Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon nFD 24 2.0 Focus Problem
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Canon nFD 24 2.0 Focus Problem Reply with quote

Hi,

I've recently brought a beautiful Canon nFD 24 2.0 to my repairman because I noticed that the focus before f/4 was always wrong. He had disassembled it and he discovered that there is a problem with what he calls "the focusing helicoid" that for wear moves inside the lens. Although I know that without a photo is not easy to understand the real problem, does anyone know if there is a way to fix it in someway? Should I just sell the lens? Luckily, it wasn't expensive but it's not easy to find this lens so I would prefer, if possibile, to repair it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not entirely sure about the construction of the focusing drive of this lens. But since the New FD 24mm f2 has floating elements the construction likely is similar to the New FD 24mm f2.8.

My guess is that your lens suffers from the same problem as this New FD 24mm f2.8:

The rubber layer of these guide rollers deteriorates after the years. The rollers have to be replaced or restored.

I have had success with making new plastic rollers as well as restoring the rubber coating of used brass rollers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fdlenses wrote:

I have had success with making new plastic rollers as well as restoring the rubber coating of used brass rollers.

How did you do that?