Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Basic Lens Repair Kit Components
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Basic Lens Repair Kit Components Reply with quote

As lens prices continue to rise, I considering buying some lenses that have issues and attempting self repair. I have a good micro screw driver set, and a mediocre optical spanner set. What other components do I need? I see videos on Youtube using rubber plugs as grips, what are those called and where are they gotten?

My first project is a rear element removal and fungus cleaning from the below contax rear element of a 25 F2.8 which is in the mail. It looks like I just need to remove at most two rings to get to it. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's always a bit presumptious attempting to diagnose from a pic. Sometimes it is more or less WYSIWYG, the rings unscrew, the elements drop out, and you're done. But often it isn't!
Those rings look like they unscrew with a custom tool, but a lens spanner might well be ok. Hard to say if you need to remove the mount etc. Hard to say if accessing from the back is sufficient, or whether more disassembly is required to remove the rear optical block and then detach the elements from that...
Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove outer ring nut to remove rear optical block.

For removing name rings

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?&_nkw=Rubber+Repair+Tool+Set+Ring+Filter+Removal+Spanner+Wrench

I like Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Thanks for posting that tool link Reply with quote

Appreciate the link, ordered a set, and will see how it goes.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloves to not touch the glasses with your fingers. Clothes to wipe/clean them, and, my advice, when cleaning fungus start using only H peroxide (H2O2). If it does not work, try with a bit of diluted ammonia, or whatever, but this sometimes will affect the coatings also... but I have never had a problem with just peroxide.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Basic Lens Repair Kit Components Reply with quote

Gatorengineer64 wrote:
As lens prices continue to rise, I considering buying some lenses that have issues and attempting self repair. I have a good micro screw driver set, and a mediocre optical spanner set. What other components do I need? I see videos on Youtube using rubber plugs as grips, what are those called and where are they gotten?

My first project is a rear element removal and fungus cleaning from the below contax rear element of a 25 F2.8 which is in the mail. It looks like I just need to remove at most two rings to get to it. Thoughts?

Ok, outer ring will remove the the rear cell that contains all the rear elements, the inner ring will hold the rear element in place, the other elements will likely be accessible from the other end of the cell.

Screw drivers- JIS (Japan industrial Standard) they have a different shape than normal drivers and will reduce the possibility of stripping the screw head in lenses made in Japan, you'll want a couple sizes in in the cross/Phillips style and 2-3 sizes in the flat/blade style.

A spanner that can deal with slots with flat blade tips and holes with pin tips. Mine is made by Thor, last spanner I'll ever need.

Measuring calliper will be handy, especially if you have to make adjustments.

A tray to work within, a microfibre cloth to rest the lens on, an organization tray/system to place screws and items you remove to keep them in the order you removed them, a small suction cup to move lens elements gently(I found a small one with a bulb you squeeze that goes to a suction cup via a hollow tube, possibly from micro-tools), cleaning fluid and cloths(I like Eclipse lens cleaning fluid and PEC-Pads, I also use ROR residual oil remover if Eclipse doesn't work on whatever is on the lens, Eclipse is alcohol based, ROR is basically soapy water, and acetone which can ruin some materials), for grease, I like Helimax XP, I also use other grease, but this will be the best starting place, a small artist brush to apply the grease, a toothbrush to clean the helicoid, a solvent to help remove the old grease(mineral spirits).

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JIS screwdriver set. Some things, like Nikkors, are off the table without these.

Strap wrench. I've made use of this more often than you'd think. Doubles as a stuck filter remover.

Those rubber "wrenches." Mostly useful for getting name rings off.

Kimwipes. I use these everywhere - glasses, lenses, screens. Remember to only use them wetted on lens glass.

A magnet. I keep a neodymium magnet on hand to collect screws (especially escapees) and magnetize tools.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Magnet, an old HDD has a nice big neodymium, perfect for sweeping the floor looking for escapees as Mike described perfectly above.
It's assisted in the return of over 20 screws and about 4 ball bearings.