Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Welcome to the Carboniferous Period!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Welcome to the Carboniferous Period! Reply with quote

These images look like ancient marine plant life during the Carboniferous period, 300 million years ago. There is a definite underwater feel to these pics, a bit hazy and indistinct.

I wasn't quite around 300 million years ago, although I have been told that I am an old soul. Anyways, I think this funky lens is great at a time when I can only image plants, rather than people. At least it gets me out of the house!

I used a Sony A7ii and a modified rodenstock heligon 95mm F/0.95 and extension tubes for these macros. I worked out the glitches that I mentioned previously. These images are antithetical to my drive for sharpness and high definition. Always good to stretch a bit.

I have also included an image taken with a 40mm Voigtlander (shot wide open) to show the immense difference in sharpness and resolution of competent modern lenses. I actually like the murky look for atmosphere.

Please click on the image to get best resolution.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very beautiful!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite interesting how it defocuses. Have you tried shooting any portraits yet?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
Very beautiful!

Thanks Casper!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Quite interesting how it defocuses. Have you tried shooting any portraits yet?

Michael, that's because of the very shallow depth of field. Yes, I have with results like this:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love these a lot. Do you have a pic of the lens ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite lovely. You're right, they do look like they are underwater. While I've been enjoying looking at them, I've also been pondering what type of paper would suit them. I couldn't make my mind up.

Is one of them really from a 40mm Voigt?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phalbert wrote:
Love these a lot. Do you have a pic of the lens ?

Thanks. I used to have a picture. I shall see if I can take one in the near future. It is a bit of a monster!

-Charles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
Quite lovely. You're right, they do look like they are underwater. While I've been enjoying looking at them, I've also been pondering what type of paper would suit them. I couldn't make my mind up.

Yes, definitely. The last one! It looks a lot smoother but lacks sufficient character, at least compared to the rest.

I was also wondering how they would print. I am thinking to sharpen them up a bit and then submitting them to one of the shops here. I am in India, and it might take a bit of time to find a suitable lab for printing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charley5 wrote:
Sciolist wrote:

Yes, definitely. The last one! It looks a lot smoother but lacks sufficient character, at least compared to the rest.

I was also wondering how they would print. I am thinking to sharpen them up a bit and then submitting them to one of the shops here. I am in India, and it might take a bit of time to find a suitable lab for printing.

Thanks. And fingers crossed you find a good lab if you go for it.