. They came out with the 800-series and its 36mp sensor, and at the same time they come out with that retro FF camera -- the DF -- that has "only" a 16.2mp sensor (albeit one borrowed from the D4). But when you crunch the numbers and compare pixels to line pairs, what you find is a sensor that can handle some of the very sharpest lenses made. 16.2mp translates approximately to 67 lppmm. And 67 lppmm is the resolution of an excellent lens. So, I'll bet Nikon was thinking they'd be better off with a sensor that will handle most good lenses just fine, but because of its pixel count with a FF sensor, the pixels aren't crowded at all, which results in a camera that has excellent available light picture-taking ability. But Canon has taken the easy way out instead -- well, easy in the sense that it might be easier just to throw high mp-count cameras at the "crowd" rather than explain and educate, and hope they'll get it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
But when you crunch the numbers and compare pixels to line pairs, what you find is a sensor that can handle some of the very sharpest lenses made. 16.2mp translates approximately to 67 lppmm. And 67 lppmm is the resolution of an excellent lens. So, I'll bet Nikon was thinking they'd be better off with a sensor that will handle most good lenses just fine, but because of its pixel count with a FF sensor, the pixels aren't crowded at all, which results in a camera that has excellent available light picture-taking ability. But Canon has taken the easy way out instead -- well, easy in the sense that it might be easier just to throw high mp-count cameras at the "crowd" rather than explain and educate, and hope they'll get it.

I think that it's not the number crunching which is the problem but rather the physical model. Can you really resolve one line pair in the image using only one line pair on the sensor ? For reasons suggested by Lou (lm4187) and for other reasons, some suggest that rather more are needed - as many as six sensor lines per image line. See, for example : http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53571849 . That would give us a 5-600 MP sensor.

I've no idea why Nikon chose 16 MP for the D4, D4s, Df. However one possibity is frame rate. The D4 shoots at about 10 fps. The D800 which has a 36 MP sensor shoots at about 4fps. Both use the same (EXPEED 3) processor. It's possible that this is a bottleneck and limits the rate of information transfer from the sensor to the buffer. The transfer rate is similar (16*10 = 160, 36*4 = 144) for the two cameras. It's just a guess of course. I think that Ken R wrote about this somewhere but I can't find a link at the moment - sorry Ken!

Edit for typos.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest reading the following article before continuing the discussion.
http://luminous-landscape.com/do-sensors-aeoeoutresolveae%C2%9D-lenses/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I would suggest reading the following article before continuing the discussion.
http://luminous-landscape.com/do-sensors-aeoeoutresolveae%C2%9D-lenses/

Thanks for the link. Quote ...

Some tests made by scanning test charts show that, in fact, it could be necessary to have much more than just two pixels per line pair....

(my use of bold)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very informative article. It combines much of what camera optics experts have written with much of what telescope optics experts have written. I just skimmed through it. It will take a good deal of study before I can assimilate it all. It does remind me of when I used to be a much more active astronomer than I am now, and when I actually conducted some resolution tests that are discussed in the article. When I began this thread, though, I specifically decided not to include things like airy disks and diffraction limits in this discussion.

Sichko asks "Can you really resolve one line pair in the image using only one line pair on the sensor ? For reasons suggested by Lou (lm4187) and for other reasons, some suggest that rather more are needed - as many as six sensor lines per image line."

Look, I was just trying to keep things simple without getting complicated or picky. When I'm talking about line pairs, I mean that by definition, one line pair is equivalent to two pixels. When referring to the AF Test Charts that are still one of the most widely used methods for determining resolution, when counting the smallest distinguishable pair of lines, this must be the equivalent to a pair of pixels. And that is the Rosetta Stone that I've used to translate between more traditional measurements of resolution and pixel-based resolution.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using these cameras will we be discussing (and choosing) mf lenses by how much zoom from 100% pixels to make a sharp image? Like, "with this lens we need to zoom 3X from 100% pixels to see any sharp detail" and show the 3X100% pixels sample crop. Great cameras for lens testing, yes?

As if it matters, the digital audio guys are wanting 1MHz sample rate -- having sensors "out resolve" lenses gives some wiggle room, yes?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Using these cameras will we be discussing (and choosing) mf lenses by how much zoom from 100% pixels to make a sharp image? Like, "with this lens we need to zoom 3X from 100% pixels to see any sharp detail" and show the 3X100% pixels sample crop. Great cameras for lens testing, yes?

Well, I dunno about all that, but one thing I have noticed when I've tried out a few old and, to me, not very sharp, zooms with my NEX 7, I was surprised at the crispness and amount of detail these old zooms were recording. Which has caused me to rethink how I've traditionally regarded lens IQ. I mean, when I tried these lenses out with my 10.1mp EOS DSLR, they didn't seem to exhibit near the sharpness that they are now showing with my 24.3 mp NEX. It almost seems as if, with the higher pixel count, lens resolution increases accordingly. I would have expected just the opposite to occur, and it hasn't. Almost seems to defy logic. I have conducted only brief tests with these lenses. I need to conduct more in-depth tests to get some idea of what's really happening.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Well, I dunno about all that, but one thing I have noticed when I've tried out a few old and, to me, not very sharp, zooms with my NEX 7, I was surprised at the crispness and amount of detail these old zooms were recording. Which has caused me to rethink how I've traditionally regarded lens IQ. I mean, when I tried these lenses out with my 10.1mp EOS DSLR, they didn't seem to exhibit near the sharpness that they are now showing with my 24.3 mp NEX. It almost seems as if, with the higher pixel count, lens resolution increases accordingly. I would have expected just the opposite to occur, and it hasn't. Almost seems to defy logic. I have conducted only brief tests with these lenses. I need to conduct more in-depth tests to get some idea of what's really happening.

I think you're on to something there. Something about the lppi resolving power of sensors controversy no doubt -- perhaps there is a relationship between pixel densities & lppi, something to do with harmonics, where sometimes the pixel density matches something in the lens resolution resulting in sharper image than with a sensor of less or more pixel density. More likely, the sensor resolution measurements are incorrect -- sensor resolution is actually much less than measurement would indicate. It would seem to be related to the lppi controversy -- for lppi to equal ppi/2, there must be precise (to 1/2 pixel diameter!) camera alignment in 3 planes!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Here's a link : http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/8211010628/photos/1757633 to a picture which shows "lens resolution of a 50 mm Nikon lens" mounted on (i) a Nikon D3 which has 12 MP and (ii) a Nikon D3x which has 24 MP. The resolution is higher for the higher MP camera. The results can be understood in terms of the multiplication of MTFs. However there's a simpler qualitative explanation. Think of high resolution or sharpness - call it what you will - as a lack of "blur". Any lens is characterised by so called aberrations which will blur the image. So the lens presents a blurred image at the sensor and the sensor blurs this blurred image further since the pixels are not infintely small. So blur acts upon blur to give us a total blur which is what we see and measure. and if the total blur is small we see a sharp image or measure a high resolution. We can reduce the total blur by reducing either the blur due to the lens - we use a sharper, high quality lens, OR by reducing the blur due to the sensor - we use a sensor with smaller pixels. Or both of course. So we can produce a sharper image by using a sharper lens or a sensor with smaller pixels. Either or both work. When we talk about the resolution of a lens we are often - as in the link given above - talking about "system" resolution rather than the lens itself - the "System" being the "Lens PLUS Sensor/Camera".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, and methinks your explanation has the ring of truth to it, me lad. I can relate what you've written to the concept of "significant figures" I was first taught in my Chem 1a class many years ago. If you reach the point where the significant figure is +/- a certain value and you've reached that certain value, attempting to achieve a more precise value through measurement results in basically a random result. I can equate that to "blur". So with a sensor that has a higher mp count, the critical +/- sigfig willl be proportionally less than that of a sensor with a lower mp count. Is this a valid comparison, do you think?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to calculate sensor spatial resolution?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

Thanks for the link. Calvin links to an article ( http://photo.blogoverflow.com/2012/06/the-realities-of-resolution/ ) - "The Realities of Resolution" by "jrista". The same author presents some of the same material on Canon Rumours ( http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=13249.0 ) and parts of it are questioned. Some of the arguments might be a little heavy in maths and jargon for non-specialists. However one of the contributors compares equivalent pictures taken with the Canon 5D MkII and the Pentax Q. The "Q" has a pixel pitch of 1.55 microns which is the equivalent of 360 MP on FF. The adavantage of the high resolution sensor, in terms of image detail, is clear.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

Thanks for the link. Calvin links to an article ( http://photo.blogoverflow.com/2012/06/the-realities-of-resolution/ ) - "The Realities of Resolution" by "jrista". The same author presents some of the same material on Canon Rumours ( http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=13249.0 ) and parts of it are questioned. Some of the arguments might be a little heavy in maths and jargon for non-specialists. However one of the contributors compares equivalent pictures taken with the Canon 5D MkII and the Pentax Q. The "Q" has a pixel pitch of 1.55 microns which is the equivalent of 360 MP on FF. The adavantage of the high resolution sensor, in terms of image detail, is clear.

The discussion on Canon Rumours is not in plain English and I think not many people in this forum can understand it(at least not to me).

High resolution sensor can provide more detail as long as the lens can catch up the resolving power of the sensor. Take note that the SNR should be keep at low level as well as the dynamic range of the scene does not excess the capability of the sensor. We will need more processing power and storage too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
We will need more processing power and storage too.

Yes, and that is the inevitable other side of the coin, isn't it. One can already see that cameras such as the Sony A7 series and in some respect the Nikon 800 series are lagging behind when it comes to processing power. And storage will become an even thornier issue than it is currently.