Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Perceptual Development Laboratories 2 inch f1.5 Perceptor Le
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject: Perceptual Development Laboratories 2 inch f1.5 Perceptor Le Reply with quote

That should have been "Perceptor Lens“, but looks like no way to correct a post title. Sorry

Ran across this on eBay for $34 with free shipping, so had to give it a shot. It turns out to be a very well made projector lens for 16mm I guess. I had figured it for a Bell and Howell rebrand, but it is something else altogether. Clearly a Petzval design, but this lens is massively sharp in the center, and the Petzval distortion is well controlled at the edges. It has excellent contrast with a touch of LoCA, and the bokeh balls are very smooth and even, though of course they get oval at the sides. It covers APS-C perfectly, with a little to spare. I'm posting some FF examples. These are SOOC, and just some quick shots to test.

I couldn't find out much on the Internet except this on a boardgame wiki:

Headquartered in St. Louis, this publisher seems to have focused on a variety of educational products, including animated films.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite nice Toby!

The number of characters in the title line is limited, so it cuts off...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it work better on a m4/3 sensor? I'm having an option to get a nice G80 for around 200 ,but have no clue if would work well with manual lenses (I used EM5 before and was pretty good) .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Could it work better on a m4/3 sensor? I'm having an option to get a nice G80 for around 200 ,but have no clue if would work well with manual lenses (I used EM5 before and was pretty good) .

This lens actually has enough image circle to cover APS-C, not only MFT, which would cut off the nice swirly edges

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mostly manage to find the very not normal lenses , I really like the bokeh,but I assume it's not an easy to work lens

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Perceptual Development Laboratories 2 inch f1.5 Percepto Reply with quote

kymarto wrote:
Clearly a Petzval design, but this lens is massively sharp in the center, and the Petzval distortion is well controlled at the edges.

#1 and #5 look spherical to me. Like the image is a reflection in a drop of water. Is that in some way due to the Petzval distortion you refer to? The Petzval design is an area I've never looked into.