Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Laowa 9mm f/5.6 FF RL on A7r3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Laowa 9mm f/5.6 FF RL on A7r3 Reply with quote

This lens arrived a couple of days ago.

I have scarcely used the camera (purchased during lockdown) and had taken only a brief look at what it can do indoors. (There is no significant architecture close to home).

These shots at f11 are of the inside of my local pub. The bar area is very small, just enough for small tables and for people to walk last them. The bar has a temporary frame, holding perspex, around it.

My first images were from triple flash bounced of the ceiling. However, the daylight shots were significantly sharper.

The distance markings on the lens has similar spacing between 3 feet & 5 feet and between 5 feet and infinity. So focus peaking is very useful. I could do better with another session.

Crosseye stereo:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9mm on ff, amazing 😳

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use UWAs for access, where I cannot get the subject in the frame with other lenses, not for creative use.

An occasional use, with its close focus, might be where e.g. a hollow tree has something of interest inside which will allow the camera, or just the lens, to be inserted, together with a flash source. I have already done this, with a slime mould deep inside a compost bin, but the focus was not quite right, as I could not get my eye close to the camera.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing is sharp!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Nothing is sharp!

"I could do better with another session".

It was all rather rushed so I must get there a bit earlier next week and really take my time with the focus and use only flash. I might need a smaller aperture too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the problem. It is not focus but RAW conversion which loses the detail. MY PS can't read the files. The alteernative is not good enough so I did some quickies shots at top Quality JPEGs shot at f11 with triple bounced flash from 4-6 feet:

Crop

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the two bar images, reprocessed from RAW to Tiff in Sony Imaging Edge and then via the normal Photoshop route.

Sharp and with no ghosts.

Crop:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another reworked version, which shows that I didn't chose the focus quite right. It does show how a huge car park can be framed.

One likely application of the lens hers is with classic car meetings, where i have used the Laowa 12mm (and the 7.5mm for m4/3) to good effect. I kept away from the recent meeting as coping with a new lens and social distancing was a bit too much.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just looking at the colours. They're great to my eyes. Particularly the kitchen shot. Do you think that's the lens, or the software?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
I'm just looking at the colours. They're great to my eyes. Particularly the kitchen shot. Do you think that's the lens, or the software?

With the re-worked ones, I did nothing with the colour. I did tone down the yellow quite a bit in the first set. The JPEGs look much like the RAW.

Topaz Clarity can affect colour in some applications but I don't think such has featured here.

I don't notice much difference between lenses (m4/3) but it is too soon to say that for the FF, due to little use so far.

I was certainly aware of "warm"(e.g. Tamron SP 24-48mm) and "cold" lenses (e.g. Olympus OM 35mm shift) in my film days and I still have them, potentially for use on the A7r3.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an image, which I had rejected before identifying the problem with RAW image conversion.

This is a slime mould, about a hand span across. It was inside a compost bin, on top of the decaying plant matter, some 45cm /18 inches down. I could just reach to place the camera and lens at working distance, +/- 2"/50mm in place. There was no chance of using the eye-level screen and judging focus of an UWA lens on a distant screen is hopeless. I had previously placed two RC freestanding flash unit at that level.

Due to the issues identified earlier, together with the sloping colony. I rejected the images. I then tried to harvest the substrate bearing the colony, only to flip it over.

A revisit to the RAW images via Sony software found the images to be usable, if not perfect. It was almost certainly f11.

The species is likely to be Badhamia utricularis.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

e6filmuser wrote:

With the re-worked ones, ...

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sciolist wrote:
e6filmuser wrote:

With the re-worked ones, ...

Thank you.

I am the one who is grateful. Knowing that RAW files in camera and on PC are good let me to not check the conversions. As Sony files are unfamiliar to me, I should have been less trusting!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing these images! When the lens was introduced, I honestly thought it would result in "crazy" images, just like any fisheye lens. Your samples have convinced me that images taken with the 9 mm Laowa are less difficult to "read" than I had thought before!

S

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Thanks for sharing these images! When the lens was introduced, I honestly thought it would result in "crazy" images, just like any fisheye lens. Your samples have convinced me that images taken with the 9 mm Laowa are less difficult to "read" than I had thought before!

S

That is entirely in the hands (literally) of the user.

With a stereo pair, only one of the two images can be exactly as I would like it but the stereo software deals with that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a 22cm wide view of a flash-lit clock and a crop. I think I used f8.

The RAW file was converted to a TIFF in Sony Viewer and given minimal processing and resizing in Photoshop.

The clock has no glass cover so there is much detail in the dust. Smile