Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

new lens tech
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: new lens tech Reply with quote

This could revolutionize lens making. Emphasis on 'could'.

https://phys.org/news/2020-08-lens-world-metalens-liquid-crystal.html

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say if it will ever make it to large sensor camera lenses, or even into the micro lenses in the sensor stack, but I'm sure that they will eventually make into phones in some way, possibly in a big way.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Bokeh?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
What about Bokeh?

Hard to say what specular highlights (Bokeh Balls/PSF) will look like since dust on the lens shows up there, those patterns may disappear in Bokeh.

My most interesting thoughts on it's potential in the future are: variable focal length, variable power(curvature in legacy optics), variable field curvature, variable Aspherical properties.... variable CA, variable distortion... lens modelling (similar to amplifier modelling) you could have your first shot render as a petzval, the next as Sonnar, and the next like an STF lens.... holy moly... you should be able to mimic tilt and shift to some degree... A 15-200 in the size of a 100/2 lens
Would hybrid lens be possible? Use one of these meta lenses as a correction element, let's take Canon's 85/1.2 with one meta element, that could be one heck of a lens.

Even if this variability is only 5%, you could literally tune the lens to perform how ever you wish.

I wonder if these could be used in cornea 👁 transplants? Bionic eyes!!
Happy Dog
Quote:
Emphasis on could

Yes, yes, I know, but a 1% chance at bionic eyes?
Happy Dog

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about the bio enhancement potential as well. It will be interesting to see if this actually develops into something we can purchase (during my lifetime, I'm sure eventually the tech freaks will get something going but sometimes it takes a a goodly long while)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean glaucoma.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting for the day when scientists figure out how to shape air into lenses, thus removing all aberrations. Regular old atmospheric air, perhaps, but even it if's another sort of gas, that's acceptable.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I'm waiting for the day when scientists figure out how to shape air into lenses, thus removing all aberrations. Regular old atmospheric air, perhaps, but even it if's another sort of gas, that's acceptable.

As soon as they can create small wormholes that end up at black holes and can curve space-time in front of the sensor. At first photographers will be sucked in when the control mechanism fails.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may well have an entire new suite of aberrations, unless the formula I've seen for diffraction are wrong it will still show some of the old issues.

It could open up a new set of options, allowing further improvements in existing lenses (similar to the diffractive optics already used in some lenses)

cooltouch wrote:

I suspect an air lens would also suffer from it's own aberrations - the only 'air lenses' I've seen have been pinholes which are certainly not sharp.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much can diffraction of air be changed by, say, compression or modulated compression?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air density definitely affects the otherwise stars wouldn't twinkle.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temperature inversion sometimes causes lens effects -- more than once in a boat on SF Bay looking East observed cars traveling the Nimitz Freeway in the sky! -- such as mirages & etc...